Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration YOM license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

I run YOM Tags on all my cars and have never been questioned by Kentucky law enforcement. Kentucky has the best YOM statutes in the country. The only YOM restriction is you have to carry the DMV issued tag in the vehicle your running the YOM Tags on. The DMV does not have any idea what YOM Tag you are running and never gets invoved in any YOM Tag approval. Several of my friends in the Louisville area were instrumental in writing and helping get this YOM statute through the Kentuky Legislature. Great job guys.

Gary

2. 54vicky

54vicky

Stogy forgot to say they are allowed here the hoops and cost make it not worth while for me.I have a set for mine but for my eyes only:D

3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

4. I think today the police have bigger fish to fry. Unless you are driving like a jerk, most cops will leave you alone. Their job is tuff enough.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

New York allows YOM plates. You need to provide a picture of unrestored plates and if the number is not being used in the NYDMV database you can use them. Why they want the plate to be unrestored, no one knows, but most people have the car registered with the plate and then get it restored.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

You can run them in Colorado, no extra charge. Just have to submit a form and jump a couple hoops. Really simple as far as how government things can go.
    I have a 61 plate on my truck. Tricky thing is they actually didn't make a 61 plate, was 60 with a sticker on it. Hunted all over for one and my friend in Nebraska tells me he has one hanging on his wall. He wouldn't sell it to me for anything, but he gave it to me instead. Running that plate means more to me than most will understand. Given to me by one of the original hot rodder/bodymen/bullshitters of our hobby.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The Zipper has a bonded registration from 1999. So, I ordered personalized plates with the same number as the 1927 plates. The '29 supercab has the correct YOM truck plates. MVC-002F.JPG DSC00021.JPG

8. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

In Oregon, the DMV allows me to run early 60s era plates on my ‘32. Different DMV offices are confused about this, but it can be done by treating them as “custom plates”. IMG_1885.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

383deuce, 3W JOHN, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  9. I guess a lot of us are lame in your opinion because we choose to use YOM license plates and I'm OK with it,doesn't bother me in the least but the law is YOM (year of manufacture) when the automobile left the factory and not AYYWTRP (any year you want to run plates) time period you want your car to be perceived, tome that's lame, Just say! :D HRP

10. Found a better shot of my plate. You can see Gary Corkell's well known 32 Roadster next to it. It's featured in the current Street Rodder. :cool:

35077738_10213402406678254_6668857937395449856_n.jpg

11. Not sure if that purple is the original color, but in Maryland, the plates have to be the original color or they won't register them.

12. The Iodine State was emblazoned on South Carolina license plates from 1930 thru 1933 and was a marketing scheme to help the agricultural industry by touting the health benefits of Iodine in South Carolina grown fruits & produce.

Even low country moonshiners around Hell Hole Swamp jumped on the iodine bandwagon, advertising their corn liquor with the slogan “Not a Goiter in a Gallon.”

Eventually Morton Salt Co. decision to add iodine to their product effectively killed the campaign. HRP

upload_2018-8-20_10-45-52.jpeg

13. 10-UH-C is simple now. Just take your YOM tag up to the courthouse and they give you a registration for it, like a normal tag. Easy peasy.
    20180820_082751.jpg

My friend has this one. The best of the best.
    20180504_140649.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    3W JOHN likes this.
  14. The boss lady's wagon. HRP

upload_2018-8-20_11-26-32.jpeg

And with the tailgate down. HRP

upload_2018-8-20_11-27-45.jpeg

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think I can really expect the State of Minnesota to design their license plate numbering schemes for the next 20 years around me and one admittedly afterthought license plate. I'll admit I was a little surprised when I got the notification, but that fact that a set of replacement plates was included and it was a no charge deal softened the blow. Looking back, I can't see how the state could have handled it better. I'm going back to the DMV office to see if the original '51 plates (which I, of course, still have), are good again.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No your not lame it's the only option you have to run an old plate on your vintage car and that's yours and everyone else's option it's just a typical program that was developed by people in one jurisdiction with NO comprehension of how stupid the program actually is. The way I see it is Happy Municipality is going to make the same amount of money whether I run 1929 vintage or 1962 vintage...again if the numbers clear for use what the heck does it matter what I run them on as when you register them to your vehicle when The Law runs your number for whatever reason it should come up to whatever its registered too.

