Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How Often Do You Wax?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Wouldn't that mean it has to be washed first ? :rolleyes:

The few times in past 30 years I've spent (wasted ?) time for such frivolities on my Roadster, as far as I can tell, it didn't provide any significant improvements in the fuel efficiency, handling or performance. And it still leaks engine oil. :(

A friend stopped by earlier today and commented how the Roadster, including its engine, undercarriage, suspension, etc being covered with dirt, grease/grime, oil & sand looks like it just finished a Baja 1000 or Paris-to-Dakar rally. :D

On the more serious note, for clients and some of my own "show quality"(?) cars I use "professional" quality cleaning, rubbing, polishing and swirl removing compounds & products along with variety of "professional" buffing and polishing equipment & machinery.
    Most of the heavily advertised/marketed consumer targeted "brand" products are pretty much same snake-oils in different packages, nothing more, nothing less. Just pick your favorite.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    cactus1 likes this.
  2. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I don’t understand people and not taking care of their cars. Especially car guys.

People fantasize about their cars, think about them for years - just how they want them to look, what color they’ll be, just what equipment it’ll have, they indebt themselves tens of thousands of dollars (newer cars, obviously). Then they get them and treat them like shit. Never wash them or only take them to car washes and never wax them and the clear coat flakes off like a glazed donut. Strokes/folks I suppose. Just drive an old Geo Metro or some such.

tb33anda3rd, Blues4U and Special Ed like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

talking about wax is about as interesting as looking at photos of what you ate for lunch.:)

cactus1 likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ROFLMFAO.jpg
    Wax? I think I waxed the 48 in 1982.
    True story in the 80's some of my students would come in my office to see if I had won anything as a door prize at the show I went to over the weekend as I usually won a can of wax more often than not. I'd set the wax or polish on a shelf in my office and the first one who found it had dibs but you couldn't snag two in a row.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Ever hear of Simonize? Every spring and every fall I got to help Mom polish with Dupont #7 then wax with Simonize both our family Buicks. Dad was always at work when it was time to do the cars. He would drive one Buick the first "cleaning" day and the other one the next day. You have not grown up proper until you rub your ass off on two big Buicks with fading factory paint. Mom said it built muscles and character! I have to say, they sure looked good when done and beaded water like crazy. By the time my brother got old enough to help Turtle Wax was used, I told him that was sissy stuff!!

Blues4U and Special Ed like this.
  6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'm on my final can of liquid glass. once in spring, once in the fall.

Blues4U likes this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

My shiney paint cars get wax once a year. The suede's get hosed.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Blues4U likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

@Blues4U Cleaner wax is Not the final stage of the job according to Meguiars. You should use a finish wax or glaze. If I remember correctly. Meguiars like to sell product so they always have one more step! lol

dan c, Doctorterry, TTR and 2 others like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

10. Do you go to "Cracks and Sacks" for that ?....

Deuces and Mtn Goat like this.
  11. LOL Nuts n butts. I can never tell if its a hardware store that sells ciggs or a male salon.

Doctorterry, Deuces and Mtn Goat like this.
  12. I think this guy has.

[​IMG]

My grandpa always said you should never get advice from a salesman. :D

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't waxed or washed a car in years & years, but my wife does. She loves to detail cars and she's good at it. She does the cars kept inside, once a year and the outside cars get done about 2-3 times/year.

Doctorterry likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, you know with all the posts on painting around here, I KNOW there are guys here who care about the paint on their cars and take care of it. I was hoping they would chime in here.

A good paint job on a car takes a lot of labor, money and time. You can't tell me that after going through that you're not going to spend some time cleaning it and applying something (wax) to preserve the finish. That makes no sense.

I expected the jokes, like Beaners, about waxing for hair removal, that's why I worded the title the way I did. OK, we got that out of our system early on. We had our giggles, now, can we get serious about paint care and preservation?

If you just have suede cars, or you don't care about taking care of your car's finish; if you'd rather drive your car than polish it; whatever, good for you, I'm sure we're all really impressed with how butch you are. But please, your posts aren't contributing anything of value, can you keep them to yourself? Thanks.

tb33anda3rd and Chili Phil like this.
  15. I think a lot of how often depends on where you live and what wax you use.

