Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cool wheels for my 1959 Rambler wagon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Aug 18, 2018.

1. slim tempo

slim tempo

So now I am the proud owner of this 1959 Rambler Cross Country wagon. Rebuilt 196 c.i. engine, three speed on the tree. I put some Oldsmobile hubcaps on it for the present but am looking for some period aftermarket wheels. My friends are saying whitewalls and hubcaps. 017.JPG

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

I found some great looking 14" hubcaps from a Pacer (really). They had that 50's era Plymouth cone hubcap vibe to them and it would keep your car AMC. Hpoefully, someone can come up with a photo of them. It was a long time ago that I got this free Pacer that had high-centered on a manhole cover.

3. Local guy has a '62 that's lowered a bit with Astros or similar period mags and whitewalls, plus some lakes pipes. Looks pretty good that way.

4. 1964 Rambler Classic caps,WW and a slight altitude adjustment....

caps.jpg

5. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old slots. The chromed steel ones with thin whitewalls. Not "pinners", just standards. Maybe some ace could photoshop it.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  7. jazz1

jazz1

Rambler in the background had nice set of rims...looked good to me yesterday. Excuse the OT blue car

IMG_2476.JPG

Muttley likes this.
  8. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

The wheels on the OT car are Kelsey Hayes Stripper...I got a set like theses...

9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Where is the Rambler? All I see is a green Valiant wagon:confused:

Hnstray likes this.
  10. jazz1

jazz1

11. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Nice Rambler! I'd love driving that around...

12. Terrible80

Terrible80

I'm thinking the Olds caps and a thin whitewall and you're good to go.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Big and little TTOs or similar five spokes or aluminum slots, stance and/or altitude adjustment would be nice too:cool:

14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

14" Cragar S/S. They're plentiful, relatively inexpensive used, the chrome spokes can be painted
    if desired and look good on just about every car you see them on. PLEASE, though, no
    whitewalls with "mag" style rims.

A kool alternative to the mags would be red line tires, glossy black steel rims and any
    number of simple style dog dish hubcaps.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

You can't go wrong with Torque thrust.

16. Moose nailed it. HRP

themoose likes this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

15 inch black steelies, with 3/4" whitewalls, and chrome acorn lug nuts. I just saved you a bunch of money :) although I would rather have redlines, as mentioned above.

quick85 likes this.
  18. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

To the OP, great car. If you decide to go this route, I have some 14" SS style wheels I can hook you up with for a good price and I'm not too far from you. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. I don't know what bolt pattern a Rambler is but Chevy truck (S10 maybe?) rally wheels painted black with some older trim rings and either blank the Chevy logo or put a bullet on the center cap, is a good look.

My guess though is they're Ford pattern.

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

14s would be to small for those wheel wells in my opinion but thats only my .02, I would go 15 or bigger...unless thats a factory size and you are just looking for a more plane and simple look

21. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

3ACB0EE6-D32D-4C60-B16C-0E771FD63E1B.jpeg I vote for caddy caps and white walls

quick85 and 40FORDPU like this.
  22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

upload_2018-8-20_21-25-34.jpeg
    Photoshop these on? ....15 x7 or 8s

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, I'm kinda thinking the wheels on this blue "bucket-o-bolts and rust", would look pretty good on the Rambler, red line tires and all!!! I believe even the bolt pattern is the same, 4.5 on 5. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

If you are running 14" steel wheels how about 57 Plymouth "cones" or maybe 59 Pontiac spinners? For 15" I like 53 Olds,, 54-55 Olds with bullets or maybe even spun aluminum discs with black walls. If you go with "mag" wheels, dark centers are hard to beat on a car like yours IMO. Check out your front end real well, I seem to remember seeing a lot of Ranblers about that year along the road back in the day with a front wheel folded under it:eek:

25. 38Cents

38Cents

Cool ride! I think the plain steel US Wheel with baby moons and beauty rings would be very nice on the rambler.

I'm in a heated self-debate over those wheels powder coated fire engine red or satin black for my '60 studebaker. s-l640.jpg usw-51-5030_w_ml.jpg

clunker likes this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Red with baby moons and rings for the win! Maybe 3/4 inch white walls as well. Are those '80's era Olds wheel covers on them currently?

27. farna

farna

I hate to say I like the Olds covers better than the 63 Rambler covers! If they don't have "Oldsmobile" embossed on them I'd say keep them. My second choice is the red steel wheels with the narrow beauty ring and baby moons, and a 3/4" white wall would even look good on those. Need some black between the wheel and white wall IMHO. Wouldn't look bad with the wide whites though. If you want wheels and black tires (maybe white letter... narrow white wall would be okay) try to find some cast aluminum five slots. Those were popular and run on just about everything in the 60s. Had some on my little 63 American (which looks more like a 50s car...). Sorry for the "hotrodders.com" tag on the photo -- it's the only one I have handy.

28. My opinion is keep it simple. Close to stock size wheel and tire, no white letters or wide white walls. Narrow or even pinner white walls would look good. If you try to make it look like a hot rod it will look dorky.

29. paint the wheels. Use small Rambler center caps. caps.jpg

scotty t likes this.