Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 26 COOP's Trip to the Salt....High Sodium Diet IV

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Irishjr, Aug 7, 2018.

1. 35pickup

35pickup

Great pixs Jim! I see you are getting inspiration for your Studebaker. I vote for you to chop yours and drop it on the salt! Then you have a reason to return again to Bonneville.

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Thanks for sharing your trip and pictures.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Dang it Jim, I kept watching for you but somehow never cut your trail haha. Great trip! Hopefully I'll catch you next time!

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  4. trollst

trollst

This whole post makes me ill, this was the year I was to go, but I talked myself out of it, 64, been wanting to go since I was a child. Keep telling myself next year, thanks for the travelog, I will go sooner than later.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. August 13

Last night we went to the Hop Up party at the bend in the road (the entrance road). We had a great time, They had a gas-powered marguerita machine that was running almost steadily! They had hot dogs and chips. Unfortunately, when we got there they only had chips left, which one also could add hot dog condiments. Not!

So I went up to the boss man and said I would make a hot dog run. OK. He gave me some money, although that was not necessary.

Dan Greenberg (photographer friend from Parker, CO) road shotgun to the Smith's grocery store in Wendover. I litterally buried him in dogs, buns, and condiments. Made it back pretty quickly, although Siler kinda wondered where his ride had gone.

That ran until it was pretty dark.

Long, fun day. Slept well.

So this morning, Siler and I were coming down the outdoor stairs from the rooms on the second floor and a lady sitting in a lawn chair asked us if we were "The Maryland Guys" that people were talking about. We guess so. From now on just call us
    THE MARYLAND GUYS.
    So we had breakfast at the Scottish Emporium (McD's) and made it out to the start end of the long course about 8:30. Having decided to set up the canopy and sit the day at the same spot, we lucked out as there was a space right at the start and we got some guys' help in setting it up by letting them share our shade.Boy that made for a nice day at the Salt.

DSC02280.JPG

The rest of the day is illustrated by the pics I'm again posting to let them tell their own stories:

DSC02237.JPG DSC02243.JPG DSC02249.JPG DSC02251.JPG DSC02253.JPG DSC02256.JPG DSC02259.JPG DSC02267.JPG DSC02279.JPG DSC02282.JPG DSC02288.JPG DSC02290.JPG
    DSC02250.JPG DSC02299.JPG DSC02300.JPG DSC02305.JPG DSC02310.JPG DSC02312.JPG DSC02314.JPG

I was told the Team Vesco's Turbinator II ran a one way record of about 464 today. A new record in the making for a turbine-powered streamliner and is in impound.

The frame of the canopy is still in the same place overnight.

Gonna be there tomorrow at sunrise to see if they can set the new record in its class.

See you at the Salt.

Jim Ireland, AKA Irish Jr.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    brEad, chriseakin, OL 55 and 19 others like this.
  6. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Great coverage and stories. Thank you really enjoyed it.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dan’s a good guy, glad he’s out there having fun with you guys :)

8. August 15

On the way back home to Ohio and Maryland.....

Well, folks. We arrived at the long course yesterday morning to find the frame of the canopy missing. Someone said the wind had come up and one frame was destroyed. Oh, well, at least I wouldn't have to repack the trailer. So we're standing around watching stuff in the cool morning sun (but soon to get quite warmer) and I spot the frame neatly folded and laying on the salt with the 4 lagbolts sitting on it as pretty as can be! I later heard that the race people had moved the course 150 feet to the south because of unsafe conditions near the start and another spot not too far away. So I got help in resetting it up and we spend the rest of the morning at that spot. Kool!

Back at the bonneville Inn, we had made friends with a group of bikers whose one friend was going through tech later in the morning with his first build for Bonneville. They called their group Salt Rat Racing.

20180814_090736.jpg

On the morning we left I took this pic with bellys in full bloom (Siler always had this ability to force his normally flat belly out, I had just forgotten about it)!

20180814_090349.jpg

So a few days previous, I had been talking to Siler about having breakfast at the Salt Flats Cafe, at the truckstop at the entrance road. So we walked in to find the restaurant empty. Later, when we had the car washed at the fire station by the girl scouts having a fundraiser, they told us about the moving of the Cafe. It turned out that the new owner of the truck stop wanted to raise their rent 4-fold. Instead, they bought another vacant restaurant in Wendover, and have had record-setting revenues and more local patronage. Good for them!!

Old place:

DSC02359.JPG

New place:

20180814_075806.jpg

So now we are heading back (with the canopy repacked). Been at the Great Salt Lake previously, but never went for the requisite swim.

DSC02364.JPG

So we changed into our suits in the Visitor Center at the Marina and did it:

DSC02368.JPG

What nobody said anything about, was the BILLIONS of brine flies. OMIGOD! They don't bite or anything, but they swarm unbelievably. Their carcasses are floating on the surface everywhere. But we did float like corks and can say: "Been there, done that!"

We got to Rawlins, WY after dark last night and will be somewhere in eastern Nebraska by tonight.

