Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49-50 OD Transmission Shop in SoCal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I’ve got a 49-50 Ford OD transmission I’d like to have looked at before I get impatient and start disassembly myself. Any recommendations on a shop in SoCal??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. toml24

toml24

Mike Johnson at Speedway Transmission. Mike races Late Model NASCAR stocks on the paved 1/2 mile oval at Irwindale Speedway on Saturday nights. Mike is very cool. Tell him Tom the jalopy guy sent you.
    2015-Mike Johnson business card.jpg 2015-mikes shop 013a.jpg

Crookshanks likes this.
  3. Call Jorge at AA Gear in Los Angeles

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Crookshanks likes this.
  4. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

6. deucemac

deucemac

You ca easily rebuild one yourself. The only special tool needed is s snap ring compressor for a large ring. Look for an old Chilton or Motors manual on craigslist or old book stores. Both the R 10 and R 11 were used back then by just about everybody. Take your time and follow the instructions and pictures and all will be well. That's how I learned may years ago. No brain surgery here.

7. 2X^^^^^^ did mine also. I used a 1957 Chevy shop manual. Although my OD is from the 60's, the unit itself is much the same. I pulled apart a Saginaw 4 speed and put the OD on that with instructions from an old Hot Rod magazine. Works just fine, and my first tranny build!

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

I redid my 51 merc od it was a heck of a lot easier than i thought it would be.

deucemac likes this.