Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What looks better I’m confused ! Now with pics of wire rims I’m thinking of buying .. whew !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, May 11, 2018.

?
  1. Coke bottles

19 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Wires

52 vote(s)
    73.2%
  1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Polls closed.......The wires have it! :D

And, the wires shown in post #27 are replicas of the Buick Factory wires.....are what would have been on the car when new if they had been ordered at the time.

Ray

i.rant, VANDENPLAS and upspirate like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wires with whitewalls like the convertible. Lowering it
    makes it look too much like a "Low Rider".

upspirate likes this.
  4. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

If you plan on driving it you are going to love cleaning those wires! Just sayn. ;)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. upspirate

upspirate

Wires with no rake....slightly lowered if you like, but not extreme.
    Change or modify the center caps

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think 54 Buick or even the stock 55 Buick wheel covers without the side pipes and the heavy rake and rear lowering would look great but what do I know, I'm just a hub cap guy.. Cool Buick whatever you decide...

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If it was mine it would have the correct small caps but since you asked wires or the wheels the wires look better in my opinion.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  8. robracer1

robracer1

The wires look the best the other wheels just don't look correct on a 4 door.

Automotive Stud and Just Gary like this.
  9. I want to see it without the white walls.

I'm digging the salt flats wheels most right now

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. belair

belair

I like the coke bottles. Looks tuff.

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO Buick is a wirewheel car

Just Gary likes this.
  12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Mags and large sidepipes, like "Cubik"

13. I don't care for the wires or the coke-bottles to be truthful. I REALLY like the deep Buick rims with their center caps. It's a great look IMHO.

Hnstray and Texas Webb like this.
  14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I played with chopping it a few inches but it looked better unchopped. Does look better with more meat on the back to compliment the rake though.
    buick2.jpg

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-8-20_4-59-50.png
    upload_2018-8-20_5-0-3.png
    Hello,

Back in 1952, our dad rolled up to our house in a big giant 4 door two toned, Buick sedan. It did not look like his old black 1949 4 door Roadmaster, but he was 1 year early in his 4 year plan to buy Buicks as they came out. He never explained, other than, he liked the new two toned version. Again, it was a big car. The two small brothers still had plenty of room in the back seat to mess around and store our stuff on trips.

(this Buick got stuck in a 2 foot deep ditch 150 miles south of the Baja/USA border on a fishing trip.)

My brother and I were into reading every car magazine we could get our hands on by this time. We liked the hot rods and early customs. We were trying to find out how to make our dad’s big Buick better looking. We immediately thought of chrome reversed rims, but my dad was not into customizing his daily driver.

In 1953, we took another route and show our mom pictures of the new 53 Buick Skylark that just came out and was in the local Buick dealer’s showroom floor. She immediately liked that car, including those custom Kelsey Hayes wire wheels. She kept the brochure as we walked around the beautiful car in the showroom display. We never had a convertible, but my mom fell in love with this Skylark.

My dad was looking, but declined to get the Skylark. His excuse was he just bought the 1953 two toned sedan and the Skylark was not under the 4 year plan for more Buick purchases. We all left, not happy.

Jnaki

Jump up to 1964 and we were finished with drag racing the 58 Impala and our thoughts were to do some changes as money would allow. My first thought was the car was fast enough, so some outside custom touches would put a cap on the look of this black sedan. A friend had a set of 5 Buick Skylark Wire Wheels for sale. The price was too good to pass up. I knew that I had to change over the axle bolts and pattern from stock (Chevy to Buick) to make these wires fit the Impala.

So, they were changed over and the chromed Buick wires were mounted, balanced and aligned to roll smoothly. Custom balancing was difficult as the wires had to be tightened down and the tires trued to make it roll correctly. As difficult as the makeover was, the car was beautiful with the new Buick Skylark Wire Wheels. I was very happy and the car made a huge hit at the local drive-in cruises.
    upload_2018-8-20_5-0-43.png upload_2018-8-20_5-0-56.png Thanks to HAMB’s “themoose” for the great make over on our old 58 Impala with the Buick Wire Wheels. We had no camera documentation from back in 1963-64.

