Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you paint that? fixtures and taping technics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Thanks! Looks really great, well done!

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. jazz1

jazz1

I usually hang everything. Doors, tailgates and of course smaller items just above eye level so i'll be sure to walk into them....twice!

Truck64, tb33anda3rd and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Was it a big fight to keep wide white walls off it? Bob

4. i am not sure, it came with those tires and wheels, i had to match the color of the car to the powder coated wheels. problem i had/have is the paint changes tone/shade with the light. looks way off under fluorescent light, perfect match in bright sun. lighting doesn't effect the color of the powder coat.
    you can see the shade difference at this angle. IMG_1882.JPG

TFoch, MP&C, brad2v and 1 other person like this.
  5. i taped this off using fine line plastic tape and sprayed this with solid color, NO clear. tape lines buffed off/out clean. IMG_1885.JPG i left this photo large so you can zoom in.

Cosmo49, TFoch, ct1932ford and 7 others like this.
  6. brad2v

brad2v

Wow, that looks nice, likely nicer than it's ever been. Nice job, and interesting technique

Cosmo49, Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. had to give a quick paint job on a set of model A front fenders. to tape off the inside edge i jammed a couple paint sticks between the fender and frame, leaving an edge of the stick to tape to. DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

8. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

9. Seems like every time i hang something from a wire it blows around with the paint. Then I either grab it and end up with a finger mark, or i get too close and it runs.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

image.jpeg I like to hang small light parts on cut up hangers and hold them while spraying them, moving them around to get coverage then hang them out of the way to dry. The headlight doors I was priming and I set the middle on a piece of angle iron and I have a ball of tape under the lower tip so the edge of the piece doesn't sit flush on the paper and stick making the edge a pain to deal with

Bowtie Coupe, Woogeroo, MP&C and 3 others like this.
  11. this pickup bed wood was never treated correctly and sat out in the elements for a year. finished wore right off and the wood started to rot. i started by using a scraper to take off what was left of the clear and the "soft" rotted wood. i kept the scraper sharp and was able to strip off a top layer. DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0009.JPG DSCF0010.JPG

Bowtie Coupe, ct1932ford and loudbang like this.
  12. i then let it sit in the shop at night and out in the sun during the day to dry out the wood for a week, then sanded it down with 220 grit. DSCF0011.JPG

13. i made a couple samples of stains on oak, and chose the walnut stain. DSCF0001.JPG

14. F&J

F&J

Who the H you think you are bullshitting?... a rainfree week in CT this year??. Thunderstorm right now.

15. i blew off the bed, gave it a good vacuum, then taped it off. i brushed the stain on , then buffed it even with a rag. DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004 2.JPG DSCF0005 2.JPG DSCF0006.JPG

16. i let the stain dry for 24 hrs and today i tacked it off and brushed a coat of spar varnish on it. i will put a few coats of varnish and smooth with steel wool between coats. DSCF0004.JPG

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Never saw this thread before but very interesting so I will at least leave a comment to mark where I am so I can look through it more thoroughly later when I have more time;) Thanks!

loudbang, MP&C and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. hah! it took two weeks to get a week of sun.

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

don't forget to seal the underside and the edges/endgrain

loudbang likes this.
  20. yeah. the right way would have been to take it all out and reseal all sides. the bottom still looks good, the hidden edges, i am not sure. i just needed to make it look better and slow the decay. i was not sure i should post this, but it does show a way to improve the looks.

21. safetythird

safetythird

This is my favorite thread, as I'm a beginner painter and trying to avoid learning from my mistakes. I'd rather learn from other people's mistakes.

And I want to apprentice for @tb33anda3rd

22. 100_9208.JPG Big old jack stands fit the headlight buckets and make it easy to paint, made some steel saw horses and bent some flat stock to hold both doors straight up to paint all areas. made a wood cart for 100_9217.JPG bed4c.jpg 100_8608 (2).jpg the body and bed..then recycle the wood or use it in the fire pit...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    brad2v, Bowtie Coupe, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  23. radiator shell hung by 4 wires so i could paint all sides. this is the new jeep color "anvil". DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG

ct1932ford, nunattax, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  24. i needed to paint this little choke rod. i slipped the end that goes into the choke spring, into a piece of small vacuum hose then put a piece of wire into the other end of the hose. i could now turn it so i could paint all sides . IMG_4152.JPG

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

that paintjob should see us all out

26. the garment rack tank "rotisserie" brackets I rigged for the M.G. tank adapted to a ford tank. proving making fixtures is worth the effort when they can be used again and again. IMG_4359.JPG

TFoch, ct1932ford, nunattax and 7 others like this.
  27. extra bonus, the fixture held the tank while I sanded and buffed all sides, without worry of scratching the fresh paint IMG_4372.JPG .

28. oh no!!!!!!!!! IMG_4425.JPG IMG_4426.JPG that top needs to be replaced!

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and ct1932ford like this.
  29. taped off the trim. Classic upholstery dye sprayed through a gun. not perfect but a cheap "Fixup". IMG_4427.JPG
    IMG_4428.JPG IMG_4429.JPG

LAROKE, bigheadbaxter, TFoch and 9 others like this.
  30. ^^^ Very nice!

nunattax and Bowtie Coupe like this.