Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to price out a build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Aug 15, 2018.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey fellas,

So I’ll be the first to admit I don’t have any welding skills or knowledge of building a car however I would like to have something built to my liking.

My question is how do I price a build out so I know what I’m getting into. I’m looking to buy a 51 Merc and update the complete driveline with a 302/C4 combo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have some smart ass remark keep it to yourself please. I’m here to get an honest answer.

Thanks

Photo just for attention
    772C5724-B49D-43C9-BDBF-81D76F0B773D.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. If that's the project in the picture, looks like you're off to a good start. Nice lines. It's almost impossible to put a firm price on something like that, depends on your skill level and your network of friends. That motor and tranny combo could it be anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to 20 or $30,000. Then there's always an unforeseen things that come along the way. Somebody will have a lot more insight than me I'm sure.

3. Figuire what you think it will cost ...
    And triple it !!!

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

In my opinion, if you don't plan on doing a lot of the work yourself, then try to find something as close to what you are looking for that is already built. Then you can change what you want from there, but you will have a much better control over how much it will end up costing.

kmrumedy, Hnstray, BJR and 5 others like this.

5. Skilled labour not on the payroll will cost you 1000 bucks a week
    On the payroll 2000 bucks a week
    Plus materials and a helper ...

solo_909 likes this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Id suggest you explain exactly what you want in a car. Quality of materials, Type of drive train and suspension, Type of interior along with quality of parts?
    What work do you plan on subbing out?

solo_909 likes this.
  7. That is what I was going to say. ^^^^^ :D

I been doing this a long time and I still figure that if it is mine I am going to be at least 3 time what I originally figured. I can usually hit the mark on a customer car (although sometimes I eat some of my time) but I am always just between a 1/3 to 1/2 actual cost on my own stuff. I just never manage to follow my own guidelines.

That could be a real nice car it looks like someone loved it a little bit. If you will take my jaded advice do not pay someone to build it for you, accept the fact that the first rendition may be a little less than perfect and learn to do it yourself. You can always take the real original builders route and let it be a progression, build it then change it a bit then redoux it, multiple times as money and skill levels allow.

Tim, solo_909, Rex Stallion and 2 others like this.
  8. old sparks

old sparks

California hot rods, Sonora ca. excellent work and great price. a car like that needs good work . that is a lot of peoples dream car with an excellent start. like the man said figure what it will cost and triple it

solo_909 and porknbeaner like this.
  9. This would be what I would say to do. But if you would rather get a car built, there some pro builders on the HAMB try to see what they can do for you.

10. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Not sure we understand your question. Are you asking how much you will spend on a car building it yourself, or are you asking how much someone will charge you to build you a car? both of these have been somewhat answered. Either way, the maximum cost is limited by your wallet. You can spend as much as you can stand, whichever way you go.

porknbeaner likes this.
  11. Unless you know the builder or as mentioned it is a HAMB member (who has good feedback) plan on giving up a little butt too.

sound negative? I been around builders all my life (60+ years), I have earned the right to be a little negative. ;)

belair, solo_909 and Hollywood-East like this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't give advice to anyone who dislikes smart ass remarks.

13. I want some advice. Uh friends right? :D

Our problem my friend is that we both learned in the 20th century from real men who were a little rough around the edges, OK in my case real rough around the edges. They never took the time to teach us how to live in this touchy feely world that we have bee thrust into. But in my world you are golden my friend. *Freakin' be yourself, gawd knows I am damned sure going to be me. ;)

*I am trying to learn not to drop the F bomb even when I am being nice.

14. That formula works for the amount of time you think you can get it done in also.

Hnstray, wood remover and belair like this.
  15. A good friend of mine recently retired. He was a body/paint/sheet metal guy.
    People would bring him projects to work on (and he never had a shortage of work)
    He refused to give estimates for hot rod/custom/non insurance work. He said its gonna be what its gonna be...and these guys would stop by every month, check the progress, and drop off a check until it was done. And I am not trying to be a smart ass...just saying that there are a lot of unforeseen things in a build process (see the thread on here about the anniversary 32 sedan).
    If you take it to shop to have the body straightened, repaired and painted, you are probably looking at $80 per hour for the metal work guys and $40 an hour for the apprentice types to work on it. And I am not sure if you have priced out body shop supplies lately...or the price on a gallon of paint. But that adds up quick.
    And you haven't really said where you want your car to fall on the build spectrum... it is easy to close in on 6 figures on a build
    Here are a couple my buddy did before he retired...one is in a mag this month or next.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. I like the look of your car. The thing is with this affliction is the cost. I don`t drink ( thanks AA) smoke , (weed or tobacco) I choose not to play golf. So my time is spent working on my sorta old `64 Riviera. I swap labor on some things. Learned to weld ( really learned to grind) did all the bodywork and painted the car myself. the point of my rant is that if I had to to pay to have all my work done...I would be better with a different hobby, at least money wise . Just an opinion from a retired teenager

wood remover likes this.
  17. You are treading pretty light on shop time, it is over 100per here now.

That five six is nice.

