Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2018 H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 2018 H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Geri, patmanta, ryno and 11 others like this.
  2. Good to hear. We all need a re-focus of vision from time to time. I've only been to 4 of the 16, because I'm beholden to the school calendar as a teacher, and only 4 times were the dates not in conflict. We used to use the drags as a Hay family reunion, I being the Texas contingency meeting up with the Iowa contingency halfway for some fun in Joplin.

It's an awesome event, I actually have had dreams of building and racing a traditional gasser or rail at the drags. If you keep this thing going then I'll have no excuse not to.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. So, in other words... you are getting yourself focused and back on topic.

Sort of like our conversation at the track on the cyclical nature of the board.

Tim, kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congratulations to you, and all of your support team. looking forward to your pics of event. the ones already posted by others show a great variety of competitors.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Glad its staying, I'm going to thrash on my Willys pick up and be there next year, Come Hell or High Water......

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

We had a great time this year (as spectators), which we always do. I've raced in the past (once), and my little bro has brought his A pickup a few times to race. But, he has his fires burning for a debut of his latest car at next year's race. Lots of peeking at cars this year for tips, and watching racers for technique. I sure hope he can get that coupe put together for 2019 as I want to be assistant to the crew chief (his 15 year old son).

The only things I can suggest for improvements are:
    1. Less humidity
    2. Bring back some non-race events, like maybe the poker run
    3. Bring back some pseudo-race events like bicycle races between rounds

Thanks for a great time!

7. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Looking forward to drag race pictures. Thanks.

Geri likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks Ryan and all your helpers that put this together for us to enjoy.
    And to think I was thinking of not going (not even sure why I would think like that). Sure glad my buddy Chris said we were.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  9. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks for keeping it alive.
    It's been too long since we both hurried our coupes to the staging lane... maybe that's the cure for next year?

Tim, hiboy32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Always great time thanks for letting us vend . Always like taking a picture with the hamb tent in with car 196.JPG

11. maybelene

maybelene

This was my first trip to the drags and I can understand being worn out from years of it. But as a first time attendee, who had wanted to attend for years, it was more than I imagined. Atmosphere, setting, the way things were run, and cars were perfect. haven't seen races like this since the 70’s. Rest, rework, refocus but don’t underestimate the importance of what’s being done here. My thanks to all for an incredible job!

12. Thanks again Ryan. As my brother and I were driving home with shit eating grins on our face again, we both agreed this is our favorite weekend of the year. Not a better group of guys that I would rather spend the weekend, hungover, sunburned, and deaf with!!! I am so glad you are keeping it going.

Boneyard51 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Once again a great event. As one of the "Geezers" it makes me proud to see the mix at the event. Geezers and youngsters holding up the tradition of the "Gow." Lot's of creativity and just plain gut's to live the dream. You make the World a better place. Long live the dream!!

Boneyard51 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Hell yeah !! Let's not forget the HAMB posers, working on the 10 year .... single dad, hot rod builds. HAMB Drags rule !!! I'd like to get there one day, to smell the fumes, see the smoke, and shake some hands. I love what you do. Thanks from all the back seat HAMB drivers, here with you !

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to hear the drags will live on. I brought my wife for the first time this year, her very first drag race ever! She loved it. I will make a promise to get a few more people to attend next year, and also try to add a couple cars to the competitors list. I also have a friend in Minneapolis who recently came into possession of a cackle car that was under the care of Don Garlits for a long time. I tried to get him there this year, will try harder next year.

16. Well here's the deal. There are people at the drags that I see once a year. These are people who make me feel a little more alive that I actually am. Some of them live close enough that I could actually go see them but we just don't. I have watched their kids grow into men, and the HAMB Drags is where we meet and tell about the last year. It is an important part of our lives.

That said I was once again honored to be at the races. Everyone involved in making this thing happen once again went out of their way to make me feel important. There is just something to be said about being treated like a king by people who are really royalty in their own right. Its is humbling is a way.

Thanks for making this happen my friends, once again you have made my year..

17. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

I looked at my girl, riding shotgun in a hammered old coupe, ripping down the highway in the rain Sunday on our way home. I told her if there was one place I even start to fit in, it's at this event. More people there that "get it" than anywhere else. Thanks for all that you do! 53199.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I don't know how hard this would be, but you and I have had this conversation before....Invitation only or a photo of the car with submission, prior to approval. I don't think quantity is the answer, but rather quality.

