Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

It also has the perfect driver.. promise.

loudbang likes this.
  2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Nice to see the Avatar updated.

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  3. Been doing some small stuff like installing turn signals, a new fuel pressure regulator, cleaning the car but mostly driving the shit outta this thing! My brother and I took the 2.71 gears out after the drive to Joplin and put my 4.30s in...yee-haaaaw! I can hammer through the gears getting a little sideways in 1st and 2nd, scarf about 4 feet in third and squawk 4th gear rubber...what fun!
    I've been taking it to a cruise night almost every night....got the gauges working except for the volt meter and I have a new one ordered, should be here tomorrow. Speedo still hasn't got the cable hooked up. Speedometers are over rated anyway.
    I love this car! Cam goes boogeta, boogeta, boogeta........wappa! The muncie and the quick change have just the right whine. Everybody seems to like it except one guy who said it was a body man's nightmare.....and I agree.
    Tonight I drove it to the local burger joint and met up with my fellow club member, Art and he brought his 35 Buick. He's had it since the late 70s. I think Art's actually gonna lower this car and get all the body work ironed out soon.
    Just a little update...
    34andartsbuick1.jpg IMG34andartsbuick2_6207.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Tim, cactus1, brad2v and 7 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't there a song about rubber in all 4 gears?...;)

Have fun being sixteen again ya hoodlum...:D...and careful with that overrated stuff...

brEad likes this.
  5. Look forward to seeing you with this car and hopefully running against you at the HAMB drags when the Rocket sled gets finished!

6. Thank God for the Jimmy's out there... My Jimmy is named Ryan Hartmann and he's knocking it out of the park with all the fabrication work on my Roadster.

I know it's been a while since I have followed this thread but I'm glad to hear that it's been roadworthy for while now

I look forward to running against you at the HAMB drags next year!

Cheers buddy!

Mark

Stogy likes this.
  7. That's funny shit right there boy....!

Petejoe and Max Gearhead like this.
  8. Drive the wheels off it now Rocky! Enjoy the rewards of your labor.

Stogy likes this.
  9. sololobo

sololobo

Rocky brought this bad boy out to our 5th Annual Jam'n Gears car show Aug. 26th, it created a buzz and tons of compliments. Just an outstanding build with bitchin features all around. Our South Omaha Turds car gang sends a big "Thanks" out to Rocky with bro Scotty ridin shotgun.

Tim, kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  10. Thanks for having us, Larry....tonight was the very first time my wife rode in the car. Drove over to Menards for some bug spray. She actually said she liked it all except for lack of seat belts. Yeah, I need to score some belts for it right away. I think I'll get the kind the early 60s GM cars had with the flip buckle...keep it simple.

Tim, kidcampbell71, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Was cruising Omaha streets when I hit a HUGE hole in the street...heavy traffic and couldn't avoid it. Busted the Speedway left side upper shock mount. Lucky the shock didn't hit my headlight or hood side. I removed {most of} it this evening to re weld it..MAN! The pretty little welds broke clean off and here's why...NO penetration at all! Hell, they didn't even bevel the parts before welding....check the rust that crept in between the welded parts. I'm gonna weld this side up now and this winter when I tear it down to repair/refresh the car, I'll weld the other side.
    Shitty work for sure! 34shockmt.jpg 34shockmt2.jpg

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shakedown continues makes one question what else may be suspect...have a poke around and I'm sure you will...hope it wasn't learning curve frame.

Glad your okay and I hear you about potholes.

13. atch

atch

Rocky,

Are you going to take this over to Speedway and show it to them?

14. They should find out for safety sake!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I agree Rock.....

They need to be notified.
    DANGEROUS !

Stogy likes this.
  16. That weld is pretty skimpy; but looking at the pictures, is there a chance the shock ran out of travel bottomed out on that big bump?
    34bruise.jpg 34travel.jpg

thirtytwo, brad2v, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  17. Rich...I went out to the garage to check and while I don't have a lotta shock travel it appears the scratched paint on the top of the shock was from driving home with the broken piece touching the shock top, the inner fender and the shock's side...all scratched paint areas. However, I'm gonna put a plastic wire tie on the shock's shaft to check travel....thanks for bringing it to my attention.

RICH B likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's nothing like a good weld...and that's nothing like a good weld! That's crap!

19. Rich B was right....shocks bottoming out after a nice ride on Omaha's rough ass streets. I need shorter shocks or longer shock mounts! I'll fix it.

kidcampbell71, daddio211 and Stogy like this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice catch Rich. Rocky, I'd still take up the brackets with Speedway. Those weren't "welded", they were "caulked". Let them know you don't want a replacement as you prefer to reweld them yourself and know they're right. Maybe in exchange, they'll deeply discount a pr. of shorty shocks.
    Everyone reading this is thinking "OK, what Speedway supplied chassis components are under my car".

brad2v, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Rather than go with shorter shox, I think I'd better get the front of the car up a little. Bottom of the frame and tops of the drag link and tie rod are wanting to get real chummy. I believe it's time for another leaf and maybe a 1" spacer. Springs settle over time and mine are no exception.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Rocky, I was perusing the recent Street Rodder (the subscription that never seems to end) and I saw that QA1 has hot rod shocks. They look the part and they are QA1 which is a name I trust. Just need to peel off that decal
    upload_2018-9-22_15-8-18.png

brEad, Tim_with_a_T, wingnutz and 2 others like this.
  23. Thanks, Billy

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

26. Getting ready for the winter tear-down to fix some stuff. Biggest PIA is the rear main seal leak. Grrrrrrr...I plan to pull the motor/trans to do the seal change. I also have a problem with my trans [Muncie M-21] popping outta 4th gear on deceleration.
    So, I decided to begin draining liquids and changing the headlights. When I put the car together I bought a pair of these whippy Halogen bulb-style headlights. They had worked great in my old 49 ford project but those were real Hella lights. I loved them. The ones I bought for the 34 turned out to be cheap Chinese knock offs. Worked great on low beam but terrible on high beams.
    I swapped em out for a pair of simple halogen sealed beams this afternoon. Much better in operation and they look more traditional. Now, I need to make a list of shit to fix before I actually begin tear-down.
    Old lites were flat faced and plastic...new ones are glass sealed beams...round faced. 34litesb4.JPG 34litesdone.jpg

little red 50, brEad, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool man :) glad you got so many miles in this year. Gave it a great shake down

loudbang likes this.
  28. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Thanks, Jeff...will do. See ya at the HAMB drags! I can run this year because I bought some seat belts and scored a puke tank. Trying for the 9s........?

cactus1, brEad, brad2v and 3 others like this.