Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950 Ford Club Coupe - my new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 1, 2018.

1. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

The
    The trim pulls the car together nicely.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Hi Lee :
    I like that also plus the wheels. The ones Moose posted needs those wheels.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Hey Danny, if you come up with a set of 15 inch steel wheels I have a set of 50 Ford Crestliner wheel cover that you might like. They are not cherry but they are pretty decent. I like the 5 spokes on those old Fords but you might get the urge for a change now and the. Back when I had a 55 F-100 as a daily(sorry it had a SBC 350/350 combo) I had and old set of Keystone 5 spokes, and when I ran steel wheels I would run Moon disc some times or maybe Olds Starfires and some times 55-56 Ford wheel covers. Funny how tires and wheels can make such a difference in a car- or truck.

dirty old man and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. A Washington blue? I would look at all the stock colors they had. The '49-'51 was a dignified car and should be painted as such. There was a maroon that looked good on it.

6. Lanny was the owner of the '50 coupe that made that lasting impression on me when I was a kid, his car was Maroon and it did look good.

It's going to be a while before paint will be a issue,for now just getting the car running & driving is my goal. HRP

7. Danny : Great shoebox project ya got going...
    BTW : While you're out hunting stuff ,keep your eye open for a '51-'54 steering column with A.T....I need one for the A project
    Thanks ,
    Stan

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I love the coupe.

9. 15"x 4 or 5 stock (I don't remember the width for sure). They did have 6.00x15s on them stock at least all of them I ever played with had that size before I met it.

A lot of the guys used to go to 14s on them when I was a kid. But I am a year or two younger than you are.

Neat car the coupe is hard to come by.

10. While working on the coupe we tested the alternator and found it was not charging, I ask Rene' about it and he doesn't remember having any charging problems in the past but I'm going to switch it out and avoid that problem in the future.

For some unknown reason whoever installed the engine thought it would be a good idea to install a remote oil filter but I am going to remove it and use a small oil filter in the original location.

That's about it for today. HRP

Mtn Goat, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  11. Make sure the short filter will fit before you throw the remote away. Either they did it for ease of maintenance reasons or there was no way to get it changed other than the remote.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. When changing the oil the adapter was removed from the engine and and a shorty oil filter was installed, ether the short oil filter wasn't considered or they had the remote on hand, I thought it was just a eye sore and a lot of extra hoses that were unnecessary under the hood.

In the process of changing the oil and removing the remote filter we poured some more gas through the carburetor and also ran some transmission fluid through the carb and it finally loosed up everything and is running slick as a button,no excessive noise and no popping back through the carburetor.

A single wire Chevy alternator took the place of the Fomoco alternator and I was able to do away with the Ford voltage regulator in the process.

I got the new gas tank from Shoebox Central this morning along with the mounting straps, I still need to run new gas lines and cut and fabricate a new piece of sheet metal for the trunk floor where it was cut out for the Moosetang gas tank.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully that first drive is just a few weeks away. HRP

13. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

Really enjoying this thread. Makes me wish I had a club coupe

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Shoebox" Fords came with 6.00X16 or 6.70X15 tires new. I can tell you from experience that 2.25R75X15's are one size too large for the rear on an unmodified car.

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gotta agree with tubman on the tire sizes, and I'm old enough to have been a teenager when the '50 was a new car.:eek: But I dunno about the max oversize. There are charts online comparing the old size designations with the new, and I have seen them on Tire Rack .com and in the Diamondback catalog.
    I'm glad you're planning on reinstalling the side trim, as I agree with the thought that it breaks up the current slab sided look. As for a paint color, take a look at the early '60s Pontiac Honduras maroon.
    Myself, I'm not a fan of spoked wheels, rake, or visors on the shoebox, but I do like them lowered and level or with a slight taildrag with skirts, and Caddy sombrero wheel covers on the front
    only as the lowered rear and skirts should put all but a small edge of the rear wheel behind the fender skirt. Depending on how much shows, you might want a simple trim ring on the rear wheel.
    But Danny, it's your car, and those are just my thoughts on what I'd do if it were mne. You should do it the way you want.
    And in closing, let me say that Moose and his expert photoshopping are a great service to the HAMB community:):cool:

catdad49, Mtn Goat and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Thanks Dave,we all have different ideas but the car has been rolling around in the back of my mind for some 50 odd years as far as the visual look goes and I never saw it with a visor or fender skirts.

