Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 style frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Aug 22, 2018.

1. 48stude

48stude

My friend just bought a 30 Model A roadster. He would like to get a 32 style frame , but he would like to run the stock Model A hood. So the question I'm asking is does someone make a 32 style frame that would allow the use of the stock Model A hood. Thanks , Bill

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. alchemy

alchemy

Wheelbase is shorter, so probably not. But he could do it himself. Just move the front crossmember back until his hood fits.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Chop the '32 rails off and jig the frame. Graft on the 'A' rails at the firewall.
    '32 rails rise at the firewall, raising the radiator and hood to unsightly ('unusable') dimensions.
    There are some aftermarket companies that 'rake' '32 frames, but that is in the opposite extreme.

chryslerfan55 and 48stude like this.

5. pitman

pitman

The '31 on my page-album pics, used ASC rails & rect. tube 2x4x.140" for crossmembers.
    You can look up threads here, C9, an emeritus member told me to pinch and modify, to make the fit. Boxing will stiffen, and planning WB to 103-15/32" will get you a good fit. I took roughly 3" off the frame horns, to match the stock A, as Deuce are longer.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and 48stude like this.
  6. 48stude

48stude

Well here is the caveat, the monkey in the wrench... This fellow is a younger guy ( maybe 45-48 ) He is a super nice guy. His wife is an engineer. When she sees him with a screwdriver or cresent wrench, She runs to see what he might be about to screw up. He loves hot rods and customs, but can be very naïve when it comes to the simplest details. He wants to learn and would like to be involved in this build. I have a Gary Maxwell chassis under my 29 that I'm building. Getting the body and frame to like each other has been a lot of work( on the frame and on the body) So something like a Brookville chassis that has been shaved level to ease the mounting of the body is what I'm looking for. I think he will get discouraged if things get too complicated. He has pics from TROG that shows A roadsters on 32 frames with A grille shells and stock A hoods which he really likes. So my guess would be that they have had the frame mods that you guys have suggested. . Bill

7. alchemy

alchemy

Show us those TROG pics and we can probably guesstimate what was modified.

chryslerfan55, X38 and 48stude like this.
  8. redo32

redo32

There are several companies that produce pinched '32 frames for Model A bodies. Steadfast makes rear subrails that allow the body to fit the '32 frame. Mount your body and radiator and shell and send the measurements to Rootleib and they will build a hood to fit. Not a lot of engineering needs to be done today, just careful fitting and measuring and bolt it together. Hundreds and hundreds of A's have been built on '32 frames with stock ("32) wheelbase, they look good and handle better, why spend the time and effort to mess it up.

Walden Speed Shop has a new frame that will mount the A body.

9. 48stude

48stude

I'm just trying to help give this guy what he wants. If things work out ,I plan to stop by his place this evening and I'll have him show me that picture at TROG that he likes real well. He wants to build something that looks like A's at TROG. Bill

10. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I run a 32 frame with model a crossmembers and a stock hood but no hood sides. I had to shorten the rad a bit and trim the grill shell a tad to make the body line straight but it worked out.

20117047_777960649031982_7929439092823260990_o.jpg

rpent, jetnow1, akoutlaw and 3 others like this.
  11. 48stude

48stude

This car really represents what he would like to do.
    _1930-ford-.jpg

akoutlaw and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like the Gas Monkeys shortened a 32 frame. Probably unkicked the front frame rails too, as stock they would have a bit of upward slope and an A hood would require a flat frame.

48stude, X38 and chryslerfan55 like this.