Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac spindles on 48 Ford axle?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CadMad, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

me too google says '54-'55 0* but it was only one source and no detail...I would be using a Ford A axle [​IMG]

2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Even the easiest to find Ford spindles the F1 needs some adjustment

3. CadMad

CadMad

Im learning lots from this discussion regardless, so no problems if you want to go off on a tangent. So the Kpi of Cadillac 46 thru 56 is 5.5 degrees and 57 thru 60 is 4 degrees. So 46 thru 56 is the preference ( cos I have everything already. ) Boring out the axle to Cadillac kingpin specs looks like the way to go. . . .and then giving the axle a 2.5degree tweak both ends.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you do plan to rebore the axle king pin holes and you have the right machinist, you maybe able to steal a couple of degrees at the time of reboring, making your tweaking the axle even less difficult...

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That would cause the king pin bore to no longer be perpendicular to the king pin boss ends. They, of course, could be machined to correct that, but they would also be shorter. And, if the axle ends would still be need to be bent, may as well do it all with one operation........imo

Ray

fiftyv8, Fordors and X38 like this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

I agree with Ray about boring the king pin bosses, better to do only one operation.
    I would use Ford k/p’s for two reasons, boring the k/p bosses will reduce the wall thickness of the boss and then you still have to machine the lock grooves in the k/p’s.
    If the spindles had sleeves inserted then you could use standard Ford k/p bushings, but be sure to drill the grease holes in the sleeves. I think sleeves will be cheaper to have made up than the cost of boring the axle.
    Another factor is cost of the new pins, the Ford set is around $40, a Cadillac set for your spindles is $100+