Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 65 mustang steering in 36 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupeman36, Aug 18, 2018.

1. coupeman36

coupeman36

Does anybody remember what company made the adapter to put a 1965 Mustang steering box in a 1936 Ford or do you have one? thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. looking in a very old SAC (Specialized Auto Components) catalog i see bolt on mounts to install a mustang box to early Fords. part #SB603 for 1935-36 and part # SB604 for 1937-48

not much help, i believe they are out of business

3. bct

bct

pitman points the wrong way. does it not???

4. Kinda like putting socks on a rooster???Eh?

5. Pete and Jakes used to make one for a 32 Ford so maybe they are the ones.

6. No, not P&J. The A/deuce/34 setup was for side steer.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pitman points the right way. (if you set a '36 Ford steering box in a 'side-steer' mode, it would be 'pitman arm up', just like the Mustang.)
    Bear in mind the sector shaft length: Imagine your worm shaft entering at same height, but your new Mustang pitman arm being the lowest part of the 'undercar' stuff!
    Hate steering stuff to be below the 'scrub line'...

8. Why would you ever use a 50 year old steering gear?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. Being familiar with the configuration of the Mustang box after using several for 4 bar side steer set up; I'm trying to picture how one could be located properly for cross steer in a fat fender Ford.

@36-3window any pictures/drawings in that old SAC catalog.

A 525 box fits like it was made for these Fords; unless you are trying to avoid any GM stuff.

10. Jimmy is right, 50 years is not good. My suggestion would be to use one from a '37 Ford. This is not a joke, check them out and ask around.

Charlie Stephens

Rusk likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Solder is better ?:D

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

look at speedwaymotors.com

13. coupeman36

coupeman36

Thank you for the help 36-3Window all I was looking for was a little info.

14. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I used that adapter in my 36 ford truck. It was a bolt in and the mustang box or pitman arm did not have to be modified. I used the box that had a splined stub and adapted a GM tilt steering. That was in the 80s and it went many miles with no problems. I can not recall the company that made it, but SAC sounds right.

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Cross Steering = GM box Side Steering = Ford box I hate to use GM stuff in my Ford but it is what it is . Toyota pre 85 4x4 is a great box for side steering also , I have used it plenty of times with many miles to test it’s worthiness .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app