For example when I was in the rain forest and using *Turtle Wax ® it was at least once a month. I went back to a decent past wax and moved it out to every couple of months and when I bit the bullet and used good ol carnauba wax I was hitting it once a year. Combination of heat and rain.

My buddy who lived in Mexico City was waxing twice a year with carnauba and hittin it with a dose of Turtle Wax ® in between. The pollution (especially the hydro-carbons) were kickin' his butt.

Now I got a friend that waxes his bike with Turtle Wax ® twice a year. He lives out in the country in NorCal, and parks his bike outside. Coolish weather, not much rain (compared to the rain forest), no salt air and no city type of pollution.

* the liquid easy to apply stuff

Blues4U likes this.
  16. oldsman41

oldsman41

Once a year in the spring, i use liquid glass

dan c and Blues4U like this.
  17. I've found the best price for good carnuba wax at my local paint store. It's pure liquid carnuba, from 3M co. Good stuff. It usually takes about 3 applications to get it thick enough to look right. There are lots of bugs in my area and the wax protects the paint.

Blues4U likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me not waxing the 48 or the 51 Merc had nothing to do with "not taking care of it" you just don't wax primer as a norm. Each got scuffed down and shot with a fresh coat of primer at least one a year and as it was black the Merc got a fresh coat several times a year when it started looking a bit scruffy.
    When the 48 is finished an painted you can bet I'll be waxing it on a regular basis, I wish MeGuires still made their competition wax they made in the late 60's and early 70's. That made a car so slick anyone who tried to sit on the fender would slide off on the ground.

Chili Phil likes this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, I'm thinking it probably isn't the longest lasting stuff, that's why I posted. I'm interested in what guys are using that can go 12 months in between applications.

20. I like looking after my paint. I have had very good success and longevity of results with Zaino products. They are a bit spendy to get started but very easy to apply and the results last.

Blues4U likes this.
  21. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cell phome 003.jpg I have a 57 chev painted base coat/clear coat over 30 years ago. All I have ever used on it is 3M products.The microfinishing is expensive but contains no silicone. Goes on easy,off easy no buildup but only lasts probably 2 months even though car is always garaged.

Blues4U and Chili Phil like this.
  22. Gman0046

Gman0046

I should mention the "suede" on my cars is not primer. It's either base coat with no clear and in some cases I've done base coat and flattner added to to the clear. Either way I use a Turtle Wax spray detailer thats specifically made for black cars. Does a great job with no streaking.

Gary

Blues4U likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1955, Santa Clara:
    My Mom had a '48 Cad, very fast for a flathead Cad...She had J&J Customs in San Jose drop it front and rear, louver the hood, (220 'round' louvers) and Babe's Muffler Service installed dual exhausts.
    There was a black '49 Olds tudor, jacked up in back, this guy 'Ed' had his nickname in large letters on the front fenders...
    Mom came back home one morning, told about a little race she had:
    Her words: "I JUST 'WAXED' "SLIPPERY ED!" -true story...

Mtn Goat, Blues4U and Chili Phil like this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

25. @Blues4U sorry man I just cannot let this one go.

I always wax before streaking. :D :D :D

26. indyjps

indyjps

Going from experience on my daily's, in the past worked as dealership detailer.

Really like clay bar, I use it with soapy water. Doesnt take as long as you would think.

Goop, white snot looking hand cleaner with no grit. Good for bugs and tar. Doesnt work quick but its safe.

Cleaner wax when needed prefer clay bar. Carnuba the rest of the time.

Hand rub with 3M imperial hand glaze does wonders.

Wax Brand is up to you, if the surface is clean they all work well.

Mtn Goat and Blues4U like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Your mom sounds awesome! :D

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thank God for that! :D :D

Doctorterry, porknbeaner and Deuces like this.
  29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I never wax base coat clear coat.. I may hit my wash cloth dipped in hot water with a quick dusting of Pledge every now and then..

Thank God we don't have to Simoniz the rotten lacquer anymore!!!