Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Makes me think about a back seat cover for the 46. Maybe a fancy steering wheel cover for full show mode lol.

Cool stuff man can’t wait to see it! The hamb drags are going to be full of neat stuff this year

Sancho, 31chevymike, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. Thanks guys!

31chevymike, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. That would be cool!

31chevymike, loudbang and Tim like this.
  4. brad2v

brad2v

Wow man, looks killer. You get it, that makes you among a chosen few sir.

5. Thanks @brad2v ! Very nice of you to say!

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Swing that bad mutha over by Lanyard’s place and let him have a go. All though he might break part of the driveline

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  7. The engine in the B.B. is mounted via the stock center Olds mount at the front and the ‘34 Ford trans mount at the back. Lanny added some “torque arms” at some point to keep the engine from rolling. He said he replaced them a lot as they would bend. He’d just unscrew them and screw some new ones in. I love that!

Well, they still tend to bend but rather than change anything to say a Hurst type mount I decided to make a couple of little bracket to help keep it screwed down. That way the original design doesn’t change an I only had to drill and tap one little hole per side on the frame. We’ll see how it does. 08DEAF0E-8B8E-460C-8B0A-0D65AC145FD2.jpeg 676D59ED-8EB5-46B2-91E1-117D4707AE4A.jpeg

With the Drags coming up next weekend I needed to figure out some sort of catch can for the coolant in order to pass tech. I took a cue from the lakes plugs that are on the car and used a piece of 2” exhaust tubing that I had and a pipe plug and a coupling.

4CA1BBEB-8F6B-41FA-B741-5FF51A5984A5.jpeg A3CCCD80-1491-46D6-90DC-9387B960AF98.jpeg

I tried to hide it the only place I could. I need to leak test it and maybe paint it black. For now it is wire tied on to test fit. I also need to get a black piece of tubing.

78D2CB09-8025-4E94-9657-864F889C1DCC.jpeg

Here’s a glamour shot. I had the cover made to zip in half and had them make a couple straps so I can roll it up behind me when I’m running solo.
    9595BD3B-7CB7-45D2-9AB7-D519A6AAC25B.jpeg

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

How’s it going down the road with the half cover?

Was going to stop by this afternoon but it was time to go home for a nap

loudbang, Stogy and 31chevymike like this.
  9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Outstanding little improvements Mike! The BB will get all the attention she deserves - have a BLAST at the DRAGS!!!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  10. A little floppy but seems to stay put. When I towed it home from KC yesterday I left the whole thing on to see what would happen. It was a little spooky at 70 mph. There's enough air coming through the firewall that it balloons pretty good. Don't think I'll be doing that again unless I figure out some way to batten it down that won't hurt the cover or the paint.

Yes I wondered how much hot rodding the kiddo could take in one day, ha!

Thanks Mike! Should be a great time!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could seal up the firewall?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Well I'm afraid it's firewall, floors, doors, etc. A loosing battle. I really just wanted the cover for outdoor overnight protection and because it used to have something similar and just looks so damn cool if I do say so myself.

brad2v, brEad, Woogeroo and 5 others like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fair enough

loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you at all suggesting that these ole Hotrods wouldn't make good boats...:D...mines quite the whistler...as in the swiss cheese brick...coupe of course but yeah lots of ventilation Flinstone would be at home. I get home and I have some interesting bugs sitting beside me on many occasions. All those details add oodles of character...good stuff.

15. Last weekend we loaded up and headed for the HAMB drags and had a ball as usual! image.jpeg
    My pal Brad @Blakmerk gave me this Rocket keychain pencil for the BB. Thanks again Brad!

image.jpeg

Lanny and Sally came out too! I took Lanny for a ride! The first time since 1964! image.jpeg

Had fun running down the track with my pal @Kevin Lee! Lanny told me that back in the day some guy in Salina got a new Harley so they decided of course to race and see what would happen. Well, let's just say this was not the first time the BB got beat by a motorcycle, ha! All in good fun!

image.jpeg
    I'm not sure who took this pic?
    image.jpeg

Our own @J.Ukrop was in attendance and snapped these killer shots as well!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

And to ice the cake the BB was presented with the Kontinental Cup! How cool is that???
    image.png

Hank37, Jet96, 31chevymike and 19 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Liven the Dream Buddy...good on ya...;)...Rip snorting Hotrod...:D

31chevymike, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  17. brad2v

brad2v

I REALLY dig these shots, now that is a hot rod[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

How did Lanny like his cruise in his old ride?

-W

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

What state is are the HAMB Drags held? Been wanting to attend for years, just reading about it here. Wanting to move out of Florida and move out west, thinking Arizona might be a fresh start with my brother.

A weekend to remember for sure Mike! Next is the Hill Climb?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  20. The Drags are outside Joplin, Missouri.

21. If his grin was any indication I think he liked it! He said he'd never sat on that (the passenger) side before, ha!

As @brEad said the drags are literally in the middle of a corn field in Asbury, Missouri outside of Joplin.

I've been to Arizona a couple of times. It's nice!

Yes the Hillclimb is the next big event! Actually, we have a local show called the Greaserama that is held every Labor Day weekend. It is up north of KC about 40-50 miles from the farmette. I think @2muchstuff and I are going to cruise up to that.

31chevymike, Woogeroo, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Any chance you are hitting Ottawa the following weekend? If so, we will look for you and the BB!

23. So cool to hear you are going to make it to the Greaserama show...See ya there!

31chevymike likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah @Austin kays and I will be at greaserama and Ottawa. For greaserama I think I may only do a bit on Saturday early in the day. Save me a spot in the shade ;)

31chevymike, loudbang and Austin kays like this.
  25. Austin kays

Austin kays

31chevymike likes this.
  26. I think Ottawa is the same weekend as the Hill Climb isn't it???

Cool! Please say hello!

Yes we will be there Saturday as well and probably early. I don't think I've found a spot in the shade ever!

Cool. Did I miss the A at the drags???

27. Austin kays

Austin kays

No the starter gave up the ghost on me it's still not running but we're going to flat tow it behind my uncle's 48 Ford pick up. Just to get her to the show

Sent from my LGMP260 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup it’s the same weekend as the hill climb. Next year we will head west in the weekend!

There’s shade if you park up at the top overlooking everything but there’s less foot traffic if your wanting to see people and it’s way far away from the bathrooms

29. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

I so glad Lanny got to see, hear, and smell his old ride. That was a long 54 year wait. See ya next weekend.

30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Well, turns out yes. Don't come see me! The hill climb is much more bucket-listy:D