Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration YOM license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Prior to my ownership and rebuilding it to its current, early '50s period correct(?) configuration, my Roadster was "hot rodded" and last time registered for road use in 1952 in New York (I still have those plates and registration slip, which also doubled as "the title").
    My initial idea almost 30 years ago was to register her with something similar, i.e. "period correct" '52-'53(?) CA plates, but since that option wasn't easily available and the somewhat unusual '32/YOM plate(s) I've been running for long time were gifted by a good friend soon after acquiring her, I managed to convince myself of their appearance and use being more "period correct" than any modern ones.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    3W JOHN likes this.
  2. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

1OldTimer - Maybe you know the answer to a question I have:

I have a 1955 Chevy truck (avatar) that I bought with yellow-on-black plates from the 60’s. They’re commercial plates and they’re in fine, usable condition, BUT I would like to put true original-for-1955 black-on-yellow-plates on it. I’m sure I can find them if I’m willing to pay the money but would they have to be commercial plates? I don’t intend to carry anything in the bed except maybe 2 folding chairs & EZ-Up. I also have heard; but don’t know, that 1955 was the last year for the longer, rounded corner black-on-yellow plates California used to have. PS: I’ve never seen the original year sticker you show below. Any help appreciated.

3W JOHN likes this.
  3. Danny : I have this for my '30 "A" coupe project.
    NC law is that you can display YOM plate , but a current NC plate & matching registration .." must be in the vehicle and available to anyone that requests to see it "
    IMG_0261.JPG

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Stan, here in S.C. we register the YOM license plate and when it is time for renewal we receive a proof of registration card and a sticker which we keep in the car along our insurance information.

Both ways work and that's all that matters. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  5. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

AZ allows YOM plates with no restrictions (of which I'm aware) on driving. You have to pay the personal plate premium. A great thing is that you can register the plates in minutes at third party motor vehicle operations instead of hanging out most of the day at an official DMV facility. Here's my waffled aluminum plate on my '49 and the 64 plate on my Chevy2 wagon. IMG_0322.JPG fullsizeoutput_2b2.jpeg

kbgreen, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  6. I couldn't believe how simple NC laws were about YOM plates...No paperwork ,registration ,etc ...still have to get new regular tags every year ,though....just throw em in the hotrod and keep on a-gettin it..

Evil Emery, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. I would add one caution for those of you who cross state lines with YOM plates; make sure you have a copy of the applicable laws/regs with you in case you have to explain to some dim-bulb about your vintage plate. Rob Bruins (former NW T/F champ) got arrested a few years ago in either Nevada or Arizona over a YOM plate 'misunderstanding' (guns drawn and cops screaming at his wife to get out of the car... with a broken leg; I believe he sued and got a settlement) when the fuzz ran the plate and got back a 'not valid' ID. For some obtuse reason Washington doesn't list the actual plate in the 'license' box on the registration but instead uses some random number. The actual plate number is listed below as an 'equipment number', leading to confusion. Between that and the LEO entering the VIN number wrong (by chance for a stolen car) is what got him busted.

8. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

Good to see that. We're considering moving to NC and I guess I'd have to figure registering the ride. That or keep the Ca plates and have my brother handle my reg.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Arizona 1923 on my C cab. Resized_20170129_171207.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

I got lucky in that I had a paper trail that allowed me to just keep the plates that were on the car when I found it. They are stamped 1963 (in Ca. it came with yellow plates and the state issued a year sticker) as I guess the state issued everybody a black plate that year. I am not paying the fee for YOM as it's just registered like any other car. I've also considered how cool it'd be if I could find the original yellow plates.
    38975610_2276144225733508_480810898613600256_n.jpg

BigDogSS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Sir, you seem quite familiar with these YOM details and your comments brought up a question in my mind.
    Do you have experience with following:

The OT "Foreign" car in background of my earlier post #61 photo was manufactured in 1972 and features variety of manufacturing data plates attesting compliance with 1972 DOT regulations, but it wasn't imported to U.S. (as a new car) until 1973 and remained unsold (still new) until 1974, after which it was registered as 1973 year model.
    Which year YOM plates do you think California DMV would most likely agree to issue for it ?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. 36.jpg
    YOM in Washington for awhile now...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. XXL__

XXL__

Whichever of those years is on the title. Also, they don't issue YOM plates. You have to find them on the collector market, then have the DMV confirm they are "clear" for registration and that they are in "proper" condition.

