Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another crash at car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oilguy, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Looks like he pulled all of'em.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The old "this could have been any one of us" line. A guy I worked with got caught for fourth offense drunken driving and used that line. I told him I couldn't get caught for fourth offense because if I got one drunken driving, I would quit driving if I had any alcohol. If I got two I would quit drinking completely. This guy got caught because he drove around drinking instead of going home and drinking there.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Sure hope the folks that got hurt recover from their injuries.

The sponsored "drifting" events now featured at many of the national
    car events/shows are also "an accident waiting to happen".

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. gasser57!

gasser57!

Not defending him. I just guess there are more saints than sinners on this thread because it appears no one else has ever goosed their car on anything other than a dragstrip. Did he show poor judgement, yes. Did he intend for those results to occur? Doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tfeverfred, swade41, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

His 'intentions' do not matter...his results do. The potential for 'unintended consequences' were plain to see.

6. In

It’s not the we are all innocent, or have never had poor judgement, but a short wheelbase car, big HP sticky tires..... possible alcohol .......c’mon !!! It’s a poor choice and stupidity at its finest.

At 21 I got pulled over after having a few beers, while waiting for another cruiser to show up I saw my life dissolving I front of me, going to loose my job as a mechanic, court fees ,no job big expenses, loose my apartment .... break my lease? Shit, a year not driving etc, etc,etc.
    I was very lucky and only got a 24 hour suspension, never had more then a beer if I’m driving since. A cab is cheap insurance to keeping my quality of life in check, never mind getting into an accident or hurting/killing someone.

Like I said, everything you do you have to weigh the consequences.
    I have a lot of customers at work who will question a large repair bill on brakes or steer axles on forklift. I simply tell them, worst case scenario someone dies, then , if this plays out this 2000,or 5000 dollar repair bill is small potatoes compared to what’s coming down the pipe. Same thing with this guy you chose to do this,so now unfortunately you will live with the consequences.

Shit, I decided to get married,but a house and have kids.......... the crosses we bare!

7. gasser57!

gasser57!

At 74 years old I'm sure you've had some close calls. Guess he just wasn't as lucky as you and unfortunately experienced unintended consequences.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. XXL__

XXL__

Then there's the guy like in another recent thread lashing out at anyone who thinks his plan to install a modern engine in his 90 year old car so it can run at speed on the road... without bothering to install front brakes on the car... thus swinging his fist at everyone else on the road without a care in the world where their noses might be.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

The real problem with the Shorty owner is there's "No Lifeguard In The Gene Pool". Building a Shorty tells you somethings wrong. Poor decisions possibly fueled by alcohol or low IQ.
    Damaged cars can be repaired. Damaged bodies not so much.

Gary

10. LAROKE

LAROKE

Ha! Is that where the term "short bus" came from?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Oh, I've certainly had 'unintended consequences'.....but fortunately no person was injured or worse in those instances.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately, most experience comes from poor judgement"

Ray

X-cpe, lothiandon1940, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  12. Ray I think where the problem lies is that people like you and me have been playing cars or motorcycles or both all of our lives. We had our chance to learn good judgment before we were too old enough to have enough money to make extremely serious mistakes. Hell I still don't have enough money to get in too deep. :oops:

My granddad who passed when I was 16 and I still miss told me once after I had done a real bonehead thing. Well that was a dumb thing to do. Of course he only knew it was dumb from experience. ;)

13. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Hey, about same age, same thing. Except with my older brother at the other 2 corners.
    1-2-3 jump- except the bastard stayed on the roof! RIP Bud.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think the courts consider that an "attractive nuisance". :D

chryslerfan55 and porknbeaner like this.
  15. Did ya land on your head?

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. More Money Than Brains Club member.

17. That would be too many dollars and not enough sense :D

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Are you insinuating something? :D HRP

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of us who are older can look back at auto or bike related things that we did and now tell our selves "that was really stupid". That said, the majority of the time the only person (s) who may have been at risk were ourselves and maybe the passenger who was along for the ride. We weren't showing off in the middle of a big crowd of people.
    That stunt may kill an event that has been going on for around 30 years and was looked forward to by car folks in that area who usually have to drive quite a ways to car events. Hope they will just post a no burnouts tolerated thing and continue.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've done some dandy's in my day. Nothing any testosterone fueled young buck most likely would have considered common place in that era. Luckily my actions never harmed another. Street raced? What about the guy in the other lane? Never did a burnout with someone else in the car? Made a top end run, solo only? Had a chick on the back of a bike and drug a peg? etc,etc.....But, I'd never be so brash as to declare that my actions never, ever, put someone else in harms way, as unintentional as it may have been. That'd be pretty damn impressive. Sorry, my halo ain't that shiney....:rolleyes:

21. Yes indeed many of us including me have done stupid stunts that could have ended badly and harmed others. However we where lucky. About thirty years ago my sons where young teens. the youngest had a 64 fairlane 289 four speed. and the eldest a 70 chevelle 327 powerglide. It was memorial day and I had to be in St Louis with the semi & lowboy first thing in the morning the next day. So I was driving the Fairlane drag racing my oldest son and he jumped me out of the hole due to me smoking the right rear tire. I caught up to him and he was doing 70 MPH in low and he attemped to shift to drive and went into reverse. Locked up the rear tires and went off the road sideways on two wheels. broke the engine mounts bent a front spindle but no injurys. We went to get the wrecker and the youngest had to blabb to momma. when we returned with the chevelle all of my road gear was piled up outside. Debbie stated get in that blankety blank truck and leave and don't ever come back. I stayed gone for two weeks. Usually when I was gone just a few days she treated me like a king upon returning home. So about 10 PM I backed the freightliner up into its hole. Started towards the house. The porch light came on and Debbie opened the door and growled what are you doing back? I just turned around went and crawled into the trucks sleeper.

Chris, dwollam, Hnstray and 1 other person like this.
  22. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

"...And I said, "yes sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie. I put that rubber on that road."
    Now, friends, there was only one of two things that Obie could've done at The Police Officer Station, and the first was that he could've given us a Medal for bein' so brave and honest on the telephone (which wasn't very Likely, and we didn't expect it), and the other thing was that he could've Bawled us out and told us never to be seen doing burnouts around in the Vicinity again, which is what we expected.
    But when we got to the Police Officer Station, there was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, Obie was an Kiwi Bogan with his own burnout pad. o.o"

"You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant
    Drive right in, burnout pads around the back
    Just a half a mile from the railroad track
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant"

23. Yep most of us learned to not keep doing the same stupid stunt and expecting a different result

trollst and Unkl Ian like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very true - any event that I was a part of, unless on private property, were required to have a minimal liability insurance policy at a value of of 1 million dollars before a permit would be issued by the City or County held in

trollst likes this.
  25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

We didn't jump off the roof, but we tried using umbrellas, off a hill. That didn't work either. One of my brothers was big for a while on bicycle ramps, hills, and now and then, bicycle ramps on fire. This was about the time Evel Knievel was popular. If there was a YouTube back then, the whole neighborhood would have been on it.

Hnstray, chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  26. Maybe he thought you were using your head.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jalopy Joker and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Someone said the Shorty driver joined the more money then brains club. I think he ment he joined The Shit For Brains Club.

Gary

28. I wish I was that young again!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.