The municipalities minus a few adopted this YOM program like Lemmings minus some it seems.

I did however talk to one fella my way that said you could somehow run any year of plates to your vehicle but it would run you at least $500 to do so and YOM which is available here as eluded above could cost you damn near the same when you add in plate purchase.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My point about the system in your state should be coupled to all plate making or already made plates in database so your clear and if that numbers been cleared for use the machine pumping plates out should be coupled with the vintage plate program so it skips that number.

It's obvious that their system has a very big bug that they should fix and hopefully did. Sorry about your luck.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0121.JPG IMO, the need to "clear" a YOM Tag is BS and useless. Just another hurdle to clear and a way for the state to make money. Kentucky's probably the only one who has it right. No charge, no approval, no hassle.

I should talk, my 60 Pontiac Bubbletop still has the Kentucky issued DMV Historic Motor Vehicle tag on it. Still looking for an excellent 60 YOM Tag. Presently have a 63 Florida and 63 Kentucky new condition Tags on eBay for sale ie anyones looking.

Gary

19. I'm just glad there was enough voices petitioning the SCDMV that they finally gave in and allowed us to run the YOM, we fought for it for years. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  20. XXL__

XXL__

You know Texas has to do everything bigger... about 125 options... see https://www.myplates.com

Ron Brown, 3W JOHN and milwscruffy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think my way here it was the way I'm bitching it should be then they changed it to YOM...:eek:

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Have them on my 57. Have had it registered and insured for over 25 years and it hasn't left the garage yet. I should have never taken it apart to "make it better". And legally you can't use these plates on a daily driver. My insurance card say's "historic"

Pat

23. XXL__

XXL__

In TX, YOM's are simply treated as regular tags. You don't carry an official 'new' plate in the car along with them. The plate on the registration is the YOM plate. There are no driving restrictions on the plate like 'antique' vehicles... unless you ALSO registered the car as antique. So, for example... my daily driver has YOM plates, but I pay regular registration fees every year, have to get it inspected every year, etc. Zero extra fees upon application or thereafter. It seems their only concern is that the plates are legible, and clear for registration. Given that so many states look for any way they can to scrape money from our wallets, this is surprising.

For classics/antiques (YOM or not), you get driving restrictions, significantly reduced registration fees (pay every 5 years... approx what one year would be otherwise), and no inspection required.

24. For many years we only had the choice of a regular issue tag or a antique tag which came with limitations stating, "The vehicle is to be used in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events, but cannot be used for general transportation."

upload_2018-8-20_12-39-5.png

That wouldn't work for me. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  25. South Carolina has 176 options. HRP

Stogy and 3W JOHN like this.
  26. XXL__

XXL__

I'll let the folks in Austin know they need to step it up.

Stogy, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Washington state it is "one and done", pay to license the YOM plate once, no annual fees.
    upload_2018-8-20_10-0-33.png

28. I hope your lines are not as long as ours. :mad: HRP

[​IMG]

29. XXL__

XXL__

Remember, "everything's bigger..."

63573912516014049828182771_long.jpg

;)

30. Here in California the Historic plates comes with limitations, "for motor vehicles manufactured after 1922 which are at least 25 years old and of historic interest" and can be driven to shows, parades and museums only. The "Horseless Carriage" plates are for pre 1922 and the same restrictions apply.

To clarify what I said earlier, I'm a little bummed that you can get yom plates up to 1980. I liked it when the yom program stopped at 1962, that way if you had Black/yellow or blue/yellow plates it meant the plates stayed with the vehicle all those years. Now there's no way to tell really, only if the stickers are on the plate (you still need a year of the vehicle sticker on the plate for yom, that's why they give you tabs for the new stickers).
    [​IMG]

As far as the yom program itself, it's great. I've bought some shady cars before without any plates at all or personalized plates that the old owner keeps. So your only real 2 options are either brand new white reflective fugly plates or spending time/effort to find clear yom plates. To me the choice is clear, plus I like the hunt and extra knowledge gained from research.

Which would you rather have:
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

I guess at least ours are still stamped metal, some other states have gone to screened plastic.