So, the moral of the story was that these Buick Skylark wire wheels by Kelsey Hayes can and will make any car look its best. There was no other option for our Impala. But, to make your Buick look better, there is no other choice…IMHO. With your changes, it is a custom Buick, after all.

upload_2018-8-20_5-2-17.png upload_2018-8-20_5-2-30.png
    We recently saw a beautiful 53 Buick Skylark in Newport Beach and instantly brought those “wire wheels as custom memories” back in a rush. This was one beautiful Buick Skylark built for cruising So Cal in all of its glory. (Top down driving at its best.) At the time of the photos, it was one of those 85 degree days down by the beach.

HEY V: BUY THEM !!!
    upload_2018-8-20_5-13-56.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  16. Deuces

Deuces

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd put wire wheels, but I wouldn't put wire rims.

zzford likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

19. zzford

zzford

Of the two, the wires work better. I think it would look really outstanding with a set of cheap plastic hubcaps from Walmart.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. zzford

zzford

BINGO! It drives me up a tree when I hear someone (usually a younger type) refer to wheels as rims! To me (an admittedly old fart) they are WHEELS! The rim is the edge of the wheel, dammit! Do we have steering RIMS?

VANDENPLAS, upspirate and Hnstray like this.
  21. I think it would look better if it was a Pontiac..........
    and if it had 2 doors.........
    no posts, or better yet, no top..........
    and wasn't on a flatbed.
    :rolleyes:

But I had to vote for wires because the other choices weren't on the ballot. :oops:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Of the two, wires. The Americans are for competition type cars and don't suit a large 4 dr.

I'd wager www's with full wheel covers would also look good on the car.

Just Gary likes this.
  23. Thanks for all the advise
    Driving the car now and loving it so smooth enough power for me ( for now)
    Going to park it for the winter take care of some tranny leaks lower it and think about wheels
    I like the wire wheels suits the car
    But still on the fence

If I could find a set of steel wheels and caps I would be happy with that also

The 5x5 bolt pattern and big front hubs limits me somewhat

24. WIRE WHEELS

Buy the wires and hang on to them,you can always sell them later,nice ones don't come up every day.

There is also the option of having them powder coated. HRP

25. Wire rims sounds a bit sketchy to me. I would be sure the rims are solid material. The spokes can be made from wire:rolleyes:

Hnstray likes this.
  26. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

What color is the Buick convertible? I'm looking for a color for my A.

27. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

What color of red do you have on your Buick? Looks nice.

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think a nice set of gray Torque Thrust D’s would look :cool:

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We did not have a Buick Convertible, but a long line of Buick Sedans. The 1953 4 door sedan looked similar to this one: His mantra was every 4 years, it is time for a new car. The last one was a huge 1949 4 door Roadmaster. So, in 1953, he bought this two tone sedan.
    upload_2020-7-11_3-55-41.png
    When our dad took us to see the Buick Skylark Convertible when it came out, he liked the wire wheels. But, did not like the idea that he would be driving the convertible with its wind noise everyday and in storms. So, he waited until 1957 to buy a dark blue 2 door Roadmaster Sedan.
    1957 blue Buick 2 door Roadmaster

We did all we could to convince our dad to buy a set of Buick Skylark Wire Wheels for this new 1957 Buick. At least, he would be driving a mild custom as his daily driver. But, he was told of the balancing problems of the wire wheels.

Jnaki

My brother and I have always liked the Skylark Wire Wheels as an addition. In 1963-64, I had the whole front wheel pattern and rear axle bolt pattern re-drilled by Henry’s Machine Works in Long Beach on the 58 Impala. I had just purchased a 5 Buick Skylark wire wheels from a friend. No, they were not stolen or on the most wanted theft list. But, they did cause problems with balancing, leaks, alignment, etc. despite the cool looks.

upload_2020-7-11_5-36-39.png Thanks, @theMoose…

If you are looking for convertibles and Skylark Wire Wheels, here is a good example from So Cal.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...rods-and-customs.1149819/page-3#post-13105504

upload_2020-7-11_4-1-27.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wires, but you'll regret it in a year after you get tired of cleaning them and they start to rust. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.