Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration YOM license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 19, 2018.

1. There seems to be more & more DMV's allowing people to use year of manufacture license plates.

Does your State have the YOM license plate law & do you have one on your ride? HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Maryland allows it. I run 'em on every car I've owned.

19224773_10210703558848745_4446521995321151261_n.jpg 425326_147_full.jpg Picture 036.jpg

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They do but I will never run one on my truck as I think it is rather lame to build a 48 truck set to reflect the custom trends in the late 50's in the 2000+ era and put yom plates on it. If I had a 100 % restored to show room stock rig I'd do it without batting an eye though.

D-Russ, TagMan, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

<<<<< YOM's on this one. California tacks on a fee every year like that of personal plates (whats new). Can not do anything at AAA with these plates as far as renewal or transfer owner ship with them either.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. I wish they would allow you to run plates that match the era that your car appears. If so, I'd like to run mid to late 1950's plates.

6. XXL__

XXL__

Yes, and yes. But I've been pulled over by one local cop _two_ different times about the 'wrong' plates... first time I told him what the YOM program is, and he ran them to find they're current and paid up. Second time, when I told him _again_ what they are, he realized his error and "apologized" by telling me to "have a nice day." It'd be nice if there was a little more training rolled out when they hand out the guns and badges.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know Oregon does have it.

8. 5window

5window

Yes, but I don't participate. PA only runs rear plates, but I run YOM's on the front with no issues,yet.

Rick & Jan, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. I'm using 50's plates on my roadster since that was the era I was going for. Seems like it is up to the agent at the DMV you get. Coleman Coupe another story.:rolleyes:
    IMG_8364.JPG Fall 5 Window 002 (2).JPG

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've told this story before, but it probably bears repeating here. I found a nice set of 1951 plates for my car about 25 years ago. I went to the local DMV office, they put one of the plates in their copier and made a copy which they sent in with a form I filled in and signed. For the next 6 or 7 years a drove the car with the YOM plates. One day, I went to my mailbox, and there was an envelope containing a set of regular collector plates and a letter saying I had to quit using the YOM plates because the plate numbers had been re-issued. The one good thing about it that they didn't charge me for the change. Now that I think about it, this was well over 10 years ago, and the new plates they issued have probably expired. I probably should take the plates back to the DMV office and see if they're good now. BTW, I am in Minnesota.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I don't believe Wyoming allows YOM plates, but my native Ohio does.

12. XXL__

XXL__

Yeah, the one who follows the law and the one who doesn't. From CT DMV site--

Everyone has his own tolerance for risk. I'd be wary of driving with 'wrong year' plates around here. If a cop decided to ticket me, I doubt me pointing the finger at the DMV would mean anything to them. I've been in the middle of 2 government agencies having a turf war/rules dispute before, and guess who lost. Hint: neither agency.

13. Alabama allows it. I have them on all my old cars. I was told they have the same restrictions as a Vintage plate in that you can't make it a daily driver car.

14. I run one on my avatar... Not so much because of the 'matching year' thing but because Washington got away from their 'traditional' white/green or green/white plates they used for years and have gone to the semi-universal red/white/blue plates with graphics. The only raised lettering anymore is the plate numbers too, another lack from the vintage plates.

YOM plates here are one-and-done too; once you've purchased/registered them, no more annual renewals.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 56 Ford has them and so does my 39 Indian.

16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Ohio allows YOM plates but they are to be used only to take the car to be worked on or to and from car shows or cruise ins. I got stopped in my 65 Buick on a Monday by the local Barney Fife, lucky I was taking it to be serviced;)

3W JOHN likes this.
  17. We have a yom program here (up to 1980). So no more getting lucky and getting an old plate outside of the yom program and looking cool. 5 are part of the yom program and the other 3 being old plates but regular registration :).

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just an echo to some of those who follow the same thoughts on this subject.

YOM plates is the stupidest law going it should be Any Year Ya Wanna Run Plates...think about it you have a 32 Ford Circa 1957 build vintage but NO you can't run 57 plates but only 1932 where the heck is the logic. What the heck if the plate clears it really doesn't matter what year it goes on...its registered to that vehicle.

But I dunno someone thinks it matters...but for NO good reason. Big pet peeve of mine. If your running a spot on showroom original car the YES YOM works...correctly.

I would prefer 1962 plates on the Ole Hotrod as that's what I tell people it represents by period of look...YOM negates that. That's why I settled for a so called Vanity Plate.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They issue an okay and register your vintage plates then make new plates with that number...WTF...that would make one scratch right through yer heed...I hope you were a little pissed as you certainly were entitled.

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It is a great concession for old cars and more States should consider doing it.
    Be nice to get Titles easier as well...

3W JOHN, wackdaddy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Here are a couple of mine.

2934.JPG

1938 Buick , North Carolina had 2 plates in 1938, this is a set. 2935.JPG 1930 Ford A model.

The last is a 1964 Studebaker Avanti.

4043.JPG

22. I run a YOM on my 56 mainly because NY only had one plate in 56 therefore I am not required to run front plate. Hobo Jim

23. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Ct does allow YOM plates but aside from them having a form and a fee, they may or may not know how to handle it at DMV. On my case the clerk took my plate, photocopied it, handed me a set of vintage plates that I need to carry on the car, gave me back my plate with the photocopy attached to my registration paperwork after conferring with at least three other people behind the counter at DMV.

As an aside, when I bought the plate, I told Mrs Avater that it reminded me of her. A5ECE449-B3BF-4A51-B80F-D55E22D0E34C.jpeg

Bandit Billy, 3W JOHN, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  24. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Yes and yes from Missouri.

25. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

In Illinois you can run YOM as long as your vehicle is currently registered with Antique plates and you have to carry the antique plates with you when you display the YOM. The YOM plate is not in any way “registered” to the DMV. I always kept a printout of the law in case I was ever stopped (never was) to show those who didn’t know.

i.rant, 3W JOHN and pprather like this.
  26. BJR

BJR

Hay HRP.. Why the Iodine state? Is that where iodine comes from?

3W JOHN, czuch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Wisconsin NO, they are too busy trying to sell you one of their 50, yes you read that right, 50 other plates that they peddle on their DMV website.

28. BigEd

BigEd

Not allowed in NJ, but my 38 Chevy coupe is registered in MI with YOM plates.

29. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Must have a current registration & plate in the car. I use "Horseless Carriage" or "Antique". Saves on tax but can not be used as daily driver. IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0200.JPG 11182279_10153275092104839_2573963374066999304_n.jpg

3W JOHN and Bandit Billy like this.
  30. garage2small

garage2small