Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fire at Advanced Plating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phantompjcoupe, Aug 25, 2018.

1. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

I did a quick search and found nothing, but I hope this hasn’t been posted already.

I just saw a post on Facebook that made my skin turn pale-
    There was a big fire at Advanced Plating today. Half of their shop burned down.
    Firstly... it sounds like everyone there is okay. And that’s the most important thing. The cause of the fire is not known yet.

But now here’s the selfish part that I need to vent about because I’m almost speechless here.
    In May, I took a drive down there with the grille and headlight trim rings for my car to have them plated.
    They are one off pieces and I have this bad bad feeling about them, especially after seeing the picture of the building.
    I don’t have words here for what I feel. It sucks. All around. And I’m sure I’m not the only one on the H.A.M.B. that has one off, or rare parts there for work.
    So has anyone heard anything else about what’s going on down there? I figure word of mouth is getting around by now.

Things like this are the reason I like to do things myself. I can’t control what goes on at someone else’s place. But in my hands... at my garage... I know exactly what’s going on, or why.
    I’m just in the dark here, and the delivery date for my parts was only a couple weeks away.
    I just needed to vent a bit.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

[​IMG]
    Here’s the photo Advanced posted to their page. Looks pretty bad
    ☹️

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

4. When I drop off work at another's shop I get a detailed descriptive receipt of all the parts. I also take pics of everything. I hope you did the same. I hope you get your parts back.

CudaChick1968 and phantompjcoupe like this.

5. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Yeah. The sheet i was given before I left gave a really good description. And I have tons of pics of the parts as I made them, cuz I was so proud of the work I was doing.
    I really wasn’t thinking I’d need the pics to identify their remains or whatnot
    (I crack a joke, cuz at this point... it’s all I can do...)

CudaChick1968, Hnstray and racer-x like this.
  6. I know the feeling. I dropped off the seat to my 32 Ford at an upholstery shop years ago and before I got it back, the place burned down. I was lucky though, my seat was finished and moved to another building. I hope you are that lucky.

7. williebill

williebill

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear this, and hope you get your parts back.
    I made custom quad headlights for my car years ago. Each one started as a 92 lb. piece of steel, and after they were done, they're less than 8 lbs. now. As my friends made fun of me while I was working on them ( months and months worth of ridiculous time), they would ask me if it was worth it. My answer was always no.
    They haven't been to the chrome shop yet, and I jokingly say that if I can't go in the tank with them, I'll get a job there until they're done.
    I feel your pain and concern. Good luck.

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Oh man... This sucks. Does anyone know the cause?

9. Jeeezus, that looks catastrophic. Hope your parts are saved.

phantompjcoupe likes this.
  10. Looking out for yourself isn't being selfish. So fortunate the people are ok. I really hope your parts are in there someplace safe. Also, I hope the company can rebuild. That's peoples' livelihood in smoldering ruins there.

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I purchased my very first set of wheels from them many years ago.
    Great company with real nice products.

I hope then can recover from this fire.
    Jimbo

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry to hear about this. I've used Advanced before and have been very satified with their work. Feel bad for those whose parts were there.

Gary

13. You know, with the EPA government rules and regulations, its probably going to be hard for a plating company to rebuild in today's business environment. This might the end of one more quality plating company.

CudaChick1968 and 49ratfink like this.
  14. This is sad, I know Steve and I have some parts there also, my loss is minor to what the entire Advanced staff is facing.

It's just a inconvenience to us but knowing Steve he will make it right with his customers but it won't come overnight. HRP

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  15. I understand your concern but in reality you can't control accidents like a fire, your garage could burn to the ground and loose everything, it's happened to others, at this point there is not much we can do except wait to hear from the company. HRP

K13 likes this.
  16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Oh brother.That sucks.Fire is an unforgiving bitch.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That was my first thought too when I heard about this

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As 56don states, now the EPA is going to get involved. Just the clean up can be a nightmare. Can you imagine vats of heavy metal plating solution overflowing from a sprinkler system or from the firefighters hoses. I'm sure their insurance company is going to have it's say also. Hopefully you can get all your parts back in good shape.

19. They got up and going again after the flood in 2010 and the EPA gave Steve a clean bill of health, hopefully Steve will rebuild and continue to do the type of quality work Advanced has always been known for. HRP

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

This is horrible news, we ship a lot of parts to them for plating.

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm optimistic and am STILL looking forward to having Advanced Plating when i move down there next year.

God bless them and sure hope they get back on their feet real soon.

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I too hope they can recover. I had been thinking of sending some items to them. Glad I didn't and have them to still send in the future.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You could do something crazy and call them and ask.

Max Gearhead and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Their post on Facebook said their “communications will be down for a while”
    They also asked for patience while they get to access the building.
    I mean realistically... it’ll be a while before they are going to know anything. I’m sure the fire department needs to get in there and figure out the cause of the fire first, and then assess whether it’s even safe for anyone to actually enter the building, on top of all the chemicals that may be spilled or leaking.

25. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

They survived the great flood a few years back. I figure they will be back better than ever. M.O.

phantompjcoupe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

And i might add, These seem like some really good folks. Always have the open house the night before Good-guys Nashville. put on a really nice party.Go out of their way it seems to treat folks nice. I wish them the best.

27. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We feel so bad for all the people at Advanced Plating but at least no one was hurt. I had just sent back a very rare Whippit radiator cap that had not even been quoted yet by them. Does anyone know if the shipping/receiving area burned as well? We have done lots of work with them, respect them and their high level of work, hope all goes well for them as they rebuild.

28. Their post on Instagram over the weekend was the following:

"As you may have seen today, Advanced Plating has fallen victim to a fire. At this time the cause of the fire is not known, but we do know that half of our facility is a total loss. However, if you follow Advanced Plating, you know that we are no strangers to disasters. We have survived a fire before, as well as the horrific flood of 2010. While it will be a difficult and long road to come back from this, rest assured that we will bounce back, we will rebuild, and we will be back stronger than ever. If disaster has taught us anything over the years, it is that we are resilient and have an amazing support group. Now, communication will be down for awhile as you might have guessed, but please be patient as we access the contents of the building and work to collect and assemble all of the customers parts and pieces. At this point, it will be tough to say that we can account for everything, as this happened with zero warning, but we will do everything we can to take care of our customer base. We greatly appreciate everyone's support and prayers as we sort everything out. As soon as contact is restored, we will let everyone know how we can be reached."

29. ^What more could anyone ask for under the circumstances? I wish them the best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app