Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Widening wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Model A Mark, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey guys, dont think i have the skills to widening my own wheels, and was looking for someone who can,
    There just plane steel wheels, the geenie type , I need them from there 4 3/4 to 6 .. Keeping the same back space.
    Does anyone have a good suggestion as to where I could send them ?
    Wheels vintique will do it, but I dont want to wait 6 weeks ..
    Thanks ..

2. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Wheel Vintique is Coker. They bought Them up a number of years ago.

4. A Boner

A Boner

That is what I thought, but talked to a guy at the Coker booth at Louisville and he said they didn't sell Wheel Vintiques wheels anymore.
    Just buy some special order Wheel Vintiques reversed wheels! Order from Summit and get free shipping. Probably not going to find anyone that will be quicker than 6 weeks.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Try Wheel Smith They are very customer friendly. Just order some new 6 inch wheels with the correct backspace. Cheaper than widening yours.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm in So. California and there is a guy that will swap hoop's but that's to far for you. Did you look these guy's up? https://www.startireco.com/

7. Look up a wheel place like Johnny said, it's just about hoop swapping.

Lucky we have Collins.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  8. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Thanks for the help guys, tomorrow Ill post some pictures of my tires and the wheel size I have now, my friend says I dont need wider wheels, I think I do, the tires are wearing the centers out before the outsides, and I am only running 30 psi , trying to flatten the bottoms out, and even at 30 psi my car leans over on the tires in the big fast corners I like to take off and on the highways

9. The tell tail sign of crowning is wearing the center of the tire a lot faster then the outside (especially on the rear). My panel is kinda doing that too, I dropped the air pressure and it helped (I'm going down a little more). My wheels are 1/2" narrower then the tire co recommends for that tire........I though I could cheat it.

10. Binkman

Binkman

I ordered wires from Wheelsmith in late October/earlyNovember. I was told 6-8 weeks.
    At the end of July is was told the same "out by Friday for sure" story.
    I cancelled them and ordered from Summit.
    I got the wheels from Summit in 7 weeks for 300.00 bucks less. No shipping charges, no tax, and cheaper wheel prices.
    I ordered the 5th one (for the spare) 5 weeks ago and it came today.

11. footbrake

footbrake

There must be some circle track racers in your area. There's probably one of them that has the welding machine to do this as they are always widening their wheels. I had my 8" steel wheels widened to 10" for about $35.00 a wheel.

Model A Mark likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

Unless the wheels are way out of spec. for the tire size you are running, your problem is too high of tire pressure. The tires are too firm (too much air pressure), for the weight of the car pushing down on them! In other words, the tires aren't sitting flat on the road across the tread.....only the center of the tire tread is touching the road, thus only the center of the tire tread is wearing out.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I had Stockton Wheel do a set for me earlier this year. The time was about a month, finished on schedule and very happy with the work.