Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shrinker Not working: Upgrade tools or sent body to a pro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Aug 14, 2018.

Tags:
?
  1. Upgrade tooling

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. Farm out the work

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Yes, this type called stack or tuck shrink may be required.
    The shallower you go into the jaws of any shrink/stretch tool will increase shrink/stretch AT THE EDGE of the sheet and not extend much further.
    The deeper you go into the jaws increases the shrink/stretch zone but less shrink/stretch occurs.
    Cut a 4" wide blank and experiment to figure out what the tool will and won't do. Go deep and shallow.
    Notice how the metal thickens after shrinking and thins after stretching. There are limits to the amount of metal that can be moved with the sliding jaw type tools.
    There is no substitute for high quality tools.

2. alchemy

alchemy

I think your issue is that you won't get a tight shrink on a deep panel. It will only shrink what it can bite, and you have about 80% of the panel outside the jaws, holding the original shape. If you were to fold the edge over, the amount that will fit into the jaws, you will see it shrink a lot.

Try taking a strip of steel about an inch wide. Then shrink that. You will learn how the machine works. Give it time and practice.

sheesh and wackdaddy like this.
  3. Get a foot long piece of your metal about 1" wide and try shrinking one edge of it. Try only putting the metal about halfway into the jaws and see what happens. It should pull into a sweep. I think you are expecting the machine to do more than it is capable of.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. low down A

low down A

i bought a lancaster made in usa with foot operated stand kinda pricey but i like it, works very well. i to have tried to save money and bought EASTWOOD'S chinese junk and it's a waste of money the junk just barely work's with poor results.

5. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you were trying to edge shrink, but you have a 4 inch wide flat, there is your problem. You definitely need to shrink deeper into the panel to see resultant curve

6. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said take a piece of paper folder to your dimensions and try to get the curve. Where the folds are you’ll see where it needs to shrink. You will see that your folds overlap more on the outer edge then the inner indicating need for progressively more shrinking to the edge of the panel.

7. Something wrong with your tool. I have had a Harbor Freight Special for years and it works like the day I got it. Have to be careful not to shrink too much!

8. I purchased a Baileigh shrinker/stretcher, they are a hamb vendor and their equipment is second to none. HRP

9. Think I'm following better now. Starting to make sense. Think I may go ahead and order a higher end tool but yeah I'll definitely try out the paper idea after work. I remember a similar trick from a book with balsa wood strips to test a chassis design's rigidity.
    IMG_1444.JPG
    This was my first attempt at a rocker panel using my planishing hammer. Moves metal quick. Honestly think the planishing hammer is too advanced for me right now. Too quick. The second try is 4 inches longer and has a 1" flange at front and rear. I want to shrink the rear to get a smooth, controlled curve that matches the original quarter panel. I could then work the curve forward throughout the panel easier and smoother than free handing it. That's what I was thinking.

10. 48stude

48stude

How much pressure are you exerting on the handle? You may have to really crank down on the handle if you're just testing it's capabilities. I can see the stipling marks on your panel. If you were to bend a 1" x1" 90* angle and insert just 3/8 to 1/2 " . I would be curious to see how efficiently it would move that metal. Bill

11. InkedIMG_1444_LI (2).jpg I own the Lancaster shrinkers an have tried a couple of different manufactures Chinese made models and honestly I have found ZERO difference in the amount of metal they move. The serrations will probably have a longer life on the Lancasters but the performance of the tool to shrink should not be effected as they are really very simple machines when it boils down to it.
    If you are trying to get the flanged edge in your picture to curve like the red line by shrinking along the blue line you will never accomplish that with any of these style shrinkers no matter which ones you buy. You either need to use a hammer form to fold over the edge in a curve or you need to make that panel in two pieces one with the flange and then the rest.
    View attachment 4001407

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Reminds me of the old JA Pan Corp from when I was a kid. I get tired of Chinese quality bashing though. The companies that order the production specify the specs. Make it look good but make it cheap. The Chinese can make anything to any spec. Look how Japan is held in high esteem for their production capabilities today and reflect on what the world used to think. China is revving up. Next area for cheap labour will be Africa. By the way my Princess Auto shrinker strecters work great. Made in the same factory as all the others.

wackdaddy likes this.
  13. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

try using smaller pieces with a 3/4" 90 bent into them to get to know your tool. My HF cheapy IMG_1793.JPG shrinker makes small bends like this quite easily using 18g

48stude and john worden like this.
  14. This is the piece I intend to eventually turn into the rocker panel on the passenger side. The long flange is what's going to be shrink/stretched to match the quarter panel curvature.
    IMG_1582.JPG

15. I made this with the lancaster style HF shrinker.
    It's 6 pieces 19ga.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Watch the lazze videos.
    When he starts talking and pointing while saying the words "a little bit less and and a little bit less and a little bit less"" PAY attention to what he's trying to tell you.

When I did the ring of the head light bucket I took a 1/8" deep bite in the shrinker and made a pass, then I took a 1/4" deep bite made a pass, then I took a 3/8" deep bite and made a pass. At that point I had to stop and polish out the teeth marks. Then I took a 1/2 deep bit and made a pass, then 5/8 and then 3/4. Now I had to polish out the teeth marks again and really thin down the edge where it had 4,5,6 passes because it was too thick.

Thees is in tha shrinker, here is shrunk- and here is a Lil less and a lil less and a lil less and a lil less. Pay attention to his explanations.

wackdaddy likes this.
  16. Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    NashRodMan likes this.
  17. If you mean you are trying to get the long edge to bend in an arch shape you are not going to be able to do that with the amount of material you have. Shrinking the edge will cause the panel to start to roll lifting the two short ends off the table. It wont bend like this:
    InkedIMG_1582_LI.jpg

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

20. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

It is always very helpful if you are not using the shrinker or strecher put a piece of an Aluminium sheet between the jaws to protect the small teeth because when your friends are visiting you in your workshop they are normally playing with the tools.(That is the experience which I made with my friends)

21. Foot pedal
    Takes less less than 30 seconds to swap dies if I chain the Allen wrench to the tool. Lol it's very easy

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!