Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing tinting on rear glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watch this video. I did this on my last trans am that had tiniting over the defrost wires and a razor blade was not going to work. It's called the trash bag method and it works like magic.

tb33anda3rd, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  2. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

On an OT car that I had it had tinted windows that looked just like yours. I took a razor blade and cut the tint long ways about every 2 inches top to bottom and started spraying window cleaner on the cuts, the cleaner started little by little to loosen the film so I could scrape it off and then start on the glue. I agree with you, the car will look a lot better without the tint.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

When we moved to Virginia from Texas I had to remove limo tint from a complete OT car in order to register it in Virginia. Not that bad of a job using a scraper and windex. Probably took less the an hour to do the whole car.

Gary

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Do be aware that a new rubber gasket may not completely cover the area that the old one did, leading to paint work you might not want to do.

5. bigern007

bigern007

I took some off a jeep.

Peeled off the film. Removed the adhesive with. Ammonia on a rag.

Let it soften scrape it off with plastic filler spreader.

Lot easier than I expected. Body shop method.

Bigern

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  6. Cleaning and Old Gas Tank??? I've learned the hard way to man times. There is a much better cure and I just did it again 2 months ago. Tanks inc!!!! (not Dennis Carpenter) For $230.oo you get a Brand New bolt in stock replacement tank and never have another issue. You can't get a Rusty Dirty tank clean enough to end the Crud problem. Keep your Wife happy and don't end up on the side of the road with fuel issues. Just order a new tank, you'll never have another fuel delivery issue.
    The Wizzard

H380, RMONTY, ladyhrp and 4 others like this.
  7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I haven’t tried this on tint film, but I’ve used it on other adhesive backed films and when it works it’s like magic.

Go to WalMart and get a couple of cans of compressed air. They sell it as “duster” for computers and such. Stick the straw in the nozzle, flip the can upside down, and spray. Instead of gas, you’ll spray liquid that expands to a gas, and gets really cold while doing so. When this works, the cold freezes the glue, completely losing its hold on the plastic film, which pops right off.

You won’t be able to do a whole window at once. Start at an edge or corner, get it started, and keep spraying and peeling.

You’ll then have to deal with the glue separately. Find a solvent for it by experimentation, then scrape and scrub it off.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I came to the conclusion today that I need a new gas tank, the one I have is in very poor shape and seems weak at the bottom.

I've check out the tanks inc, Thanks. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  9. The Tanks inc tank is a direct install replacement. The Dennis Carpenter needed more adjustment than I thought was acceptable and returned it. First time I've had to do that.
    The Wizzard

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

Id take it to the local Auto Tint shop and ask them how much they would charge to remove it. Since they will have the products, tools, and knowledge to do it, I think they wouldn't charge too much. And, it would probably be a case of "having the pro do it" being cheaper and worth your time to not have to do it yourself. Doesn't hurt to ask.

11. ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

My OT daily driver came up north from Texas lightly tinted on all the windows. The aftermarket Texas tinted film, plus European safety glass, plus Polarized sunglasses make the clarity of vision out the rear window just awful. Like , detecting cop cars at twice the distance is easier in the rear view mirrors. Even without the sunglasses, just thru the tint by itself is pretty bad too. At night it is just plain brutal.

The defroster "wires" may be on the surface of the glass. It is hard to tell with the tint in place.

I'll start with a removal quote from a tint shop.

13. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

A big hammer should do the job.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I removed the tint from a OT car and the side windows were a breeze but the rear window was a pain in the ass. You're stuck in the back of the vehicle with little to no air movement so any chemicals sprayed on the window remains trapped at the rear and makes it hard to breath. And even though I was careful, I lost the rear window heat apparently severing a heating wire.
    I don't know why but the side window came off in large pieces while the rear window came off in postage stamp sizes.

HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  15. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

John,please don't put ideas in Danny's head.

16. This was my first thought also but did anyone else watch the video posted way back in post 10? Has anyone else tried it besides Bandit Billy in post 31?

17. When the time comes I am going to try it. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  18. Make sure to let us all know how well it works, or doesn't. Looks way too easy compared to how I've done it in the past.

19. It might be smoke and mirrors. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  20. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I’ve peeled tint off and used carb cleaner to get any residue off. It was easy. Maybe a different type of tint ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Have you seen this?

22. I haven't tried anything yet, getting the car running & driving is my main focus. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  23. ... but it might allow an easy shortcut to last option I suggested ;)

24. did the bare dry wall in the back ground drive any body else nuts? i could not work in that garage till i painted the walls.

ladyhrp, Hotrodmyk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

NO BROKEN GLASS, but if Danny decides to take it out that's fine.

TTR, HOTRODPRIMER and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. So does that mean some "strippers" might still be an option ? :rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. jazz1

jazz1

Heat gun, soapy water and razor blade. Last year my first time dealing with window tint. Had no idea how well this stuff bonds or if you want to install on curved windows that is a whole new skill.
    Hard to have much more fun than removing that tint from the rear of car. If its a option removing glass then remove tint.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This absolutely works! Ive done it with a razor blade and windex etc too before but the steam is easier beyond compare.
    I did use windex and a scrubby pad to clean some slight leftover residue off but this is the only way I would ever tackle removing tint again

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. AmishMike

AmishMike

Never tried on glass but used spray called “goop off” to remove glue worked great. Better test on glass first & always read directions

30. johnc451

johnc451

Check with an "old school" glass shop that still silvers mirrors and they will probably tell you that nothing cleans glass like ammonia. Easier with the glass out but that plastic sheet method will work also. Beware--the ammonia they use is not cut and a deep whiff will knock you on your ass. When you can stand though, the glass will be spotless.