Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special Is Ready for Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Aug 4, 2018.

1. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

One of the best threads I’ve read on here.... thanks for the ride!!!..... Mark

2. Great job, well done. Very few get exactly what they want the first year out. I have had two "first years" now and it is a lot of work even when you have done it before. My second year out with my truck was Great! The third year even better. Always a good time even when you have troubles. See you in 2019!

3. Thanks everyone for following its been my pleasure to bring you all along on this extroidinary journey. So many to thank for supporting this Project it would take a week to list them. I hope each of you know this could not have been possible without you. Not just from donations but the moral support as well.
    A very special thanks out to Randy Felton from Oklahoma City you got it started and this would not have happened with out you.

4. Though this weeks runs may be over. I feel the 640 XO/PP journey has just begun.

It may not be the ending we all had hoped for, but certainly better than this guy...

97F11FD1-01FA-48D8-B3E6-4428E57F58D6.jpeg

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes: The Gearheads Skull...;)...gotta be a story there.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better n better, every year! That's the Spirit!

7. oj

oj

Well done boys, 'you done the HAMB proud' I salute!

48fordnut, MP&C, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  8. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mullen and crew deserve our praise for simply "appearing" on the salt with a competitive vehicle, much less passing a rigid tech inspection, and the driver giving that great looking truck all he could. We can't ask for anything more. So, they didn't break a record, but they "went to school" this year and should be ready for the record breaker next year. Well done, fellas.

9. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Great job 640 crew, been a hoot following the built and the Bonneville test, I'm sure a lot was learned on you trip west. Be safe going home.

10. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

I enjoyed the ride along. Bonneville is unique and tricky. I made the trek out with TomT and the Bones in ‘13 and enjoyed every minute. You guys did great. You were participating. Not just looking. I hope to see you on salt next year.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Congratulations for a great effort.

What are the team's plans for the "Silly Season"? Dyno time? Other mods?
    Do you know any of the other current XO/PP teams and what their results were or their plans for next year?

dirty old man, MP&C and loudbang like this.
  12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Now ain`t that just a kick in the head.Ya done good for the first year,and everyone came home safe and sound.There`s always the years ahead for more attempts and fun and friendship.Thanks for the ride along.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang, dirty old man and MP&C like this.
  13. To the 640 Team:
    As soon as you are rested and recovered from your week on the salt, how about posting your thoughts on the event and what the plans for the future of #640 are. What did you learn? What would you do differently? Was it all worth it?

14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Just building the truck is excitement, let alone the trip to the Salt, then the runs, wow don't know if this heart could take it.
    Well done Racers.

Floater03 and loudbang like this.
  15. IMG_0121.JPG There's always next year. We go home from here a little smarter. I did a 94+ on my rookie run. The second run was 107+ at the 2-1/4 but for some reason #5 cylinder went lean and melted a hole in my Cyclone Aluminum head. Not sure yet what caused it. #1,2,3,6 were nice and rich. #4 was a little lean and # 5 was history. Packed up and left Tuesday.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think 107 for a flathead Ford six in a shoebox is pretty good indeed. Don't find many parts for that engine at Summit. I hope you start a thread to let us know what you find and what you do about it.

dwollam, mctim64, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  17. Great to meet you buddy! Sorry about your engine troubles - our effort ended similarly. We will see you next year!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having been looking for Flathead Ford 6 speed parts, that is one expensive head in the first place. Hope it can be fixed.

I'm sitting here listening to the last hour or so of Speedweek runs this year as it winds down.

19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Amodel, get some t shirts made and let us help you on a hard road to follow.
    Good on you. Thanks for sharing.

dirty old man, SquintBoy and loudbang like this.
  20. I had a great time with the team. Met some wonderful people at the event and made it home safe and sound.

Thanks to the Virginia HAMBers for the support and the Virginia HAMB Special Team for the chance of a lifetime!

21. First thing is to pull the engine down and fix it we will be replacing the 2 speed powerglide with ether a 200 r4 or a close ratio 4 speed trany.
    I feel the powerglide has to much drop from 1st to high. However I think it would have come close to the record on the pass we had to abort with engine problem on #4 cylinder . once that's fixed we will get in some Dyno time befor Bonneville 2019

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think you would have less parasitic power loss with a manual trans. That might be a subject for discussion on it's own though.

23. Yes it would have some parasitic drag over the 200r but I did like the direct coupler I used in the powerglide. I Just haven't had time to look at trany ratios yet . got some research to do for sure.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Whatever trans is used, it should be 1:1 ratio in top gear to avoid parasitic loss as in top gear the front input shaft is only spinning a cluster gear that is freewheeling and very lightly loaded with only the very slight friction of spinning it on it's needle bearings. That is of course if you elect to use a 4 speed.
    John, I'm very proud to know you and to have spent some time with you during the construction of your truck, and I think with a whole year to do the fine tuning and consider ways and means to overcome any obstacles that you found this year, next year that record's gonna fall.
    You and your crew, sponsors, and advisers have much to be proud of in this year's effort:):cool:

chryslerfan55 and fatkoop like this.
  25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used a wide ratio Saginaw 4 speed. My thought was that I could start from a dead stop with a low first gear than I could being pushed by my push truck. I had 4 gears so the drop wasn't so great that I couldn't recover. I really think I would not run weight in your truck unless you find you need it.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Liberty trans? maybe used there out there

loudbang likes this.
  27. Now that I have left Bonneville and Arived in Grants New Mexico and had a really good nights sleep. I have began reflecting back on everything we did I truly believe we were on the right track and I will talk about that in a few. But first I want to say what a fine job the crew did there. I am so very proud of them for takeing me in stride as I was pretty tough on them at times. My stress level at times were heavy but they were aware of that and took me to the next level reassuring me all would be ok. What a fine group to have with me on this great adventure. I can't find the words to describe my gratitude to them for there efforts. They were totally Awsome.
    I also want to thank OPTIMA Batterys for sending a film crew to shoot footage of the XO/PP 640 and for the interview with Dave Russell and myself about our adventure.
    Doug Dwyer was able to contact the engineering staff at K&N FILTERS and look at some data that was a factor in our speed search. Doug also called the rep from MSD/HOLLEY who was at Bonneville and he came to our pit and helped sort out what we determined might have been a fuel problem.
    I also want to comment on the staff from S.C.T.A as to how great they were working with us getting us through tech and Rookie orientation. These guys were so helpful and made this experience much easier. And then the would just show up at our pit to see if there was anything they could do to help out. Great job S.C.T.A we thank you.
    Now that I have came down from the clouds LOL I will begin reflecting on all we did and sort things out for the future.
    Once we all get back home we will begin the debriefing process and look at everyone's ideas and begin the next chapter in this great adventure. Stay tuned !!

28. Late to the game, but here are some pictures I took.

Dave chats up some Goodyear Tire reps.
    Optima Batteries film crew.
    Dave demonstrates his bail-out for the tech inspector
    When I first stepped onto the salt.

Attached Files:

dwollam, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  29. The idiot driver forgot to read the square orange mile markers and shut it down thinking he was at mile two when he was only at mile one.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  30. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We run a T-5 trans behind our 223's.
    In 2008 we did 109 in a 1953 Ford with a Craig's List motor pulled from a truck.