Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The right sound, choosing a muffler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellenthal, Aug 15, 2018.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

For maximum clearance look at the auger mufflers sold by Speedway. Just slide them in the pipe and tack weld them in place. Sound great, cheap price and weigh next to nothing.
    If you like the sound of an original small block Cobra with side pipes. They sound like that. If you want it quieter,then just put 2 in each pipe. Won't burn out like glass packs.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Trying to decide which mufflers I'm going to put on my 6o Pontiac Bubbletop and a .030 over389. Not up to Magnflows or Flowmaster 40's as they are just too loud. Its not easy to make a choice as you never know how they'll sound until you install them. Wan't something with a nice rumble but not the drone at highway speed.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is my 40 with porters

4. Stooge

Stooge

I used a pair of Porter steel packs on my last build, and I will be using them again on my current build. They just sound right. I've never been a fan of flowmasters, and have had had mixed results with magnaflows on off topic cars

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

What he said :)

This is my 49 Ford SBC....

bobss396 and Dan Hay like this.
  6. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

I’m running Spiral turbo baffles made in Seville Ohio . SBF and 2 1/2 pipes, have the classic HotRod sound and takes up no space . They are a little loud though.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Those Porters don't do it for me. Too much rap and sound tinny. Those Brockman Mellow Tones ar morse the sound I'm looking for. Thanks for posting.

Gary

8. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

upload_2018-8-18_8-20-34.jpeg View attachment 4004243
    I used the 4”x14” version of these on my OT pickup with a big block Chevy. It was no mufflers before and I was looking to just take the edge off. These did the trick, but the short versions are not quiet by any means. I’m very happy with the sound and performance, when I got them the box said “Made in USA” so that’s a plus. $40 each on Amazon with free shipping for a stainless USA made muffler. They’re a straight through steel pack design.

bobss396 likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If it's a straight through design, it's basically a glass pack type muffler. The difference being the amount and the type of sound deadening material.

10. krbstr

krbstr

What size pipe are you running? Manifolds or headers? Sounds sooo nice

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Cast manifolds, two inch exhaust all the way back

krbstr likes this.
  12. krbstr

krbstr

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app