Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2018 Bonneville pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMR&C, Aug 15, 2018.

1. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks to all for the photos. Snowman

loudbang and RMR&C like this.
  2. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Looks like Heaven on Earth !! Diesel Crosley is just way cool !!

loudbang and Jet96 like this.
  3. verde742

verde742

Thanks VERY much for the pictures....

Bet it makes you want to go home and wack ANOTHER 3 inches out of the top of yer sedan ? :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  4. The thought did cross my mind.......

5. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Makes me wonder if Man will destroy the Salt before the Salt destroys all Man's Rides that dare to tread!? Might be a close (SLOW) race.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

loudbang, Stogy, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'd like to see the dash in the Autocar ...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cadillac had exhaust like that...

3656696988_3a631e17b3_o.jpg

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Jet96 like this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, but that is a Ford. With a very small sprocket. I wonder about chain life on a deal like that

sidevalve8ba, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. yes....thanks to all for posting the coverage !

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Thanks for the great pictures!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Exhaust out the top on Ford flathead isn't anything new. John Bradley did it on his world's fastest flathead dragster, and Landy did it on Ron Main's 300MPH Flat Fire.

biggeorge, verde742 and Stogy like this.
  13. That's Bob Wright's Cad flathead powered roadster. I think what you think is a chain drive is actually the spark plug wires from the front mounted distributor. BobWright-1948.jpg

Mick

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that a huge looking ford flathead...even the heads look like those big wide Cad heads. Guys, what is the racing machine we are looking at? I guess @Jet96 took the pic.

Seeing a couple of pics of that Bob Wright Roadster was worth the guess even though it's not a Cad engine...fooled again...:oops:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  15. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

That's the only pic I got. I was intrigued by the engine orientation and chain drive. There was quite a crowd around so no other clear angles. I looked at a TON of cars, so I don't recall whose it was.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

rich, I used to race Mini-sprints on dirt ovals. these are chain driven with a motor cycle engine. 1200cc methanol injected full mod bike motors that ran at least 200hp to the rear wheels. we would run as low as a 12 tooth front sprocket with no issues other than wear from the clay tracks. More often though we were running 13-14 tooth. in 22 races we would run through a couple sprockets a season. these cars would run upwards of 100mph on bigger tracks. I would imagine the salt would be much easier on the chain drive given a constant load. we were loading and unloading them as well as large suspension movements/twisting. lots of guys ran tensioners to help as well.

the problem was never the sprockets, but good quality chain that is checked for wear often. tsubaki chain made locally to us was always preferred. non O-ringed so you don't lose power. wax instead of chain oil so it doesn't attract dirt (or salt)

my biggest concern with this flathead setup is what does the front chain guard look like! it needs to follow the sprocket closely and be very heavy duty. we ran one made of 1.5" thick or so aluminum. chains tended to break in the straight line horizontal to the ground. they would either spit out the back or try to get sucked into the front sprocket. the guard would guide them around so the chain would still come out the bottom/back of the car.

I would think the chain might be saving them some HP lost through a differential, while still allowing for quick gear changes. maybe something like a harley gearbox would be helpful though??

17. catdad49

catdad49

^Sidewinder^

biggeorge, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

yup, I've seen them in old drag cars. aka "the sidewinder" but never anything modern. after having run the minisprints I have wondered if this might work on the salt with a lower HP car like a flathead.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

little google work turns up that this is the bean bandits car. running in rear engine modified roadster classes with a 27 body. pretty cool

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I rode around on street bikes. Not much knowledge other than that. I do know Rick Yacoucci had lots of problems on the NT2 'Busa powered car. But he was running in the 350-360 range

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Nobey

Nobey

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    loudbang, Stogy, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  22. I apologize, I was talking about the Wright car and missed that everyone else was talking about the chain drive car posted earlier.
    It aint easy gettin old.

Mick

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm okay with it even being added just for looks...I can just see it now 6 pipes blue and 2 good as new. That some interesting trivia @Nobey .

That started with RevKevs flathead and pipes out the top curiosity and my assumption it was a Caddy mill...that's twice for me in the last couple of days...:eek:...getting old too...:D

24. Durbinspeedshop

Durbinspeedshop
    from Missouri

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Rick was running a little hotter than this flatty I bet! Not sure what kind of problems but when you push them there can be issues. Common one was 2 or 3 rod bearing had oiling issues. Make pretty windows in the case when you run 13-14k rpm for extended periods. Using stock oiling system can also suck all the oil out of the pan too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The engine seemed OK. The chains kept burning up. He tried several things to cool them and used the best he could find. Worked with in for a couple of years. i don't think he ever really solved that one. But it was plenty fast when it was working

27. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

28. CollegeKid

CollegeKid
    from Minnesota

loudbang and Marcia like this.
  29. Marcia

Marcia

Spend a lot of quarters at the car wash and pray for rain on the way home.

Sent from my SM-T377V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. kratebike

kratebike