TTR and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Yes, ANY pickup has to have commercial plates (unless you have a shell on it and fight with the dmv). If you want the yom plates you'll need 1951 Commercial plates (2 of them) and a '55 metal tab. BTW last time I check into it a few years ago 1947 and 1951 plates are getting real hard to find a clear set (CA re uses the numbers for new plates making the old plates useless) and the plates command top dollar. Just keep looking for a clear set, take your time and you'll find them fairly priced. Look for ones that have a COM, BE, PC on the side as those are commercial, the fee is an extra $10-$15 a year to have them plus you'll need to take them in and show the dmv.

1955 was the last usage of the 1951 plate:
    [​IMG]

Don't sell your black plates, keep them with an expired registration card. If anyone in the future (either you or the next owner) wants to put the '63 plates back on they can with the proof of registration. I have a set of '51 plates BUT they were from my '54 panel truck, so according to CA they can ONLY be used for a 1954 commercial vehicle from now on (not sure about if they fall off of the system in 5 or so years).

Another fun factoid, Panel trucks have to be commercial but Suburbans don't.....they told me it has to have a second row of seats.

Special Ed and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Knowing CA I would say they would go with the year of registration. Either way for you it would be a simple sticker choice as the plates from '70-'80 were all blue/yellow. Number config change over the years, but only the hard core plate guys would know......defiantly not the dmv.

16. A question for all you Arizona guys, I see that some of the older plates have counties on them. Does it matter if the plate county matches where you live or is it just the year of the plate/vehicle that matters now.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Thank you both for clarifying.

Yes, I am aware that one has to find the plates on their own and present them to an official at California DMV for approval and verification of the availability of their "number" before they can be accepted/entered to registration records.

As for the "proper" condition, there seem to be variations in opinions and practice.
    For example, the plates on my Roadster are in quite faded & weathered (rustic?), unrestored condition, with no apparent signs of ever having had any contrasting (black ?) paint over the large digits, which apparently makes them very unusual and rare specimens.
    All or most vintage car or license plate enthusiasts who have seen them in person can't believe I was able to get them accepted "as is" at the DMV, but when I presented them years ago to the lady behind the counter, other than her slightly extended double checking of plate-to-plate digits being matching, she didn't seem to bat an eye.
    Over the years and traveled miles, I've had numerous LEOs, including Highway Patrolmen/-women (in various States), etc checking out (admiring?) & commenting how "cool" they think my ride is, while none have raised any concerns over the appearance or condition of the plates, which are pretty much illegible from distances beyond 20 ft. or so.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

I run Y.O.M. plates on all of my 30+ year old cars here in Washington State. On the Camaro I even have the first set of plates ever issued to the car back on it. I pay enough gas and vehicle licenses on my two "Daily Drivers" and Motorcycle to mare than make up for not having to buy tabs every year for the Hot Rods and Camaro. Find a good set of plates. Restore them, and save yourself alot of money each year on taxes.........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. XXL__

XXL__

And therein lies the challenge. :eek:

I lucked out on one of mine after moving back to TX. I found a pair of brand new, never issued, still in their original mailer with tissue paper separator at a local car show. Guy was silent auctioning them for charity but had zero bids when I got there as they were winding down the show. I offered him $20 bill in my otherwise empty wallet, and voila.

20. Yes, you found one of the many differences in the dmv system. Condition comes down to the individual dmv employee, I've had some deny me because of condition.....only to go to another dmv branch 20 mins away and have it go through fine (I've had the reverse happen also with a restored set AND dmvs). It's the luck of the draw, just be prepared to pack it up and go to another dmv office if something isn't right......you can argue, but only to a certain point. Also never let them take both plates at the same time.....just to be on the safe side.