You are totally correct on unforeseen. I have a friend that built a '56 hard top. He decided that it needed to be blasted, he knew he had to replace the floor boards before hand, what he didn't know was that after the fact all he was going to have was a roof. he took it to a good place to have it blasted, they do a lot of the local cars still but when it came home he ended up replacing nearly ever body panel.

I did the mods on his engine and rear end for cost, another friend built him a tranny the same way. He did all the rest himself and was still in over 10oK. But it was a show winner for sure.

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

giphy.gif Question, Answered....

reagen, 49ratfink, Hnstray and 9 others like this.
  19. Terrible80

Terrible80

See what's out there finished and/or partially completed projects. Most bang for your buck.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. solo_909

solo_909

So I guess what I would need to someone to weld in the mounts for the motor and trans and someone to wire the car and redo the fuel and brake lines. I can do everything else like changing bushings, doing the suspension, and brakes, etc.

21. solo_909

solo_909

Here’s the car I’m looking at. It has the look I want which doesn’t come too around often.

I did find another 51 Merc but it’s a four door that has been updated driveline wise just doesn’t have the look I want.

FB74A4F2-CFC9-45B6-89FD-24E8BAA4D293.jpeg 5C0775A5-2383-40CA-8FA9-7C5CD1F239A8.jpeg

22. evintho

evintho

Clean looking Merc! Are you planning to lower the roofline or leave it stock? A chop will add many $$ to the equation. Are you looking to just cut a check and have a show winner built or have it simply put together to be driven? If you're just looking for a driveline swap, rewire and plumbing the cost may be reasonable. A donor car is always and option too. '87-'93 Mustang? Also, where in NorCal are you? As 'old sparks' suggested, California Hot Rods may be an option...………….
    https://www.facebook.com/californiahotrods32/
    I'm not familiar with their work but in my experience anything east of the SF Bay Area and/or L.A. tends to have a slightly cheaper labor rate. Detail man, details!

23. 34Phil

34Phil

El Polacko did a Merc build on here and rusted rockers, etc. raised the cost. I'd get one running and worry about pretty down the road. Otherwise it may just take up garage space for a decade.

rc57 likes this.
  24. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Agree 100%.

Let's say you buy a fairly solid original car for a starting point, and find some magic guy who can do mechanical work, rust repair, body and paint, wiring, and upholstery work. This man is a really dedicated worker, and he can build just what you want in a first class manner in 6 months all by himself.

That's 1000 man hours. Let's say he's sorta in the middle price-wise at $80/hr. That's 80,000 bucks in labor alone. Add another $20K minimum for parts, chrome, and various other materials, and you're driving away in a $100K car that you'd be lucky to sell for $50K a couple days later.

To be clear, that's no slam against the majority of pro builders, nor an insinuation that they rip off their customers. Its just a fact of life when you set out to have anything custom built that doesn't have a wide appeal to society in general.

Hnstray and billsat like this.
  25. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Just keep adding zero’s behind your best guess cost as time goes by. Eventually it will stop and your estimation will be spot on! Enjoy the build.

26. First car I built was a $200 vw bug, I did the “ math” and for $3500 bucks in parts I would be driving...... 8 grand later I was done..... now it was complete , paint, chrome, interior , etc etc a show car basically.

Now as others have said whatever you figure on price at minimum double it.
    Buy the most complete car you can, and with the best body and frame/floors you can.
    Everything else can be fixed or repaired and your driving.
    A lot of money and time go into body and frame of rust and rot are present

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like your plan.. It shouldn't cost to much to have the engine and trans mounted and the brakes and suspension looked at and repaired.. I wouldn't go any further until you see if you like it.. Then you might want to get help and tackle some of the other updates yourself.. Good luck with you project Merc... And yeah, it looks good just the way it is...

solo_909 likes this.
  28. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Price out a completed car most like what you want. It will cost you A LOT more than that.

solo_909 likes this.
  29. Allan Perry

Allan Perry
    from Quanah Tx

If you decide to take it to a shop check out his past builds.Look the shop over is their half done stuff stuck in the corners of the shop with a inch of dust? Talk with past clients did he finish on time and in budget or did he give a line of excuses why it cost more. Start with 25% down and hold out the last 25% till the car is done. Go down there and see what they are doing and if they stop work on it get it OUT. Make a list with photos of parts you bring with it. many a guy has been screwed over by a guy or shop. I worked at one once , Jack would take the money and start on it till some one new came in then would start on theirs never finishing the first till they were screaming for the car. Do not go for the cheapest price that may soon go up.I recall a green mustang Mach 1 that the guy pulled out of the shop a shop newbie cut out masking paper on the back window of the sports roof mustang leaving razor blade marks on it.

morac41 and solo_909 like this.
  30. On my o/t I budgeted $10,000-12,000.
    I got a little carried away & ended up at $20,000+.
    My body & interior were in great shape & I spent almost nothing on these 2 items.
    This all started with me wanting to do a cam change & some headers, maybe a brake upgrade.
    It's like I couldn't stop, I literally looked like the little kid in the video above.
    Don't get me wrong I love my car & have accepted that it is the cost of my happiness.
    Unfortunately, the wife does not see it the same way.