Leaving the salt for what was probably the last time was strange, but I've done that before.....(just kidding, Judy).

Later dudes and dudesses. I'll be writing more of the return drive soon.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    brEad, chriseakin, OL 55 and 21 others like this.
  9. Color me Green with envy. Thanks for taking us along, Jim. What a fabulous adventure!:)

Evan3, Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You two are livin the dream for a whole lot of us...SAFE HOME!

Evan3, Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  11. jchav62

jchav62

Safe travels!!! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. :)

loudbang, Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

What a great road trip thanks for taking us along, awesome pictures. Get home safe.

loudbang, Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

You definitely know how to live Jim and how to attend an event. It was great getting to hang out with you and meet Jim and go hot dog shopping. After seeing your setup on Monday, I kine of wish I stayed another day and would have hung out with you at the starting line. Have a great rest of the trip home.

jim snow, loudbang, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  14. HellsBells5

HellsBells5

15. HellsBells5

HellsBells5

Thanks for the "ride along" I am glad you two wore swim trunks this time!

Woogeroo, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You know you could probably take a right at Omaha and make it to the drags in time ;)

17. August 15

I was going to say something about the reuinon of the Big White Rat and the Little Brown Rat at the Great Salt Lake, but HellsBells5 beat me to the punch.:p

HELP! We're locked in a the McDonald's in Rawlins, Wyoming.:eek::eek::eek:

We had spent the earlier part of this morning changing the passenger side front tire to the spare to see if the balance or shake at high speeds will go away. The tire is visibly bouncing while the driver's side is rock steady. This occurs above about 65 mph and has acted this way since the getgo. So we had to re-pack the trailer, as well.

Then we went for breakfast at the Scottich restaurant. At the same time that we placed our order, we were informed that they were locking the doors for about 20 minutes. We got our order; mine was misunderstood (no egg or other stuff in the Egg McMuffins; and BAM!, the power went off. Turns out they are building a new McD's next door and needed to tie in the power.

What a way to start the day......

And then, when released from the temporary prison, we gassed up and headed east on the new tire. IT WAS WORSE!!

So we had to stop at the next exit with services and change back to the original tire.....and repack the trailer, as well.

On down the road, finally, we stopped in Ogallala, Nebraska at the library. My great grandmother was born in Ogallala and on an earlier trip there about 10 years ago, my wife and I purchased a Keith County Pictorial History book that had her graduating class picture from 1896. Her and her sister's first names were listed as "unknown". So I left a paper with the facts so someone could add it to the local records. I figured I'd better get it done, as this probably will be my last trip past Ogallala.

We just missed a rainstorm in Ogallala, but caught up with it near North Platt. Came down pretty hard and we saw 3 cars that must have hydroplaned off the road at one point.

Heading for Lincoln and another visit to the Speedway museum tomorrow. Then I am stopping in at a rear end rebuilder in Ames, Iowa to get an opinion whether the growling 9-inch will make it back home. They are building up a unit for me tomorrow that I can purchase if I need to (3.89:1 ratio and 28-spline). If I have to fix it there, I will see if the Fellow Pages has a connection for me in Ames. Better safe than sorry.

I took this picture this morning. When I park I swing it into two spaces so I can get out in the morning. I just think it looks cool....

DSC02369.JPG

Later, folks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Have fun at speedway! Insane museum and great crew across the parking lot!

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Irishjr do you have balance beads in your front wheels? There is no guarantee that they will kill the bounce but if it doesn't it may at least improve it. Your tires are Bias Ply similar size to mine. I left my weights on and have noticed a marked improvement at speed and actually the full range. I haven't tried weights off yet. They didn't have the removal tool so I am giving it a exploratory run before I try them off.

I put 4 ounces of Dyna Beads of which I have no affiliation in each tube on the front tires. I jacked up wheels free turn tire so valve is at 9 to 10 o'clock, remove valve, all air out, thread their accessory bead installer bottle tube on, push on firmly full bottle and squeeze away a little at a time...tedious yes but it will go in. I did have a piece of bailing wire to push just thru the filler tube and valve to make sure its clear if it seemed jammed...Once all the beads were in tube and bottle off just run wire through valve (just through) and run around to make sure valve core threads are clear. Thread core in and fill to say 26psi and do other side if you care to. 4 ounces of beads does one tire at $12.95 per 4 ounces and the filler kit was $6. They have special cores as well at about $2 each but he said he doesn't bother with those himself...up to you I went without so far so good. By the way they say its helps to add vibration to the valve stem while filling to aid in the little beads flowing. One of those cheapo ladies toys worked really good for that...:D...sshhhhh don't tell anyone...:p.

I suppose another option is you can take the wheel right off the car and do it laying on its side as well...did you have stick on weights that may have fallen off...just thinking out loud?

Anyways worth a try but I am surprised as you fellas drove all the way there and didn't seem to encounter this. worth a try in my books there should be suppliers of these all over the States. Some tire shops that carry these may do it for you at a reasonable cost but you fellas don't seem to mind getting your hands dirty...Good luck.

