Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How can i remove clear coat over spray off chrome grill?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doyle87fleetline48, Aug 7, 2018.

1. There's a whole thread about chrome polishing, from what I can work out steel wool is not real good (scratches), but I have just used Autosol on a grille, and it looks like it shines it up real nice. If it does scratch, my poor old buggered eyes can't see it, even with my glasses.

2. JZACK

JZACK

3. I couldnt ever bring my self to put steel wool on any kind of chrome, theres something fundamentally wrong with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas57 likes this.
  4. I dont think i could ever do it. I might try some home remedy and see how i go

5. thedapperone

thedapperone

The safest method for polishing chrome is a swirl remover like liquid ebony. Wash with Dawn first then clay to remove embedded dirt. Swirl remover will give the best shine without risking hitting the nickle.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Doyle87fleetline48 and Tim like this.
  6. I would give Acetone or Naphtha a try in an inconspicuous spot.
    Chappy

Doyle87fleetline48 likes this.
  7. Terrible80

Terrible80

If you don't like steel wool a scotchbrite pad might be better.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. DennieC

DennieC

Lacquer thinner will in no way harm the chrome or steel under it but if the clear coat is catalyzed enamel the thinner probably won't dissolve it either. Do not use any type of abrasive material as such as steel wool, kitchen cleanser, etc. Find a solvent that works but don't get on your paint.

9. I have had pretty good luck with removing old paint and such with a piece of hardwood cut on an angle and scrape the old paint off .

10. This is awsome ,got so many things to try thanx heaps guys for all your help. Much love frome Australia.

11. Acetone on a rag, lay it on the clear wait a few minutes and wipe.

12. Terrible80

Terrible80

Well, did you clean it off? Or does someone need to get on a plane?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas57 and Doyle87fleetline48 like this.
  14. Haha i appreciate the offer. Only get out into the garage on weekends . Will keep you all posted.

15. I use an old credit card and get off as much as I can!

16. kusdomh

kusdomh

i use 0000 steel wool and some polishing compound like 3Ms number 1

17. kusdomh

kusdomh

could also use alittle paint remover carefully mask and cover

18. You are overthinking this. That is aged very cured clear. Thinners will just wipe on and wipe off. They won't do much to the paint. Just get some hardware store stripper and take off the paint. A bit messy but have plenty of paper shop towels handy and it will come right off. ANY mechanical removal system will either take WAY too much arm work or will damage the surface. I used 'aircraft' stripper to take the factory gold powder coat off a set of '80 Trans Am honeycomb wheels, zero damage to the aluminum, coating bubbled up and wiped right off.

19. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I would be hesitant also with using steel wool. If it were mine I would mask off the painted areas off really good or remove the pieces from the truck and use paint stripper or oven cleaner, if the parking light lens are plastic, don't get any on them.

20. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Waiting patiently to hear how this comes out...

Paint stripper will work, but you might want to try oven cleaner first as it is less aggressive.

21. mutant55

mutant55

I fifth or sixth on the paint stripper, I have actually done it on one of my 55 Chevy grilles, works like a champ. If it's factory chrome there is a chance the whole thing has clear on it, my 55 grille did. I have also used oven cleaner to remove lettering on enamel paint jobs, believe it or not that works well too. Just my 2 cents.

22. Danscig

Danscig

MEK...get it at home depot. Put some on a rag and let er rip. It'll be clean in a jiffy and doesn't hurt chrome. Little chrome polish and good as new.

pitman and Doyle87fleetline48 like this.
  23. RussTee

RussTee

Yep paint stripper use it all the time on chrome never had a problem.

24. Thanx all for your help, i wont have a chance to get to her for a bit, but will definitely put pics up when i get to her. Thank you all

25. Mike

Mike

Acetone on a rag will remove overspray. It won't harm the chrome and it will evaporate almost completely leaving little or no residue.

26. Got some acetone onto the grille last night works great, very slow process,might take the grille out and soak a heap of rags in it and lay them over it. 20180824_211122.jpeg 20180824_212821.jpeg 20180824_213554.jpeg 20180824_213633.jpeg 20180824_220454.jpeg 20180824_220420.jpeg

Terrible80 likes this.
  27. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Good for you. As fast as acetone dries it probably won't be cost affective to soak parts in

28. glamb

glamb

29. Yeah thats a good point, ive got the paint stripper to try next ,it maybe faster.