Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How low can I go??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod fozzie, Aug 26, 2018.

1. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

Ok finally getting ready to start my T bucket chassis. How low can I go on suspension ( how low can I get the car without channeling the body or z ing the frame)? I am building it into a roadster pickup with a 40” bed . I am using a standard frame only modification is little longer rear frame rails for the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How tall are your tire sidewalls?

Hnstray likes this.
  3. You can get it as low as you set up your suspension, you will need to take in consideration how close your frame is to the front and rear axle.

Use a raised front cross member and a reversed mono spring on the front, on the rear use the same type of spring or short coil springs. HRP

hotrod fozzie likes this.
  4. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

Haven’t even got to tire size yet justabeater37, trying to figure out suspension set upfirst

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I think what justabeater37 was referring to was that anything lower than the wheel rim will fall below the 'scrub line', which means that if you have a flat tire you will be dragging something. Early on, the HAMB would hoot you out if you placed anything below the scrub line.
    Theoretically, you can make the bottom of the frame 1/32" above the ground but that doesn't work well in real life. Tire size is a good place to start your construction drawings.

justabeater37 and Hnstray like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My experience with my T bucket back in the 70's says you want the oil pan up high enough that it doesn't make contact with stuff. That means for sure you don't want it hanging below the bottom of the front axle. The problem with mine was after going over a speed bump with the front tires the pan was just in the right spot to make contact with the speed bump. We welded the pan up once and had to replace it the second time I banged it up.
    I very honestly could not get that T in or out of my driveway I have now without getting hung up.
    That said if you set the engine and trans up high enough in the chassis you can set the frame lower to the ground That screws with available space for your feet though.

7. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

A friend of mine was trying to tell me build chassis sitting on 4x4 blocks of wood and place a 2x4 on top of the 4x4 until I get the motor and transmission in once I drop those in pull 2x4 out and I should have about 4” of ride height? Would that be enough or should I go little higher???

8. Do you want to drive it and enjoy it?

I use a 5" minimum standard on the oil pan, you still have to be careful but it's not stupid.

The rear tire sets on the ground,
    the rear axle bolts to the tire about 1-1/2" taller than axle center.
    the frame rides 3" above the top of the rear axle,
    The frame is 3" thick.
    Add all that stuff up, but starts with 1/2 the tire height. Use 28" for something
    14" + 1.5 + 3" + 3" so 21-1/2" from top of frame to ground. That is lifted 4x4 height.