Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trade 37 Ford truck for 63 Impala?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Low-N-Loud, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Low-N-Loud

Low-N-Loud

I have a 1937 Ford truck that rides the line between rat rod and hot rod. It's not a rusted out piece of crap. Has nice custom built frame, and a lot of nice parts. I've rebuilt most aspects of the truck over the last couple of years. The body has a couple small bubbles and a couple of dings. What you'd expect to find on a car like that. The bed I recently built myself so I know it's all solid.

I haven't seen the car yet, but I'm looking at a 1963 Impala. Has SS badges but I don't think it's a real one. Which doesn't really matter to me. It's supposed to be very reliable, has a 350/700r4, power disc brakes, nice looking wheels, lowered a bit in the front. From the pics the interior looks a little worn, but nice overall. Guy says the floor pans and trunk are in great shape. Has a little bubbling on the hood / fender. He showed me pics, doesn't look terrible... but it's just a pic so who knows.

IF that all checks out and those bubbles are the worst part do you guys think that's a good trade on my part?

More importantly, are there any specifics I should be looking out for on those generation Impalas? I've been looking up a lot of stuff, but not finding much more than the typical things to look out for when buying a classic. Was hoping for some tips more specific to the platform.

Thanks guys!

2. Squablow

Squablow

It might be a fair trade, but really, some pictures and a lot more details on both vehicles are needed before any good advice can be given.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. Well good trade depends on if you like '63 Impalas or not. The SS came in either a glide or 4 speed and should have a console. Some had a tach and some did not but all had gauges in place of idiot lights, they would be In the original gauge cluster. All had a speaker grill in the middle of the back seat.

The '62-64 full size cars had a tendency to rust out over the rear end. Most of them that I have come across were still drivable but the bumper was not held on solid. I have seen a couple that the rust extended in front of the spring those needed frame repair. At this stage of the game most of them need control arm bushings both in the front suspension and the rear.

Of the 3 years the '63 is my favorite year for Impalas.

Stogy and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Look at the horizontal part of the body at the very aft end of the quarter windows for body cracks. Very common problem on 62-64 Impala 2 door hardtops which is a very difficult repair to accomplish and to keep from returning. Rust bubbles are never a good thing. Look for rust in the trunk pans, floor pans, rear lower quarters and the lower aft portion of the front fenders.. I've had a bunch of X frames and never saw the loose bumper problem. Theres lots of 62-63 Impalas out there for sale without all the rust issues. I just sold one. Becareful of what you buy or trade for.

Lets see the pictures of both cars.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    jnaki likes this.

5. Look at the back window for rust-through. Which gets into the trunk and under the back seat. Most of the '58-'64 cars in the northeast by me were notorious rust buckets. Rear lower quarters and the lower front fenders previously mentioned are key areas for rot.

6. If your truck is the one in your avatar, I would say yes. But I am biased in that I love 63-64 Impalas and don't like RR trucks.

Gman0046 and upspirate like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

8. Low-N-Loud

Low-N-Loud

Thanks for the info everyone. Thats what I was hoping to find out, certain problem areas to look at. I was also thinking of taking a magnet and soft towel to check for bondo. I know every body part is available in new steel, but I'm not trying to get into all of that.

For reference here is my truck. Two different worlds I know, but I love them all the same.
    IMG_8072.JPG

9. Low-N-Loud

Low-N-Loud

Forgot I had all of these shots on my phone as well.
    image1.JPEG IMG_0261.JPG image1.JPEG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0678.JPG IMG_2469.JPG IMG_8310.JPG IMG_8311.JPG IMG_8312.JPG

Stogy and rjones35 like this.
  10. Low-N-Loud

Low-N-Loud

That was probably the worst way to add those photos, sorry.

11. upspirate

upspirate

I'd trade....no hesitation

jnaki and Gman0046 like this.
  12. Low-N-Loud

Low-N-Loud

I'm leaning towards it, as long as everything is on the up and up.

upspirate likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Non SS 283 engine by badging. Interior cost a few buck a while back. I'd trade if it's honest on the rust.. Look under if you can....good luck

14. [​IMG]
    Hope you don't mind, I blowed up the pic because I liked it so much. The exterior is pretty nice, chrome & trim all there and Supremes sure help the cause. Solid underneath and it's a winner. White interiors are classy.
    The door doesn't fit right. Look close!

Stogy, chev34ute and upspirate like this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Looks to me like Impala needs lots of "hidden" body work.
    Bubble bondo paint you see now is just a hint of
    what you can't see. More to come, for sure.

lurker mick likes this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Both cool.. I'd trade...

upspirate likes this.
  17. Nice Impala from the pics. But I love yellow cars. I'd trade if it isn't hiding a lot of rust.

18. Ummmmm you still have the truck...are you crazy...do it before he changes his mind!
    I’ve seen that car in person..you better hope he doesn’t get on the HAMB...delete this post!

Edit...Ok....I never saw the Bubbles...it does have a nice interior and can fit a few more people..and your trucks pretty cool...didn’t look at the pics

scrap metal 48 and upspirate like this.
  19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good...run a magnet on lower body...check rockers and body mounts...

20. oldsman41

oldsman41

Had a 63 impala back in 68 loved the car so yeah i would do it for sure but only you can decide weather its a go or not.

21. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

I think its a good trade, I would jump on it

22. WC Durant

WC Durant

The Impala is an ugly yellow and it has got a lot of hidden rust. Your pickup is way cooler.

kingrollo likes this.
  23. Squablow

Squablow

I would personally make the trade, so long as the '63 checks out. Bubbles in the paint are not a great thing, but it's fixable, and I'd run it like that for a while, or maybe do some spot bodywork as needed if you're able to match the paint. If the car comes with extra paint, or at least a proper paint code to match it, that'd be a huge bonus. Then again I've never felt they need to be totally flawless to be fun.

Check the frame between the trans crossmember and the center of the X, it seems like an unlikely area for a frame to rot but they do have a tendancy to go bad there, my '64 SS needed work in that area.

Stogy and rboutlaw kustom like this.
  24. belair

belair

In a heartbeat

25. upspirate

upspirate

One other thing, if you decide to unload the 63 later(or sooner) it will probably be easier to sell or trade....

No matter how much you like the truck, it has a smaller target market .

Just my opinion from someone that has had vehicles that I liked that were hard to sell

Gman0046, 40FORDPU and scrap metal 48 like this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Take a good, hard look at it underneath. I like big 60s cars, so I am pretty biased. Acres of room inside, but also acres of body to repair if needed. Do you know a bodyman or body shop? If so, let them look at it too.

27. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

I like your truck much better . Just my opinion. Everybody has there own taste. And you know what your truck is. Bob.........

rboutlaw kustom likes this.
  28. rboutlaw kustom

rboutlaw kustom

I agree the truck is much nicer in my books . I dig 63 impala's my 1st car was 63 ss 409 4 speed . I know it had a cool ss console. I dont care for the yellow myself . The color would be the 1st thing to go . Good luck with your trade . Like alot was talked about the frame is where the most rust problem and hard fined needs art morrison chassis

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

• I'd trade in a heart beat.
    • Fix the body bubbles showing/spot in the paint.
    • Sell the Impala.
    • Go shopping.
    • This is how you move up in the hobby.
    Does the Impala owner have pics prior to the car being painted?

30. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

The bubbles are a reason for concern, the way the rust is showing up in my opinion indicates a poor repair before the last repaint, and if you are thinking of repairing and repainting I believe you will run into more rust than is evident. What about putting it on a hoist for a inspection.

Max Gearhead and lurker mick like this.