Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP! 250 in-line 6 +th350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Francisco Serrano, Aug 22, 2018.

1. I need help figuring out what my problem is.
    I have 1951 fleetline deluxe. I have installed a 250 in-line 6 out of a ‘75 chevy pick up. The motor runs perfectly and I attached a 350 turbo trans that Came off a 350 motor I bought a while back. (I saw it running before I got it that’s why I attached it to the 250)
    I got the motor and tranny dropped in after having to replace mounts and cross membrane, also modify fire wheel and radiator support and custom cut Drive shaft.

After I picked it up from the drive shaft place I was super excited about picking it up and being able to move it finally, but when I picked it up and put it into gear (manually with a screw driver I figured out It wouldn’t go into gear. It would go in reverse after I reved it up a bunch, but never into drive. I saw a few videos on YouTube and saw that a big problem with turbo 350s is the vacuum modulator and the governor gear,)
    I looked at my transmission and the vacuum modulator isn’t even connected to anything, WHERE DOES THE VACUUM MODULATOR SUPPOSED TO PLUG UP TO in-line 6?

I don’t want to pull out the transmission and buy a rebuilt one if maybe I’m just missing a few things.

Please help

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. My first question is, do you have the TV cable from the transmission connected to the bellcrank underneath carb. If that cable is not connected and the ratio is not correct, the tranny won't work properly.
    Bob

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

The TH350 cable is just a "kick down" cable. It doesn't control a throttle valve like a TV cable does. It'll operate without the kickdown cable hooked up but won't have the "kick down" function.

Bob

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

Full manifold vacuum. Since the transmission was originally behind a 350, you may want to install an adjustable modulator to fine tune it to the vacuum characteristics of the 6 banger.
    Bob

5. No I do not. I believe the only thing that is hooked up from the transmission is the hose for the trans cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 1930 A

1930 A

governor gear will not affect it going into gear. Only if it will shift or not. Same with the vacuum modulator. It won't affect it going into gear just how and when it shifts. I'd check make sure you have enough trans fluid. Also is the pump working? to check pump operation pull out the dipstick and see where the oil level is on the stick, (should read overfull). Start the engine and check the level with the engine running. If the pump is working the oil level should be lower on the stick.

7. If the pump would be the problem, where is it located?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 1930 A

1930 A

If the pump is the problem trans has to come out to fix it.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^All good information so far by the guys^^^^^. After you get this all sorted out, find the "clip" that holds the cover in place for the governor; the governor actually is kept in place by the clip AND cover, and even "adjusted" by deforming the cover for clearance. You don't need the cover being pushed out is what I'm getting at. You've got reverse, so the pump is't the issue. The pump is only accessible with the transmission removed, the torque converter removed, and the pump to case bolts removed; the pump is then pulled from the case. Get the vacuum modulator connected, be sure the ATF level is correct; if it is and still no forward gears, then toss a can of "Trans-Medic", or a similar product in; they have chemicals in them that work to soften hardened seals, that can happen when a transmissions sits around for a while. IF you still don't have forward gears after that, then the transmission will have to come out for rebuild or replacement. Now, about that integral headed 250..............................................................................
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Francisco Serrano likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your fluid level with the engine running, not with the engine off.

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds like low fluid to me, too. fluid has to be hot, like after a run on the highway. the pump is on the front of the trans. make sure your torque converter bolts are tight, as well.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. I forgot to mention another important tip. This won't affect whether or not your transmission will go into gear, but it could very well affect the life of the transmission.
    Pull the dipstick and smell the fluid. If it has a burnt smell, at the very least, the fluid in the transmission and torque converter will have to be changed.
    I have had excellent luck with used TH350 and TH400 trannys when I have bought them in used vehicles. I attribute this to the fact that I always drop the pan, clean out the old clutch material, change the filter, and replace the fluid in the tranny and torque converter.
    Bob

13. Yeah, your correct, I had a brain fart because for some reason I was thinking of a 700r4.
    Bob