Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Semi-Gloss Black Spray Paint suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskerNation, Aug 20, 2018.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Right now I’m a bit annoyed with Rust-Oleum paints! I cannot find semi-gloss black spray paint in either the 1) Engine Enamel 500F or the 2) Professional High Performance Enamel. Plus, I’ve never even seen the 3) engine enamel 500F primer.

I started an engine compartment restoration on my 37 coupe using 500 degree semi-gloss engine enamel and needed to continue with semi gloss. I chose the 500F degree paint as an added temperature protection above their normal temperature paint which I believe is around 200F degrees. After running out of the 500 degree paint I cannot the Black Semi-Gloss anywhere locally. My next choice was their Professional High Performance Enamel semi gloss black spray paint and it too cannot be found.

What other Semi Gloss Black paint would be recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Krylon would be my choice...

zzford likes this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d suggest you stay away from the rustoleum spray paints. I’ve had nothing but problems with them.
    I’ve now use dupli-color paints and always prefer the engine enamels for longevity. Napa is one parts chain that carries them.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. I do like the Rustoleum 'Painters Touch' primers (it's the only rattle-can primer I've found that isn't porous, i.e. won't allow rust if exposed to weather) but their finish coatings take effing forever to dry.

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GM chassis black. Again, you have to spray it with a gun or one of those little squitter's shown above but with a little hardener it looks best and lasts longer than any rattle can I have ever used.

8. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Thanks guys! Gotta go get a thermostat for the coupe so I’ll see what NAPA has in stock.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I used Dupli Color rattle can self etching primer from NAPA, good stuff but more $$$.

HunterYJ and olscrounger like this.
  10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SEM 39143 in spray cans--39144 in qts

11. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

OSH , Orchard Supply Hardware brand semi gloss black spray cans is what I use.
    I like it better than Krylon.

Blues4U likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Krylon semi flat black was my old standby for years, I bought a lot of it but they reformulated it and it's just not the same.
    I found the SEM Euro jet black in satin to be easy to use and durable but again it is somewhat more money.

slowmotion likes this.
  13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Our Walmart handles the High Performance Semi gloss.

fiveoh108 likes this.
  14. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

I used valspar on my rattle can job on my 55' Studebaker. It went on very smooth and wore well. So well I couldn't get it off when I did the real paint job later. 455821-1364130577-3dd9374e65e0a0ff7887b542e006d92f.jpg 455819-1364130577-263169d0a084842d3bcc4ee82b520d49.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    vtx1800 likes this.
  15. Plasticote engine enamel with ceramic......at orileys.

16. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

I have had good luck with Duplicolor semi -gloss black enamel on chassis parts, axle housings and body parts. Sprayed well, weathered well, touch ups blended right in.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

The old Krylon satin black was the go-to, like Denny said. SEM is quality stuff and a little expensive, but it is professional grade. I've heard good things about TranStar's chassis black also, but no 'hands on' personally.

18. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

I find Duplicolour the best out of all the rattle can high temps I have tried.

Also rather like the black you get from tractor stores but you need a gun to shoot it. Industrial/Agricultural stuff. Cant remember its name but last really well and handles abuse of tools whacking and knocking it. Also works out cheaper by far.

19. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I stopped by NAPA & picked up the Dupli-color engine enamel with ceramic. Says it’s good to 500F and called “Ford Semi-Gloss Black. Thought that was kinda different as it only said “Ford” on the tag on the back. The lid just said semi-gloss black DE1635. I’m sure it should be fine but definitely interesting.

A little later I stopped by a National Coatings store & had looked at the SEM paints. Afterward while sitting in the truck (in their parking lot), I saw olscrounger’s recomendation & went back in to find it. SEM trim paint they said was the number and in a satin sheen. Never occurred to me to consider that but it is used on bumpers so it can’t be too bad!

KustomKreeps and HunterYJ like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had an OT project that I had spent HOURS prepping tail light trim and wanted to use the SEM euro jet black satin trim paint because I had heard all positive reviews about it, found that Summit or Jegs had it, ordered it to find it was back ordered, ended up waiting three weeks for it, was worth it, really nice paint to work with (comfortable nozzle too).

21. rfraze

rfraze

You are correct about the Krylon. It changed to an Alkyd and you might avoid the potential problems by reading and following label instructions. The old formulation had me spoiled, it was easy.

22. Rustolem bought krylon. Now krylon paint is just as bad as Rustolem.
    Seymore brad sprays great. Last good to. But hard to find

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have an International Harvester equipment dealer close by their fiz can spray paint is about as good as it gets as far as going on nice and holding up to abuse.

KustomKreeps likes this.