Paint color is down the road and although Maroon is a nice color it's not a color I particularly care for, A beige, tan,putty or something like that, I'm stuck with white while I work & drive it like I did when I was a teenager. HRP

17. I have 205R75 x 15 with 3" lowering blocks. I have to deflate the tire or unbolt the bottom of the shock and let the rear end drop down to remove the tire/wheel.

HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  18. Today my pal Earl removed all the old gas lines and rerouted some of the excess electrical wires while I was at work.

The sending unit came in and tomorrow I need to pick up a piece of sheet metal to repair the floor in the trunk, it will eed to be trimmed and I'll take it to my
    Pal Dave's and run it through his bead roller to keep it from oil canning once it's in place.

Got the gas lines but they are waiting to be bent and installed, it seem the more that gets done the more needs to be done.

I still need to get the car up on a rack and remove the wheels and do some measuring where I can get some new wheels & tires, gotta do that before it goes for a test drive, the tires that are on the car are pretty sketchy.

Cranked it again today and it sounds pretty darn good.

Slow progress is better than no progress. HRP

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    waxhead, catdad49, Russ B and 5 others like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Progress is good!:D

BoilermakerDave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. I had planned on posting some photo's of the gaping hole in the trunk and the new gas tank but my camera up and died :mad: the images all look overexposed so I gotta get a new camera, I hate change after I get use to something. HRP

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

I used to take pictures with a digital camera until it crapped out. Now I use my I Phone 7 thats always with me and the picture quality is just as good as the digital camera.

Gary

22. Gary, I still have a steam powered phone, it's just good for talking,no picture taking. HRP

catdad49 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  23. I went by to see Rene' today and he was asking what I was doing on the '50 and I did a quick run down and then I told him I was going to order my wheels when I got back to the shop and he ask if I was buying them locally and I replied that I was going to order them from Summit and he stopped me mid sentence and said go out and get all the paper out of the glove compartment in my car because my son is not here.

I didn't know what he was up to but I thought it might have something to do with paper work from his doctor so I did what he ask.

I returned with a pile of paper work and envelopes and we continued the conversation while he thumbed through the paperwork and all of a sudden he says, "Here it is" and I say, "What?"

It's a hundred dollar gift certificate from Summit I got for my birthday in 2012 and it doesn't have a expiration and I don't have a use for it so take it and see if it's any good.

When I got back to the shop I called Summit and ordered the wheels and sure enough I got a hundred bucks off, then the guy told me Summit is having a anniversary and if I ordered 30 bucks more I would get another 5o bucks off my order if it totaled 5oo bucks or more before the gift card or the discount.

I was going to order a new quadrant & adjustable clutch cable for the wagon when we got back from Memphis but I went ahead and ordered it today.

Today I lucked out. :) HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  24. Danny, are those your new wheels? I thought you were talking about steelies, anyway, those are very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Great choice in wheels! :D:D:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I bounced back and forth, after I priced steel wheels and caps I was in just as deep as a nice set of wheel, the 5 spokes are my favorite mag wheel anyway so why not.

Gotta get them here and get some tires and the car is almost ready for a road test. HRP

warhorseracing and catdad49 like this.
  27. I like your wheel choice. I really like your car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Love those wheels, looking forward to seeing pics of her running down the road!

0NE BAD 51 MERC and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Speaking of Memphis:
    1. Glad you survived.
    2. Take any car pictures?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Bill, we will be leaving for the '54 Ford Club of America convention in Memphis the middle of next week, looking forward to going and I just got a new digital camera to replace the broken one, hopefully there will be a lot of interesting photos. HRP

seadog likes this.