Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator or Alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 17, 2018.

1. car doctor

car doctor

One wire alternator that looks like a generator. IMG_20180620_184658.jpg

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

After you've had a generator "toss it's solder", and short everything out a couple of times, you'll be swapping to an alternator anyway. We really wanted the old time look of a generator on the 51 Chevrolet Bus Coupe, and that's how it started out, but the generator just did't have the dependability of an alternator, so we lost the generator and installed an alternator. We could have bought one of those alternators made to look like an generator, but they are spendy! If you keep the RPM's down, and can deal with the wavering lights at night, a generator will do the job just fine. But if you're at all like me................................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

On my 49 Ford truck with the big Caddy engine I'm running an alternator. Its a closed hood vehicle and a late model (1971) engine so the generator just make sense and looks right on the engine.
    On the 26 RPU I'm building with the Packard straight 8 Ill run a generator. An alternator just wouldn't look right hanging off the side of that long beast. And, I'll only have the ignition and a few lights to power up.

Bobby

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Headlights dim a bit when the gen is cutout, at low idle. Other than that... BFD. Gens don't like high RPMs that is true.

Generators themselves are getting pretty spendy to buy "new"/rebuilt as well I've noticed. They are easy and cheap to rebuild. Bought a "professionally rebuilt" unit and the SOB didn't sand down the new brushes to the commutator and they burned right away. I just decided early on to keep a generator system and learn about them and see if I could make them work as advertised. They worked for people back then, they'll work for me now.

The regulators can be a problem, like everything else these days the reproductions are not specifically too good. Armature slinging solder means current regulation went bye-bye. Use good NOS or NORS only. It's good thing I didn't know 20+ years ago about all these potential problems with points and carburetors and generators and drum brakes and the rest of it though or I'd a never went anywhere. Colorado, Arizona, Utah, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana etc, some of those states several times, always backcountry roads and dirt trails as far as I could get with 2WD (pretty far) beatin' the shit out of it fully loaded (the truck, not me) Never even thought about it too much. Carried lots of parts but never needed any.

Broke down one time, at the Goosenecks of the San Juan, tooling along in the middle of nowhere mindin' my own business, and engine shutdown just as if the ignition key was turned off. Uh-oh... Maybe vapor lock? Got out, looked around for aliens or black helicopters, didn't see none anyway, got back in after a couple minutes and it started right back up. Weird. You know what "Iowa" stands for, right?

lowroller1, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  5. This is what I do, 63 amps is fine since I have few accessories. It does work a little harder when the fan comes on. I have a local small shop do my starters and alternators for about $55 each and I tell him what I want.

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I had a 6volt generator swapped to 12 volts for the 29 roadster. It cost $95.00. I am very happy with it but the car has no accessories. TROG frowns on alternators.
    The 57 has a one wire alternator. 20170820_181257.jpg 20170603_135301.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

If I didn't give a shit I'd run an alternator

20180817_134150.jpg

jebbesen, loner1, e z i and 11 others like this.
  8. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I run a generator on 6 of mine (all the flathead and bangers) and an alternator on the other 5 (the 60s ohv engines)

Just depends on the era of the car / engine for me.

3W JOHN, Stogy, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  9. With that engine I understand completely. HRP

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

For me it always depends on the application. My '31 sedan was a pure hot rod in the '58-'64 style (no power windows, A/C, or monster sound system) and I never intended to run a hood so I detailed out a generator and regulator. I did have a front bearing failure but I bought a $5 bearing and fixed it, no more trouble.
    Right now, all the rest of my heaps run a 3 wire GM alternator under a hood most of the time. My '56 210 has a 350 dressed up like a 340 hp/327 so the alternator looks appropriate. My '48 Austin gasser shouldn't have either but since it's street licensed it has a GM alternator appropriate for the '65-68 period (external regulator). My '28 High boy has a small modern alternator on it right now (SBC) but when I swap in the 324 Olds I'm building for it, it will get a generator (or a Powergen) for sure.
    Both have worked just fine for me by applying the applying the simple rule; lots of accessories or frequent high rpms - gotta be an alternator of some kind. Old style hot rod with few electrical accessories and moderate rpm - generator.
    DSCN1665.JPG

loner1, 1947knuck, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  11. I’m with Old wolf, we use GM alternators on everything, including the hot rods and Farmalls

