Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a radio in your Hot Rod or Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 27, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Yes, I do but it doesn't work

25 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Yes, I do but I never turn it on

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No, I would rather hear the engine

165 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. My old Beater has never had a radio and after 30 years I don't see any need installing one in this car. HRP

XXL__ and Deuces like this.
  2. norms30a

norms30a

I put this radio and speakers behind the seat but with engine, exhaust, and some wind noise I never have it on.

Attached Files:

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 60 Pontiac Bubbletop does not have a radio. Its got a radio delete plate instead. Most car radios are worthless anyway. I don't like buggering up a dash to install an aftermarket radio and installing needless wiring. This is the 21 Century theres no need for radios. For great tunes in my cars I use my I Phone and a bluetooth JBL Flip ll speaker.

Gary

4. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

the music i like is a 462 cu in bbc at 3500 r p m..

DA Suede Rods, 3340 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

I have an original am radio, converted to 12 volts, in my '55 Chevy pickup but rarely listen to it as it only picks up talk shows and colon-cleansing infomercials.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 48 has always had a radio in it of some sort. It will have the stock AM radio for the dash that is going in it plus a hidden sound system.

okndnx and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No, but thanks for asking.

8. You can use your phone or mp3 player now with wireless speakers no need for radio or bulky speakers and wire

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dapirate, lucky ink and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. You ain't right! :D HRP

dana barlow, firstinsteele and LAROKE like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Why not a little louder @ 6200 rpm?????..... o_O:D;)

11. Joe H

Joe H

No radio for me, I can go all day without listening to commercials. I work in a garage all day and the other mechanics have to have a radio, it's been the same station for the last 18 years! I don't need to be entertained out on the road, the wind and engine is all I need to hear.

okndnx, 1956 F100, partsdawg and 4 others like this.
  12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

my cross country pickup has one hidden in glove box with the ac controls. I use it sometimes, it used to be used a lot but now the level of caring is not the greatest. My 29 coupe wont get one.

28 Ford PU, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

To start with,for those that live in the now bubble of hotrod missunderstud BS;
    I'll take ya back to the real 1950s/60s of teens an hotrods,I was there an part of it ,lived it! Why we built a hotrod/custom could be put into a lot of why's all mixed together,but one was for sure to get the eye of the pretty gals. To that end at the time was also rock n roll sounds,a near must have on a date an parked for sub-races.
    Late 50s I had a radio the size of a Camel pack of smokes,that played with or with out the earbud an that was my hotrod an beachblanket sounds.=Yes nearly all hotrods n customs of the late 50s an early 60s had a radio !!!! Even if not in the dash by factory.
    Some more history;A transistor radio is a small portable radio receiver that uses transistor-based circuitry. Following their development in 1954, made possible by the invention of the transistor in 1947, they became the most popular electronic communication device in history, ... Most radios included earphone jacks and came with single earphones that made it possible to hear even if hotrod EX was fairly loud.
    A hotrod/custom ride with out 50s n 60s rock n roll,is like a V8 running on 7 clys.

I no longer use a transistor radio*,I still drive the same hotrod I drove to highschool in 1959 . Have a great sound set up hinden under dash now, along with two fairly big speakers ,
    an a tiny little control switch 1in. X 1.2in. on side of steeringcolunm. It also has a chip of 200+ 50s n 60s tunes=sounds in my rod are what they should be,not the crap of today. The radio was the sound track of life in the 50/60s ,EX an tire smoke was only extra fun interrupts.

014.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Rick28, okndnx, Saxman and 18 others like this.
  14. Mine ( 64 Riv) has an AM Wonderbar with the floor station selector switch, Nothing but talk shows but it fills the hole in the dash

283john and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes, all my cars, cycles, but rarely turned it on, as I'm cruising, enjoy the engine sounds, the wind, the solitude of just cruising. I've been cruising all my life (still do) in or on something, Summer months used to get on my cycle to clear my mind, get out of my shop (business) when the BS part was wearing on me (employees, customers, the constant juggling to keep things happy)

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. I was always told a custom was for getting girls and hot rods were for getting rid of them.

I love all three. HRP

ct1932ford, mnjeff, joel and 4 others like this.
  18. I could get into that myself. My car is loud inside even with a full exhaust out the back bumper. I took the OG radio out of my Ford, was fortunate to have found a nice block-off plate for it.
    629-015.JPG

Rick28, Sum54ford, dan31 and 2 others like this.
  19. Loud rock n' roll for me! And if it's too loud, you're too old!!

20. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

When Danny built my wagon he put a radio with a cassette tape player in it, I have only listened to a James Taylor tape once and never turn the radio on, I never listen to the radio in my van.

wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. But girls the BEST

Ben

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Amazed no one has chimed in with an 8 track player yet.........

upspirate, egads and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. iPhone and Blue Tooth Speaker works well for me, but ya' gotta really turn up the volume. On long trips I use the iPhone with noise canceling headphones. That works really well, keeps just about all the wind noise out and makes a huge difference in fatigue on long hauls.

A long time ago, way back in the 70's in an OT car, I was listening to a cassette tape (remember those?) while running about 85 on the interstate in rural Georgia. Got stopped by the GA Patrol and figured I was royally screwed. After checking my license and reg. the trooper informed me that it was illegal to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Georgia while wearing headphones. 'Told me to take them off and let me go with a warning. Never said a word about the speed...

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Seadog got the luckydog award that day! HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

I'm damn near 60 and I still crank'em up..... :cool::D
    All 500 watts between 6 speakers.....:confused:

milwscruffy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have radios in both of my cars. I don't use the radio function but listen to recorded music. One has a 12 CD changer and the other is connected to an I Pod with even more music loaded on to it. I don't let the music drown out the exhaust note though and seldom play the music when I have a passenger. The radio in my coupe is hidden behind the seat ( Not very convenient). The 4 speakers are out of sight.

27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since you asked... Like everyone else has said - AM radio just doesn't do it anymore and all those old radios are AM. I'm so old that the oldies stations don't play my music either, so what to do? I mounted one of those new fangled sound systems under the dash. Don't think that it is correct calling it a radio anymore. You can get one that will play all your old music from a stick for about $20. Electronics are so cheap now that I might as well get one with GPS since I'm still under the impression that I'll live long enough to actually drive this car some distance. Now that the car runs and I've actually backed it out of the garage, it sure would be nice to see what I backed into and this thing will work with a backup camera so do I go there? My hearing isn't what it once was and those mufflers are kind of loud anyhow, so now what? IMG_1108.JPG

28. iPhone and Bluetooth speakers. Easy Peasy…… if I remember to charge up the speakers....

29. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

And it's all because your moma don't dance and your daddy don't rock and roll

30. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Have a radio-cd player in my daily driver 56 PU , everything else has factory radio delete plates cause their too loud anyway:D the delete plate in the lark is full of SW gauges now.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.