I'll be honest, I quit coming because it sort of felt like it was out of control. I was watching you run around, totally stressed and so many cars, there was no place to park.

I am selfish and I miss the early days of a small group of buddies getting together to race. In my case, getting together to work on my crap that never seems to run right. It's ok, I have the same group of guys that are always willing to help.

I am seriously beginning the Drag-n-fly 2.0 overhaul. I was gonna put it off another year, but I think this may the time.

19. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Missed again this year, when it comes to the drag racing, been missing a lot. Never dreamed what a pain in the ass a new engine could be. Got spoiled with the old combo, never had to do a thing to it, maybe check the oil occasionally. I turn 60 next year and I am planning on celebrating all year. Planning on most of that celebrating being car related. Hoping for a whole lot more of pic number 2, and a lot less of pic number 1. HAMB drags are a blast, I know because I got to experience them back in 2012 with my oldest son. Thank you Ryan and all the crew for what you continue to do. IMG_20180814_200344081.jpg IMG_20160407_033637.jpg

20. OH MAN! Even tho I didn't get to race this year, it was absolutely the BEST HAMB drags for me. Got my car together enough to drive from Omaha to Joplin with my brother, who I only get to spend time with every 6-8 years or so. Car performed great, even through the hour long stop-and-go traffic on 71 near K.C. and through the rain north of K.C. to Omaha. A big thanks to Ryan and family and friends for putting this thing on....and thanks to Blakmerc, Flaminabone and Porknbeaner for buying me diet Dr Peppers. 34rodders Journal photo.jpg

63savoy, Geri, Rick28 and 11 others like this.
  21. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I am still a little sad that I didn't get my coupe there ( I am a better participant than spectator) but I missed my target for all the right reasons.... could have been there if I had just added a quart of oil and hit the road, but decided that playing it safe and taking the easy way out wasn't going to fulfill my Hamb Drags goals. So went ahead and tried to build a much bigger and stronger flatty. Just didnt get it all ironed out in time which left me driving my late model and having enough room to take both my sons..... win

Geri, NoSurf, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  22. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

IMG_20180820_125232.jpg Put up my post about missing this year, go to put on a t-shirt and look what's on the top of the stack. Better get my ass to work!

kidcampbell71, Roothawg and Sancho like this.
  23. silverdome

silverdome

Ryan, thanks so much to you and all the folks involved in putting this event together. I'm glad to hear you're reenergized about the H.A.M.B. Drags. I didn't enter my '48 this year mainly because my brother wasn't able to be there because of health reasons, he just received a kidney and pancreas donation. Also I didn't get my car up to the standards that I thought it should be. My family and I were able to attend as spectators though.

This was my son and grandsons first time at any type of drag race and they enjoyed it very much. So keep up the good work. Go Man Go.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The Drags have been pre-register only (photo required) for at least the last ten years...

And yeah, you need to get 2.0 going man. Seriously.

kidcampbell71, hiboy32 and Sancho like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dang, I did not know that. I am collecting parts. It's in sad shape.

26. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be there as long as you want to keep doing it. It is the most fun I have all year.

Get your little coupe there next year and I will give you a proper whuppin.

Thanks for everything, -Abone.

NoSurf, cactus1, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Had a blast this year! Brought my little hot rod loving toddler daughter with and she grinned and made hot rod noises all weekend.

Her first ever drag race got to be some FED’s at the hamb drags. Doesn’t get better than that!

Spent the drive home talking about next year and what to bring :)

28. Brandi

Brandi

Whew! The party rages on. I’ve been in attendance for quite a few years now and this one was probably one of my favorites. It is still a family reunion and the parking lot Friday night buzz is always great, but can we talk about the show the FEDs put on this year?? So fun seeing so many SOLID passes on Saturday out of these guys.

Since #hotrodsofomaha also tends to take over the pool, there’s been talk of bringing back the parking lot BBQ on Thursday night to welcome all the early arrivals.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Maybe there just needs to be an official hot rods of Omaha pool party? Haha

raven likes this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

My kids got to see their first topless stripper at the hamb hotel pool......

raven, NoSurf, fauj and 6 others like this.