Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 289/4 speed Falcon,what headers to use??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Aug 15, 2018.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

100_4094.JPG 1964 falcon 289/4 speed with original "Z" bar in use.. What headers will fit and clear the "Z" bar?? Going to update the exhaust system and want to throw on some headers.. Not looking for show, just function..Thanks for any help....

loudbang, Oilguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm sure someone with more Ford knowledge than me will answer this but I think that the Mustangs were built on a Falcon platform so Mustang headers should fit. But don't run out and buy them on my say-so.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I think a few companies make a Tri-Y (that also fits the Mustangs?) to fit your car as it is, stock z-bar and all.

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

My pal's dad just pulled a set of long tubes off in order to install some shorts on, I'll see if he recalls which brand he picked up.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Mustang Tri Y. Is the answer

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Nice 64 Falcon. My best friend (Mark) from high school (66-69), had a 64 Falcon Sprint. Car had been a drag car prior to winding up on a used car lot, that the lot sent into the body/paint shop for a re-paint, that Mark worked in doing the paint prep and taping. They painted the car competition yellow (think egg yolk), and Mark bought the car before they even finished painting it. Had a fork lift battery in the trunk, traction bars, Cobra valve covers on the mild build 289, Cobra cast steel scattershield, and headers, but I have no idea what brand headers they were. Mark was't very "mechanical", and I had to help him swap out the clutch. He put the shifter back in after I left, and flipped the transmission levers on the T-10 4 speed, so the "H" pattern was all messed up. Had to help him straighten that out too. We're still friends to this day, but live on opposite sides of the state. After he sold the car, it wound up with an I-beam axle under the front and a 455 Olds/TH400; someone really messed up a nice car! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. The Shelby GT350's came with Tri Y headers so they should work fine on your Falcon.

Deuces, loudbang and scrap metal 48 like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in high school/Jr. College I had I '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon with a built 289 and a 4 speed T-10 with factory clutch linkage. I installed Cragar brand headers cause they were cheaper than Hookers IIRC. What I do remember is that they were a bitch to install.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I had a set of 289 tri-y headers hanging in the garage for years .. Sold them at a swap meet for $25 cause I didn't think I'd have another 289.. Don't think I'll find another pair for $25....

Dino 64, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I built a 65 Falcon Sprint for my brother a few years back. I put Doug’s Tri Y’s on it. They worked well but were still a bit of a pain installing with the Z-bar. They were nice headers though.

11. I’ve researched this a lot..these 64/5 Falcons are a mystery...it’s not always hey it fits a mustang so it will work on a Falcon too...from what I’ve come up with Doug’s seem to be the ones the fit best. I was hoping somebody would try the $99.00 eBay stainless shorty’s would be an option..again I’ve heard the mustang guys are using them...maybe someone will chime in here and say they will...

Also wonder about the crites stuff

12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had a 64 Cyclone , 2 Dr Sedan . 289 HP 4 Speed . I had TriYs on it for a while . I grew tried of leaks fast , rusty tubes suck . Went back with stock HP manifolds , I really could not notice much difference , driving back and forth to work and a daily blast entering the XWay to get home . No leaks ever again , and easy to maintain

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You might want to look into the fox body mustang or 80s/90s truck shorty headers.

loudbang and scrap metal 48 like this.
  14. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I hate to question your post but I can tell you that all Cyclones were two door hardtops and none of them ever came with the high performance 289. (Except for the factory durability cars witch were Caliente’s not Cyclones) The 289hipo was available in a Comet in 1965.
    That’s my ‘64 Cyclone in my Aviator picture, I have owned it for 50 years.

loudbang likes this.
  15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Loveoftiki said; "I was hoping somebody would try the $99.00 eBay stainless shorty’s would be an option..again I’ve heard the mustang guys are using them...maybe someone will chime in here and say they will"...

I been looking at those headers and wondered the same thing.. For $100 it might be worth a try....

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  16. Thorley (or Doug Thorley) makes an excellent Tri-Y that will work on that car real well. Or Headmon makes a good long tube header that will also be a perfect fit as does hooker. Buy new it costs more but you don't have to guess if they are going to fit or not.