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Hold the phone! I’m a proud Iowa native, what does Iowa stand for?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Like many here have said, depends on the application. Generators are a pain in the ass but set up properly they work beautifully. The Regulators can also be a pain. And they're getting harder to find and rebuild. But running a big block olds with no hood in my Model A, no question, it has to be a generator. Everything else gets one wire GM

3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Best of both worlds! One wire alternator built inside original case. Cut-out is non functional with fake wires.
    IMG_8395.JPG

loner1, 1947knuck, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Part of the problem is people drag stuff out of the weeds and expect it to perform without any attention and complain a lot. Electronic ignition has spoiled everyone for example, cleaning contact points and other point rituals was a common routine in wet or humid climates.

Generator regulators have points as well in the relays for cutout, voltage, and current. These need dressing with a point file now and then, or there WILL be trouble. Nobody does this. Maybe twice a year wouldn't be excessive. The generator itself, is pretty bombproof actually.

16. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Like a lot of guys posted if it’s a flattie or anything traditional, especially if your running no hood/ exposed drivetrain run a generator
    Closed hood, not going to be showing off the engine a ton go with alternator .

18. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

Love my PowerGen. Yes theyre not cheap but it has way more out put that a stock Generator, you don't have to dick around with fabing or searching brackets and it has a built in regulator.

3W JOHN, fordflambe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. That's one of those looks can be deceiving deals, it looks right and is modern without compromising the traditional look. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  20. alternator on my 36 3 window... can't see it anyway with the hood on the car... out of sight , out of mind !lol. yes going to loose the blue dizzy cap . 3w3.jpg

1947knuck, 3W JOHN and 47ragtop like this.
  21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I run an alternator on my banger coupe. I would love to run a power gen if I had extra $. I guess I could run an expensive 12V model A gen if I wanted also. A Gererator always looks better on anything old IMO. Function over form or is it form over function? I do like the convenience of a 1 wire alternator. I guess its mostly personal preference.

22. No offense intended to anyone but a Gen II is far more palatable that a electric fan or a aluminum radiator in a open hood car, with the hood closed it doesn't matter. HRP

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

HRP you are right. I wouldn't make a choice to run either an aluminum radiator or an electric fan. maybe on a car that I would keep the hood closed. But I don't own any street rods.;) until my budget can afford a power gen I will run an alternator and hope nobody notices it. HAHA. your average person or even car person doesn't pay enough attention to tell it looks out of place. Don't meet many HAMB types around Cheyoming that would even know the difference.

24. I know it’s FAR. From traditional

But, but what about an alternator of an 80’s or 90’s Honda? Yes I know , I know it’s metric it’s jap etc etc.

But they are bullet proof and about the size of a Florida orange.

Painted black with a v-belt would basically disappear in an engine compartment.

Another idea I had was nascar style with the alternator run off a pulley on the diff and s battery in the trunk. Sure it won’t charge at idle but if you don’t have Ac or a booming stereo what’s the big deal?

25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Alternator on the coupe.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. atch

atch

Clarence has an alternator; the hood is normally closed.

If I ever build (or get) a hoodless car it'll have a generator.

27. There is no doubt in my mind a generator looks right on a engine in a hot rod without a hood.

Your choice has a lot to with the era you want to project and what you prefer, granted the alternator is more reliable but visually on the right engine it can kill the look. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  28. Also depends on the car. A 32' full of billet and ifs will do fine with a chrome alt.

29. That along with a electric fan & aluminum radiator with no hood and EFI:D HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  30. I have run alternators for decades. My personal preference is the GM one wire. But if I could find it I do have a 150 AMP MOPAR school bus alternator. It has found its way into more then one old truck over the last 20 or 30 years.

I have a GM alternator that is an external regulator alternator that is going into a current project. It is only 45 amps I believe but it won't be running anything but the lights and a fuel pump so I am sure that I really don't need the amperage, and it is perfect for the build at hand. Well it is if you learned hot rodding first hand and not from a book. :D

joel, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.