Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Edsel Ranger - Heater control valve leaks coolant?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hotrodzmartin, Aug 20, 2018.

1. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Good Morning:

I have recently acquired 1959 Edsel Ranger 2 door sedan (never had this car before), which is pretty stock with Economy 6 cylinder engine - also all stock. When I started the car the other day, I noticed a slight coolant leak/drip from the top of the valve, which I assume is manual heater control valve (or not) (picture below).
    Does anyone has experienced this and what would be an easy fix except obviously changing the entire valve and hose. I have tried to hand tighten/loosen the knob on the valve, and, boy, this thing will not move. I sprayed some WD40, and the thing will not budge. Before, I start screwing around with this, I wanted to check on the forum and get any advise from people who know what they are doing :eek:)!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Martin

IMG_7923.jpg

2. Tetanus

Tetanus

looks like a radiator drain petcock? left hand threads maybe?

3. Terrible80

Terrible80

You can probably buy the guts at a good hardware store, but in reality why not replace? It would be quicker, easier and you'd know you had a dependable part.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By expanding the photo it looks like a drain valve and not a shut off. Looks can be deceiving.
    A shut off would have packing that can be added to or replaced. I would take it off, put it in a vice and use a long handle wrench to get it apart.

5. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you guys for the replies. It looks exactly like a drain valve that is on the bottom of the radiator; however, the heater hose (black) is connected directly to it so I figured it is a shut off/control valve for the heater.....again, I never had Edsel before and never saw this arrangement before.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

If that thing just screws into the thermostat housing, take it to an auto parts store or a plumbing supply store and get something that will work.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Yep...screws directly to the housing.....will take it out and see what I can replace it with. Thank you.

8. 54vicky

54vicky

I doubt it was factory probably someones solution to a problem not seen.dash heater control not working stuck in full heat position?

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Maybe for bleeding the system?

10. That is a new one on me. I'd probably eliminate it completely.

11. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you guys for your comments. Actually, it was resolved. I cleaned the valve and there are no more drips/leaks. I was also surprised to see this arrangement, but I believe it came like this from factory as the heater works as intended. When I searched online, I saw couple of these Edsel six cylinder engines with the same valve arrangement. Much appreciate your responses though!

12. I doubt that that's factory; Ford generally used a vacuum controlled valve to regulate heater temp and they would spring a leak when the diaphragm failed. Replacements were expensive, so most owners installed a simple on-off valve like what you have. The OEM vacuum valves have been unobtainium for a long time.... I barely managed to find a NOS unit about 20 years ago and paid $100 for it then....:eek:

If your heater controls have a 'temp' lever, it would have had the vacuum valve.

And that style replacement valve will tend to leak if it's not either full-open or full-closed. You can still buy new replacements for them.

54vicky likes this.