Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Mild Custom Transformation, mama's 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup. people these days call lowered stock bodied cars customs, that bugs me .... a real custom needs BODY modifications

brad2v, Outback, Peanut 1959 and 8 others like this.
  2. Do something cool on the roof..if it’s the wife’s car how pink metal flake...maybe some pink/magenta fades...ya got a blank slate..me...I like the plain white

2bubbas likes this.
  3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll add suggestions or thoughts later when I have more time. But my initial thought is that it's not a custom unless it's nosed and decked. That's where you start.

Outback and Roothawg like this.
  4. Excellent place to start. I like your plans including the updates. You mention Granada Spindles. I know you like things right and you know a good bit about steering and geometry. I know the Granada units will physically go in place of the Stock Ford units. You may want to double check the Ackerman and new Tie Rod angle to lower A Frame angle and there effects on how things correlate to cornering and tire scrub before you put your Wife behind the wheel. If you want her to love driving the car you may need to go a few steps further than just bolting them in place and saying Good Enough. I wouldn't expect you to just do that having followed many of your other posts. I have not done the Granada spindles on a 55 Ford but know first hand that on my 57's they were not going to do the job for me. The 55-56 Fords are very close Cousins to the 57-58 format.
    The Wizzard

Outback and Roothawg like this.
  5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

No no no.
    Lowered stocker w/ caps = mild custom
    Lowered w/ caps and body mods = full custom

;)

6. I sure hope the winky face means you're joking.:cool:

lurker mick, Moriarity and Roothawg like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, you are kidding right?

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

how about 55 pontiac side trim, then you only have to paint half a car
    55ford.JPG

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nah, that makes it look like a Plymouth to me...

I think you need straight lines on this car.

Just Gary, Spoggie and lurker mick like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I wish my victims were that nice:D

LBCD, oliver westlund and Roothawg like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I will be following. Cannot wait to watch and learn:)

Roothawg likes this.
  12. Had it on my 54...those Fords are made for that trim

oliver westlund and Moriarity like this.
  13. Yes, a white tuck & roll package tray would be just right.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

It looks better on the earlier Fords, but one color only.

lurker mick likes this.
  15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Less is more in my opinion on that car, lose the continental ....I actually liked the one they built on Gas Monkey
    Also the paint looks to good on that car to primer spot up, if you are gonna do the mods, wait til you can if you need to and go ahead and finish them while you are at it:cool:
    Im sure some candy red metalic scallops would look good too:cool:
    Would have to look a ton better than the stripes they wound up putting on this one:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. That paint may not be too hard to match. Lose the Whitney continental kit, Nose and deck it, custom grille of some kind, at least a tube grille. Mercury station wagon tail lights. I like the straight chrome trim on the Customlines. Add nice pinstripes. Spinner hub caps and its period perfect.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Continental kits look good on Continentals, not many other cars., they usually end up looking like the ad ons they are.
    Lose that, lower like you want, maybe add some Von Dutch style pinstripes to break up the white. You can always get more radical later on.

Roothawg likes this.
  18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You have the benefit here of having one of the blankest canvases you could possibly start with. Great Kustom material.

Before I say anything, I will say this. This car should basically be built on paper or in your head before you ever pick up a tool. Picking a theme and sticking to a cohesive styling scheme throughout the entirety of the project is paramount to achieving a stellar result. The paint scheme matches the body mods, matches the engine, matches the stance, matches the wheels and tires.... it's like having a fine tailored suit, belt and shoes match, socks, tie and pocket square are on point, and you're killing it. But when you start making a mod here, French that there, spot prime this here, engine mod here.... next thing you know you're wearing stripes and plaid, your belt is brown and your shoes are black, and you look a mess. Make sense?

Also, when it comes to styling, take the hot rod guys opinion with a grain of salt. I don't go to a dermatologist for dentistry. Everyone will have an opinion. Some are worth more than others. I don't exclude myself from that. There is a common misconception that everything has to be functional, and "non functional" stuff is "fake". e.g. lake pipes that aren't hooked up, dummy spot lights, etc. That's bullshit. They're traditional. And they can add a lot of style. That's the point of a custom, it's not all function like a hot rod.

With that being said, the continental kit isn't overtly wrong, but the rest of the car has to be styled to match it. The Kit is waaaaaay east coast sleaze. Continental kit, dummy spots, lake pipes, cruiser skirts, dual frenched antennas, busy caps... straight out of north NJ 1958. If you're not going that style, take the kit off.

I'll second the 55 Pontiac trim, I think it looks great. But you've got lots of options. 56 ford trim is sharp too. You could leave the stock spear. You could go totally off the board and use something wild like Desoto, etc. Be creative!

French those headlights, smooth it out. Seams = bad.

The stock grill and bumper are fine, but you can do better. 54 Chevy, 55 Desoto, 55 Plymouth, tube grill, all look great. Don't go with anything too heavy. The Fords have trimmer features than GM products. Adding too much bulk weighs the styling down.

Beautiful car man, enjoy the project

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

What happened there? That’s awful!

1Shot-Scot and lurker mick like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

F39D3E6A-91B0-46BE-9BA3-30726C3EE3E2.jpeg 121FF0CD-E51F-47AD-9E4A-6B8A31210C30.jpeg Here are a few of the interior.

Tman, LBCD, quick85 and 7 others like this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

I like it as is, Kool car IMO. All you need are Fuzzy Dice and your set. Change as you see fit, Your Car, Your Vision.

Latigo likes this.
  22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Following. Great start, I have a feeling that I will like what you end up with.

Roothawg likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I know these are pic`s of 52-54`s but it will give you and idea of some different build styles. If I was closer, I`d buy you continental kit. I have never seen one for sale at a swapmeet. Or I`d own one. The first one(taken in 84) is owned by Gary Howard. He builds cars for Jimmy Vaughn, among others. Scan0623.jpg Scan0622.jpg Scan0530.jpg

droppedstepside likes this.
  24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

For me, I'd keep the continental kit, nose and deck it, Dusty rose on the upper half and slightly lowered. That'd look awesome!

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nose and deck. Red scallops to pick up the interior. Lower it.
    If you put skirts on it (and it's low enough) you'll only need to find a pair of wheel covers for the front...

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Makes perfect sense.

Outback likes this.
  27. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

I would start off lowering it and skirts. Stand back and look at it. when lowering it try to make it ride stock. then maybe lake pipes. Just keep it simple and classy. some caps and maybe some grille modes. teeth, bars what ever your vision is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

But those are 54 and 55 Olds caps

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have o agree with the man. I see way too many factory stock cars with spinner wheel covers on the front that the owners call "customs" Nosed and decked and skirts will get you on the right track:cool:

Peanut 1959 and Moriarity like this.
  30. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Nice car. Doesn't need much just lowered and cool hubcaps. Loose the continental kit. And WHATEVER you do dont swapout the cool old good running y-block for a crappie 302. A lot of effort for very little gain if any at all. If your wife cant manage a manual you can fit a late model 4 speed auto. Nice car.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spoggie likes this.