Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New project, Ford f100 1963 Pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Man7sell, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Man7sell

Man7sell
    from Snohomish

New here. OK so it's not a 30' pickup. Bought this truck that was started but not really much done. Replaced the 6cyl with a 351W. Replaced the 3 speed with a C6 gearbox. No idea yet where the rear axle came from but not a farm truck that's for sure. Disks at the front but no power brakes or steering. Interior leather has been nicely re-done but the cab interior is not painted.

Intentions: Have a rebuilt 351W with cool pistons, new crank and 30 over. Picked up some flowed and ported Mustang heads, get a little more aggressive cam. Hi flow oil pump. Then use all the periferals from my engine.
    Add power steering and brake.
    Change the pickup bed for a custom built flareside/stepside look.

Attached Files:

62rebel and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. Find a 65 or 66 bed or put on a stepside bed and it will look better.

warhorseracing likes this.
  3. Man7sell

Man7sell
    from Snohomish

I agree the 61-63 beds are nicknamed the wrongsides as they don't match the cab.

4. 63unibodyfan

63unibodyfan

I am also working on a 63 , but it is a unibody IMG_3620.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Man7sell

Man7sell
    from Snohomish

6. Welcome from WV! I had the sister to that same truck back in the 70's and it was the same blue as the bed you are planning to use. I did the same bed swap for a black one. Mine was a 292 with a four speed and titled as a '64. The first one I had also back in the 70's was all black with a step side and 292 with a three on the tree. Wrecked that one:mad:.

7. 63unibodyfan

63unibodyfan

I’m running a 390 with a c6 , crown vic subframe explorer 8.8

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

dual projects will keep you busy - have fun

9. boats'n'hoes

boats'n'hoes

They never made a step side for 61-66 so I made my own, really makes ford guys scratch their heads 20190526_214638.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jazz1, 6sally6, low budget and 3 others like this.
  10. Yes they did. I had two, a 1964 F100 with the 6' step side and a1964 F350 with a 8' step side bed. Both were factory.

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Correct, they called them "Flaresides" as GM patented the tern "Stepside" just a few hours before Ford tried to patent that same term.

The 1961-63 Ford Flareside was a big seller more so than the "Styleside" integral cab-bed bodied trucks nicknamed.....Unibodies.

The Unibody was too unconventional much like the Edsel. Ever conservative Ford Truck buyers preferred Flaresides over the Uni. Actually they preferred anything over the "Uni". There was a big need for a conventional Styleside so Ford took Flareside cab and chassis' and added 1960 Styleside beds as a stop gap for Styleside customers This was done so they would not go to GM, Dodge or others.

To put it bluntly GM's truck add campaign was Spanking that Ass!
    Cracking and body fatigue was not the problem with the Uni....
    Doors coming open under load and at the right angle was and GM exploited this.
    Another factor GM offered IFS while Ford still had straight axles until 1965.

For 1964 Ford debut it's redesigned Styleside.
    In 1965 Ford debut it's classic Twin I beam and offered all new engine families.

In layman terms.....
    Ford indeed offer a step side through these years and it was very popular. They had different beds, a tall and a short...the short was the same box from mid 1950 until 1979. The same rear fenders were used from 1953-1979.

Cudos on the Custom work. GM fenders with Ford Uni wheel openings.....It's really a good look.

12. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

Unibody tailgates are a unique breed and super rare.I had a '63 Mercury Uni when I was 16

13. 6sally6

6sally6

I would skip the hi-flow.volume oil pump. Std. pressure/volume pump used in some real high HP engines with no problems. IF you do go with it.....get an aftermarket super duper oil pump drive shaft. They really pull a lot of friction/twist and can cause bad news issues.
    Jus say'in
    6sally6

14. finn

finn

The F350 would kale been a 9’ bed.

F100 long bed and F250 were 8’.

F100 short beds were 6’ beds

15. You are correct Sir it was a 9' step side and not an 8' as I said earlier. I'm old. I forget $hit.

16. boats'n'hoes

boats'n'hoes

My point was that they carried the same rear fender front the 53-56 all the way to 79. The 61-66 never had a flareside fender that matched the cab. I do respect all of the knowledge from the f100 crowd. I tried to build this truck to make ford guys ask intelligent questions. Everyone else says "wow that's low, how do you get in it?" Now who has a big rear window I can put in it to make it complete?

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.