Register now to get rid of these ads!

Retail store displays

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Moriarity, May 12, 2018.

1. Muttley

Muttley

That's the question I always have. I don't really wonder about the money aspect, plenty of people have crazy amounts of disposable income. But, even if you have more money than you can spend it doesn't mean that the stuff is there too spend it on. I'm constantly on the lookout for things like this and I never find anything.

drdave and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It is pretty simple really, go to every swap meet and flea market you can. Stop at every garage sale you see, go to every antique store and scour eBay for 25 years. Buy everything you think is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS, drdave, 302GMC and 7 others like this.
  3. IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2222.JPG Here is a can that I have had for twenty plus years. Also a picture my mother painted of the can onto a Coke menu board.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had this poor specimen a few years back.

M (1).JPG

Moriarity and chevy57dude like this.
  5. This sign hung in Gunter's Hardware store for many years, and remained with the building after the old man died and the store closed. I purchased the sign- a homemade affair from cardboard and wooden cutout letters. The sign was filthy dirty, and letters were warped and broken, and the backing had numerous tears. It got a full frame-off restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moriarity, williebill and Muttley like this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I followed this advice I'd need a whole freakin town!!

Moriarity likes this.
  7. The think that kept running through my mind as I scrolled this thread.

"Cheap Sunglasses" HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. The only thing I have is a Dr. Grabow pipe display card I pulled out of the trash at a old tobacco shop, I added my dad's old pipes. HRP 003.JPG

Speedys Garage and Moriarity like this.
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moriarity likes this.
  10. MyYearsWith Ford

MyYearsWith Ford

This is my 1955 Ford Dealer's Color Demonstrator. These were available for purchase by dealers to hang on their showroom walls. The pallet cost $12.95 and the cars were $10.95/dozen, or the entire package was $22.95.

Attached Files:

11. MyYearsWith Ford

MyYearsWith Ford

In the late 1980s Bob's Big Boy restaurants sold 4" action figures of the Big Boy at the check-out registers. There were four varieties of the Big Boy surfing, roller skating, playing baseball and driving a race car. This is a
    counter display showing the varieties available. Examples of each are attached with Velcro. While collecting the Big Boy toys, we covered more than thirty stores in the LA area, and this is the only counter display we found.
    Bob's Big Boy display.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  12. MyYearsWith Ford

MyYearsWith Ford

The unwritten rule of collecting is that you will rarely find the stuff you are looking for, but you will invariably find stuff you don't collect, but others do!

13. pumpman

pumpman

When I first started collecting displays they were pretty available, now not so much. IMG_1787.JPG IMG_1788.JPG IMG_1789.JPG IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1791.JPG

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Boy do those counter displays bring back some memories.The key chain and sunglasses type were seen everywhere from drug stores to movie snack bars to gas stations and even s a few car dealerships and just about anywhere else that you could think of.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. WiseRestorations

WiseRestorations

16. WiseRestorations

WiseRestorations

17. Tung Sol lightbulb countertop display.

Attached Files: