Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help id’ing this bed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bantam, Aug 22, 2018.

1. bantam

bantam

D1AF9565-243A-483A-9208-5B1DA893AC14.jpeg hi guys -

I have a 1950 GMC cabover and right now there is nothing behind the cab in terms of any type of bed. I am considering purchasing the bed in the photo and then I would need to stretch it to the length of my chassis. Thus, I may need to buy a second bed or at least a new set of bed sides to splice into this bed. Before I pull the trigger on this bed can you please tell me what year(s) and make/model this bed originally came from? I figure you sharp eyed guys will know in a few minutes.

Thanks

Bantam

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. If you're buying new bed sides why buy this one, the fenders are the wrong year for your cab anyhow ?

3. bantam

bantam

3 minutes. Damn, you guys are good.

4. bantam

bantam

I would buy it primarily because it is cheap, close by and rust free AND my COE sits on a bagged 1970’s one ton Chevy suspension, has a 396 BBC, turbo 400 and 14 bolt corporate rear end so it’s not exactly in original condition as is. I would prefer an earlier bed, as you imply, but haven’t found a decent one, regardless of price, in 2 months of looking. Hate to pass thIs one up at $300.

Bantam

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. XXL__

XXL__

Fenders are all the same 55-66. There are some trivial differences to other parts like dimensions and locations of cross sills, etc., and a couple of not-so-trivial changes like bed-to-frame mounting holes. Mar-K has a superb breakdown of the differences (attached PDF below)... I have found it to be extremely accurate.

Attached Files:

6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good deal....photo shop it or post pics in new thread..themoose on the Hamb saw my post and ..sure nuff, im looking at 4 inch chop on my 50 dodge..COEs are cool...good Luck..

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

8. Don't forget 66 models were equipped with mandatory backup lights, so that year fender is different. 1966 stepside back up light.jpg

XXL__ likes this.
  9. redo32

redo32

Why not have a sheet metal shop bend up the bed sides to the length you need. No dents to fix and new metal. If they can't do the round part, you can weld on tubing. I'll bet you can get new stake pockets and front panels too.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It may be a little "wide" to fit the width of your cab, without looking a little "off", but if the price is reasonable, buy it, because they're a high demand item. 55-66 Chevrolet/GMC are basically the same, except for the tailgate denoting the make. It looks to be in pretty good shape. It also looks to have a rear end, and most of the rear part of the frame. Maybe shorten your chassis, and graft this one on? Good luck. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Exactly what I was thinking...

12. redo32

redo32

Dare I say "Great minds think alike"

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

if the other side is just as nice, yes, I wouldn't pass it up for that price. it would be at my place already.

Would I cut it up and stretch it? No, I agree with the others if you are stuck on your original plan. Why molest this one if you are going to redo/change most of it?

I would save this for another project, use it for horse trading or change my original plan and shorten my truck up using this bed/frame section.

My favorite is saving this for your next project because us car guys never have enough projects going at once, right? Might as well join the hoarders club, we have lots of friends out there and seem we have a few here too that don't understand having more projects than time left. :)

So did we find the right cab to go with your new bed trailer yet? Yep, never to early to start the next project. :)

14. This is Baron's truck which like yours is totally non original under the sheetmetal. He made his own bed and added correct for year fenders, it just looks right.
    FB_IMG_1535029716734.jpg FB_IMG_1535029743041.jpg

15. bantam

bantam

Thanks for all of the responses. SWADE41.....thanks for the photos of Baron's truck. Like the length of the wheelbase.....as you said - it just looks right.

swade41 likes this.
  16. Only if its a restoration. :D