TTR, HOTRODPRIMER and XXL__ like this.
  21. Thanks.

P.S. Just wanted to clarify my earlier comments on the OT "Foreign" vehicle.
    It's not registered as '72 (Year Of Manufacture) or '73 (Year Of Import), but instead as '74 (Year Of First Sold), so technically if following CA DMV guidelines/rules, acceptable YOM plates would be 2 years off. :confused:
    It does have "personalized" Blue w/Yellow plates issued in 1976 when transferred to current ownership.

22. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

There doesn’t seem to be any problem. If you look at the plate on my 49, it haz a “C” prefix, which I believe corresponded to Yapapai county, which is Flagstaff, if I recall correctly. The 49 is now registered in Maricopa county, the Phoenix metro area, which would have warranted an “A” prefix, as the largest county in the state. Pima county (Tucson) got a “B” prefix.

23. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Very true. DMV knowledge (or lack thereof) varies wildly as does their attitude. I have seen very rusty plates get accepted, but it is up to the clerk at the field office to even accept them for the application, then again with the clowns in Sacramento who review the photo and paperwork. Sacramento has a hair trigger for rejecting applications for plates that should pass, and giving poor wording on the reason for rejection. I think if your civil service entrance exam score falls in the bottom 5%, they send you to the DMV.

Special Ed likes this.
  24. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

DMV wording is ambiguous. They state"
    1963 and newer configurations must be assigned to the specific vehicle for which it was intended (for example, auto to auto, commercial to commercial, trailer to trailer, motorcycle to motorcycle). " This implies that 1962 and newer can use car plates on a truck, although it would still be registered as a commercial. Unfortunately they are so inconsistent you can’t count on the same outcome each time. They like to make up the rules as the go along. If a DMV worked had another brain, it would be lonely.

25. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

MN does allow as long as the numbering is not same as numbering format is not same as current license plates being used. I found a beautiful set for my '54 Chevy. Went in to register them and found out I could not use them b/c the state is using same numbering format for their state fleet vehicles...six numbers, no letters.

26. zjerry

zjerry

1497504_392910154177951_1895696838_n.jpg you can do yom in mo.

27. I'm against 'em. The first couple generations of rodders had to have fresh plates every year made behind prison walls. That's the real traditional way.

*Humor intended

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  28. Your answer is correct for the fifties but there is an exemption buried in the fine print for the older trucks. I don't have the exact cut off handy but I know I can legally run passenger car plates on my 1931 RDPU. PM me if you have a pair of California commercial plates (note the letters PC standing for pneumatic commercial) for sale as I only have a single.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_8303.jpg

29. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Thanks SO much for the answer.

I could have sworn that the plate color previous to the California 60’s black/yellow were yellow/black. Pretty sure they were on my Dad’s purchased-new 1955 Chevy Belair. Am I “mis-remembering”? Lol

Sorry to be a dunce but what do the BE and PC initials mean? Why three different abbreviations for commercial plates, if you know?

If California reuses numbers what’s the chance my black/yellow plates will be useable after awhile? I guess I don’t get why I need an expired registrations card for them? I certainly won’t have an expired registration for the ‘51 Commerical plates if I find some

Weren’t there Commercial plates made in ‘52-‘55? Or were those the later style like my 60’s plates with the different number/letter sequence instead of the abbreviations? Maybe you focused on my preference for the bigger, rounded corner plates that ended (presumably) in ‘51?I

30. I can't answer about the BE but in 1931 the PC stood for "Pneumatic Commercial" (air in the tires). They also had "SC" for "Solid Commercial" (solid rubber tires) and a few others.

If you are concerned about your unused YOM plates having the number used get them registered to your vehicle and put your vehicle on nonop status. As usual in California there will be a fee for doing this but it keeps your plates useable.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018