One more thing I told them I was putting them in antique car tire tubes so that will ensure you get the right type of bead.

upload_2018-8-16_2-0-5.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  20. Last I heard of Ogalala was in the Lonesome Dove saga. Wonder if great--grandma was there when the herd was pushed through.
    Interesting that the 'tar' decided to act out on the way home. Maybe too much salt or brine bugs.
    Really appreciate you taking us along for the ride. Happy trails.

21. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Later dudes and dudesses. I'll be writing more of the return drive soon.

Hey, don't let us down! This is just the kind of thread we love most and wait daily for progress reports. I'm starving here...………...

loudbang likes this.
  22. August 16

Not much to report today. We went to the Speedway museum and drove to Des Moines in preparation for stopping in Ames to get the rear end growl evaluated by someone who can let me know if the growl is going to be a problem for the rest of the return trip. (Sorry for the run-on sentence.)

I'll throw some pictures in here from the museum:

DSC02371.JPG DSC02373.JPG DSC02374.JPG DSC02375.JPG DSC02378.JPG DSC02379.JPG DSC02381.JPG DSC02382.JPG DSC02383.JPG DSC02385.JPG DSC02389.JPG DSC02390.JPG

I had been there before and was having problems with my camera, so these are the only pics I got. This museum is so much more. So many engines, race cars, historic cars, etc. If you haven't been there, put it on the list. It blows the mind of a gearhead.

One of readers from Colorado has asked out of curiosity "why the last time to the Salt?"

The Stones sang back when they were young:

Time is on my side, yes it is
    Time is on my side, yes it is

No it ain't. If I were to follow the rate of return again (3-6 years), chop, hemify, and finish 53 COOP (along with the other stuff I've been putting off around home), I may be too old.

DSC01642.JPG

Of course, the Stones are still rockin' after they first sang those lyrics.

Talk to you some more on the way back from the Salt....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    brEad, chriseakin, Floater03 and 10 others like this.
  23. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the great ride! You are a lucky and blessed man. Was the wind ever at your back in Wyoming?
    Happy trails and best of luck! Dan

jchav62 and loudbang like this.
  24. Wow - cooler than a talking dog - THANKS for sharing

25. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Bon retour a la maison et a la famille.

26. Thanks Jim for sharing! Cool to see the Posies ‘Extremeliner’. A friend of mine (Rich Shores) took part in the build when he worked there. He painted my 59 El Camino and 95 GMC pickup.

27. jchav62

jchav62

Awesome stuff!!!!

28. August 17

We arrived in Ames at Quick Performance (QuickPerformance.com) about 9:00 AM. The tech who was going to be evaluating the growl in the 9-inch rear met us with a newly built third member (3.89:1, 28-spline) to have ready for me to purchase if I needed it. I found them on eBay when I was searching just such units when I started worrying at Bonneville. I had contacted Brydon from there and arranged to have them help me by letting John ride and listen to the growl and my story. As it turned out, he felt that there was no worry, and it should be a safe bet to continue home. He also said that there really is no need to rebuild the unit, as the growl was not that severe.

While riding with me, he spotted the right front brake drum wobbling slightly. Maybe that is the problem with the tire bouncing on that sdie above about 68 mph. I will try to find out tomorrow or, worst case, wait until I get home.

So John said "riding in this made my day!"

So I told John "not having to buy a third member made my day!"

When we got back to their store (They specialize in Ford 9-inch rears for drag racing) and I wanted to buy a T-shirt. They GAVE me and Jim each a T-shirt! :D:D

DSC02395.JPG

Remember how I was talking about connections. Add another one!

Now I want to tell you about a real problem on 26 COOP:

Ever since we made the trip, the cowl vent gradually closes. It is either bouncing down, overriding the friction clutch I built to hold it open; or the aerodynamics of a Tall T windshield (even chopped only 1") force wind bouncing of the windshield to push on the top of the vent door and force it down.

The cowl vent is important in the refreshing airflow theough the cabin. We have put about 3800 miles on this car and have to reach down and re-open the cowl vent with frustrating regularity.:mad::mad:

Today we solved it::):)

DSC02393.JPG DSC02394.JPG

Tonight we are in Danville, Illinois. Judy's forbears came from Danville, so there are connections here. Tomorrow, if the weather holds in Columbus, I may be meeting Tom Lusch at a car show. Tom is a custom painter, former president of the former Rod-n-Tiques of Ohio (to which I belonged back in the stone age), and friend of many years. Tom was also one of the guys at the G&R last week.

Talk to you again, soon.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    brEad, chriseakin, Floater03 and 14 others like this.
  29. dwollam

dwollam

Enjoyed meeting you Jim at the car show at the Nugget. Nice guy with a really cool car!

Dave

30. 18n57

18n57

My hometown, Ames. Glad that Quick Performance people were so good to you. Spoke to you, briefly, on the salt. Sorry about your brother.....safe travels.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app