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  17. cbcafe

cbcafe

So mustang hipo manifolds used on the 271 hp 289 fit in your chassis? Were any mods required as falcons and comets are roughly an inch narrower between the shock towers than a mustang?

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m sorry for the misunderstanding , I did not buy the car new . As I was only 4 years old 1964, I just posted it had a HP in it . It also had a Top Loader , bellhousing was a 6 bolt so there is no way it was OEM . Again I’m sorry for the misunderstanding . I was just trying to point out headers were not the best answer for me . Maybe give it a few moments of thinking about a set of nice free flowing manifolds on a street driven car maybe not a bad idea . Again I’m sorry if I mislead anyone , I just know my car was a HP and top loader 4 sp which neither were in a 64 production Comet Sedan . It did have Cyclone Emblems on it and a strange screwed in sheet metal hump for the shifter . That had to be an OEM part . I was told that hump was Cyclone only . Also it had 9 inch axle housing in it which was never in a sedan Comet that I knew of . Who knows . It’s long gone , it was fun before I discovered FE powered 4 speed 67 Fairlane . Again I’m sorry , to not be so worthy on my thinking my Comet Sedan was a true blue oval Cyclone .

kabinenroller likes this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I changed out the automatic in my '65 wagon the pad under the carpet had markings for the large cut out needed to allow the shifter linkage to clear the floor. I purchase a factory tunnel cover for a '64 Merc Comet from the local Merc dealer to cover the hole for the shifter. Fit perfectly.

20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

No need for apologizes. I just wanted to correct your post so that down the line someone else would not be misinformed.
    It is very possible that someone installed a 9” in your Comet, a 57-59 Ford 9” bolts right in and looks factory correct. The trans tunnel part you mentioned is from any ‘64-65 Comet or Falcon with a V8 and a four speed, they are quite rare today.
    Big block Fairlanes (and Comets) are cool, I have never owned one only because I have had the ‘64 for so long.

21. Hey if anybody has one of those “bolt in” 9” rear emds laying around...I’m your guy! I’d love to replace the 8” in my 65 Falcon

22. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

If you can locate a bare housing and axles any center section with 28 spline axles will go right in. All the brake parts are available reproduction from quite a few sources, they are used in the street rod industry. (Drums, backing plates, etc.)
    Drive shaft and parking brake cables can be reused.

23. The hi-po manifolds will fit, but some judicious grinding on the drivers side manifold is needed. I've heard the repos don't need this, but YMMV...

As to headers, Dougs used to make Falcon/Comet specific headers that fit well but may not anymore. The Mustang ones can be a crapshoot as the 1" narrower engine bay in the Falcon/Comet can be the difference.

24. And I'll add that Delta Bay Mustang makes a '63-65 Falcon/Comet specific under-engine crossmember and strut tower brace that will improve handling by tying the engine tub together better.

25. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

I installed Dougs Headers (DOU-D660YS) in a 1965 Falcon, 289, 4-Speed Toploader. They make Falcon specific headers. The Z-Bar has to be removed and motor mounts disconnected. Engine needs to be raised a good 5" or so to get them in. They were still a very tight fit so expect to scratch them going in.

Have a look at "The Ford Falcon News" forum, aka. TFFN. They have dozens of threads about all sorts of Falcon headers with all sorts of configurations. Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

I ran Hedman headers on my 65 Comet convertible with a factory 4 speed. They fit, like most headers kind of tough to install . After they are on ,no issues to change plugs.

27. I have tried unsuccessfully to join that forum numerous times. I fill out the registration and can’t get passed the price of my of saying something is fillled out wrong

Ok can’t join from a mobile device...did it from my PC and good to go

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    loudbang and scrap metal 48 like this.
  28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Me too^^^ Me too.. I'd like to join some Falcon forums but I can't seem to get their question even on my PC (backwards ??)..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  29. cbcafe

cbcafe

30. 36brothers

36brothers

Tried 3 times from laptop, no go, why make it so difficult? Sheesh!
    Do you type the last question backwards? I tried both no luck.