Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Ford Model A Coupe Opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Hello everyone. Only my second post. Here's my coupe. I'm attempting to make it a late 1960s style hotrod. I know it is definitely not period correct. Are there any glaring issues that y'all see? Any opinions on the style choices I've made? This extremely well built car was purchased a few months ago from a fellow HAMBer. Thank you! IMG_20180825_193045.jpeg IMG_20180809_195108.jpeg IMG_20180825_193155.jpeg IMG_20180818_201246.jpeg IMG_20180818_201253.jpeg IMG_20180818_201301.jpeg IMG_20180826_195038.jpeg IMG_20180826_195050.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome ! Nice car ! Enjoy !

Nicholas Coe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Thank you!

wicarnut likes this.
  4. upspirate

upspirate

Well you asked.
    Wheels , tires,gauges,Overflow tank, Maybe headlights. Billet wire spacers
    Can't remember when Cal-Custom came out with those air cleaner wing nuts
    Nice car though...I like it

Nicholas Coe likes this.

5. upspirate

upspirate

BTW, those items I mentioned don't knock the car , in fact probably make it better in some ways, just not totally "period accurate"

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  6. brady1929

brady1929

All that matters, is that you like it. Looks cool to me. Enjoy it.

7. 55chevr

55chevr

Wheels and air cleaners appear the most obvious.

Joe

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

I like it the way it is, but it doesn't hurt to change 'em up once in a while. My suggestion, don't sell off the old parts!

raven and Nicholas Coe like this.
  9. upspirate

upspirate

Air cleaners are actually old marine flame arrestors from '60's maybe even '50's?
    Probably Glenwood or Nicson. I have a new one in the garage

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  10. They are original Nicson flame arrestors. A rare matched pair!

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  11. Thank you! I agree. I'm trying to think of a good wheel and tire combination.

12. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Not a huge fan of the wheels but the rest looks cool. Like the AA badge though :)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  13. I brought the AA badge back from a buddy in Dublin! I'm trying to decide what to do with the wheels and tires.

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looks good as it is. What does it matter what we think anyhow?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. I'm just looking for new ways to make it cool! I really appreciate imput! IMG_20180825_193155.jpeg

16. The '60s were a dynamic period of hot rod evolution, so you might have to define which part of the '60s you're shooting for. Early in the decade it would be black steel wheels with wide whites until about '62 then you might switch to the new fangled thin line white walls. Full hubcaps such as Dodge, or Olds, perhaps '57/8 Plymouth among others. '63 would bring in full chrome steel wheels, often without caps or maybe with bullets, but then the definitional wheel of the decade burst on the common scene...……...the American 5 spoke. This spawned some, questionable to my eye, alternatives in the Radir style or even worse, the Keystone Kustomag. Later in the decade the Cragar SS appealed to some along with the slow drift to resto rods, but that last one doesn't fit much with your car. Very late in the decade the dish mag style caught on as common.

upspirate and Nicholas Coe like this.
  17. My goal is to emulate the very late 1960s. So alternators and disc brakes. I'm feeling 1965 til 1974 with this car....

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

In that case, I really liked channeled A coupes that are full rendered.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. Wheels are to most noticeable. HRP

Nicholas Coe, upspirate and Just Gary like this.
  20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Send it to the photo shop thread and have them change the wheels and tires and maybe some other changes and see what you like.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I dig the car! If it were mine I'd ditch those side pipes and change the wheels. Not as much a period issue as my taste issue.

Nicholas Coe and upspirate like this.
  22. Bugguts

Bugguts

I like the car alot....but you asked.
    The first thing I saw in the engine shot was the CAUTION on radiator cap. Don't really need it. Also the turn signals in headlamps. Really, I like it all, but you asked.

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Great car but I have to agree with wheels, side pipes air cleaner nuts and to me those plastic door panels:( Tuck and roll on interior panels , seat and roof insert and wow. The fuse panel sticks out as well.

24. upspirate

upspirate

I'd change the wheels to either chrome reverse with what you have for tires....radials were just coming in in the late '60's with the disc brakes (68-69) although probably not used to much on hot rods, but they handle so much better in my opinion that I'd bite the bullet and run them. Or black steel wheels with narrow w/w tires and baby moons.
    I have been gathering parts to build a late '60's A coupe and this is where I'm leaning also. I decided on the late '60's early '70's as mine will have ant alt, already have disc brakes on my chrome drilled I-beam and drilled split wishbone front end as well as a Vega cross-steer....all stuff from late '60 early'70.
    I agree on R&P for the interior/door panels.Just plain vinyl on the panels would be better also. Have fun with this!!!!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  25. upspirate

upspirate

I don't like the side pipes either, but we were running them ugly Thrush ones and better, in my opinion, Casler(sp) ones in that period. I had the Casler on a '70 Duster 340 then, but wouldn't now!:rolleyes:

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  26. upspirate

upspirate

Where are you located?

27. Great idea!!!

28. I'm in Tontitown Arkansas

29. belair

belair

I'll take those air cleaners/flame arrestors when enough guys tell you how wrong they are. Wheels and exhaust need to be changed. Nice car, regardless.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  30. pitman

pitman

Had wing-nuts on my solid lifter 327, till somebody wanted the valve covers, and borrowed them! Allen bolts kept the replacements on. She looks good!

Nicholas Coe likes this.