Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead cam recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gurt74, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Gurt74

Gurt74

So, been tearing into the flathead this afternoon. 59AB lump. All seems pretty good so far. Got me thinking about how to wake it up a little. Deuce carbs and a mild cam with a little porting work is what I'm thinking ? What cam would you guys recommend for street use with the odd trip to the strip? 20180819_140638.jpeg 20180819_140647.jpeg 20180819_140656.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Gurt74

Gurt74

No flathead guru's around ? or is this one of those questions that if you ask 15 different people running flatheads you'll get 15 different opinions ? :0)

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Yes.
    But if you buy off the shelf get the gnarliest cam available and tune to suit. be sure and bump your compression big cams don't like low compression.

Gurt74 likes this.

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

cams are the women of the engine world! everyone has their own favorite and you wont be able to convince them otherwise! lol
    but IMO, what you are putting it in, and engine size and again, you're preference are the biggest factors.

but, when you say mild cam and rebuilding your flathead that to me seems like you want something pretty low key. the isky 77b is very mild, almost a touch above stock. I built basically the same motor but an 8ba and used an isky 1007b in my light 28 roadster. definitely less torque down low than the 77b but quite a bit more up top.

Gurt74 likes this.
  6. And has been asked at least that many times. ;)

Use the search button above [​IMG]and you'll find lots of opinions.

Gurt74 likes this.
  7. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I put a 1007B in my 286" flathead and have tons of low end torque. It pulls hard all the way to 5000rpm. I may not be getting the most HP possible, but a great street cam.

Gurt74 likes this.
  8. Cam selection takes in way too many factors. RPM range, engine size, compression vehicle weight, transmission, type of driving. It gets worse.

Here is something to think about when selecting a cam shaft. I once owned a Mustang with a Boss 302. It didn't start climbing up on the cam until about 4K. So I spent most of my time with the engine revved to 4K and above. That little car was a bullet and I loved driving it but if I had it today it would only get driven as much as I had too because after a while high rev cruising is a drag.

9. Gurt74

Gurt74

Always try the search first, but if what I'm looking for doesn't appear then I gotta ask the question.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Zip over to fordbarn for more answers. Lots of helpful
    info.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  11. flatjack

flatjack

If it is for the street only, porting is a waste of time. Just tell everyone you did it.

Jason Mitchell likes this.
  12. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I did a lot of bowl work. Lots of room for improvement there!!

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There you go varying opinions already. :D

14. flatout51

flatout51

Call Schneider cams and tell them your specs and what you want to do with the car. Then buy that cam.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Fordors

Fordors

Or you could just follow the lemmings and go to YouTube and listen to a cam. Some guys pick a cam because they like how it sounds at idle. :eek:

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Opinion # 15 ... we have an L100 in a lightweight 32 3W it has a great lope at idle pulls real well , possibly lost a little low end torque .
    Then opinion #16 1007b cam in a motor that was built for a blower , that is fairly mild as far as cams go but its a dream to drive and revs well.
    Opinion #17 a 296 motor with a 400jr ,yet to go in a car.

17. Garpo

Garpo

Cams are very much a personal choice. I have used a Schneider 248, which is real mild by the numbers but with a bit of extra lift (.350)over the original. Engine is a factory relieved C42 wartime block with 040 overbore, a bit of extra compression (Edmunds heads) and a small 4bbl. Trans is a Toyota auto with overdrive and lock up.
    Geared for about 2000 rpm at 70mph in o/d.. All that is in a 32 Fordor. Gets out of the way of traffic nicely and cruises sweet on the open road.
    Vehicle weight and gearing are major factors in making your cam decision. You need to be really honest with yourself about how you intend to drive it.
    Garpo

X38 likes this.
  18. deucemac

deucemac

Absolutely the best advice you could get! Many years ago, when I knew everything, I would call Jerry Cantrell at Schneider and tell him what I wanted. He would patiently ask me loads of questions and then tell my choice wasn't what I needed. His choice has always worked the best for me, from Bonneville to grocery getters. Shelf or catalog cams are a compromise and usually work fairly well but we're not ground for your particular situation. A minor change in lift, duration, or lobe centers can make big differences in the hands of a good cam grinder. Jerry will tweak the for your car. They have been my choice since 1965 and all the converts I have made for them agree. Call 619-297-0227 and talk to Jerry, he's the man. Oh, no I don't make a dime recommending their stuff. It just flat works.

flatout51 likes this.
  19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

isky max1 is a great all-around cam. 400jr sounds racy and is great for mid to upper rpms.

sailingadventure likes this.