Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Numbers on doors and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Jul 30, 2018.

1. She lives way back in Shin Bone Alley?

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inspired is allowed plain and simple...

Quoted Below from the Guidelines

"5. As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here."

I believe if it is a Hamber's vehicle there is no doubt it was never meant or built as a traditional gasser...But perhaps as a FUN representation yet you and others continue to attack inspired vehicles which again last time I read was completely acceptable in the Hamb Forum and further drive membership down the tubes through berating.

Perhaps you would like to redefine how the quidelines are written so perhaps a conversation with @Ryan through Questions and Suggestions is warranted as you and several others have a problem with inspired vehicles that clearly do not meet your guidelines but meet the Hamb's.

This is one very ugly thread as there is NO common ground.

@Gary Reynolds posting of a thread helps identify what is defined as a gasser but does not get to the core of this thread which is your problem with an inspired offering period.

That said a thread on traditional gasser lettering classifications is warranted and that will never ever guarantee letter perfect in the inspired land of gasser.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    05snopro440 likes this.

3. This is one very ugly thread as there is NO common ground.

@Gary Reynolds posting of a thread helps identify what is defined as a gasser but does not get to the core of this thread which is your problem with an inspired offering period.

That said a thread on traditional gasser lettering classifications is warranted and that will never ever guarantee letter perfect in the inspired land of gasser.

[/QUOTE]
    Uh, You can look at pics of real gassers and if you MUST paint numbers on your car, at least get it CLOSE, if not right. Why all the drama, OBVIOUSLY You and everyone can do whatever you please, nobody is disputing that.
    Thing is, you can actually quote the NHRA rule books and somebody will dispute them.
    I KNOW a gasser when I see one, and I seldom see one.
    Inspired by? Whatever that means? Guess it depends on what the meaning of the word "is' is.
    Why not put AA/FD on your 76 Buick station wagon? It's "inspired" by something.
    Tedious, I'm out of here.

4. She does.;)

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Forgive and forget. Hard to do, sometimes. But it makes life easier.

6. "in the inspired land of gasser." ????? That's pretty good. Can I buy some pot from you?

Dean Lowe likes this.
  7. Actually that is an old racer trick, you try and get more motor than your class allows. LOL

I have always thought it was kind of silly to paint up a street car like a race car, but it gets done. I think if it was a race car especially an old race car made street legal it is a different story but even at that if it were a D gas coupe it should still be running a D gas sized mill of it is going to say D/G on the flank.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is exactly the point here. It's been mentioned in this thread several times that a large percentage of the vehicles gracing the threads of the Hamb are in fact inspired visions and you clearly have a problem with just about any level of inspired gasser. That would be a streetworthy car which mimics a race car but really isn't.

Here is where I fit into this. My ride is an Inspired Hambworthy Traditional styled Hotrod...not letter perfect by any means.

With your type of ideology it shouldn't be allowed (or as you put it "Inspired Cars? Stop that shit.") to be here but through the guidelines it fits within the Hokey Ass Forum one of the 3 main forums.

One other thing...I have the utmost respect for The Hamb including it's Guidelines and the Membership who are staunch Traditionalists as they go all out to be what it was and for Members like me who skirt the traditional line not necessarily willingly but get a passing grade to be here.

05snopro440 likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a Traditional Hotrod Forum @Chili Phil and the my Ole Hotrod which looks old and Traditional was built in 2010 and for numerous reasons it is Inspired meaning it has components not typical of a Hotrod pre 65...yeah no numbers correct but unseen elements making it a Hotrod postable in the Inspired but Not fully Traditional Forum the Hokey Ass Message Board Forum...there are three main Forums

Yeah I could pretend or just post it as Traditional but I choose not to contrary to suggestion that we do whatever we want...I respect the membership and accept the guidelines.

What you must understand is when you say No to Accepted Inspired you are also saying No to my Inspired Hotrod...Inspired is Hotrod, Gasser, Dirt Track, Custom all exist here and are supposed to be built and talked about within the anything but letter perfect Traditional Forums the Hokey Ass Forum...it ain't rocket science either.

Here is another way of putting this. As much as I dislike some things they allow them here so as much as I dislike them I keep it to myself. I don't place something on a pedestal and call it shit when its allowed...but that's me we all have ways of going about dislikes here.

You fellas don't have a Traditional Gasser Forum here so that intermingles both Traditional and Inspired in the HAMB Forum technically.

I know you and many of the others know it and like it when you see it but not all are that serious and they are welcome here we have to accept the reality it's in the guidelines.

05snopro440, porknbeaner and BamaMav like this.
  10. Rich S.

Rich S.

The group of friends that I’ve hung out with for years. Make it a tradition to break each others balls if it looks or isn’t right. You end up with a better car or truck. I’m just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. dead horse.gif

Tally Ho guys.

Chili Phil and HunterYJ like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  13. At least we still have PorknBeaner!
    And US, of course.
    Too bad we don't have the old FNG designation anymore!
    Now, I have to go out and write SS/BA on my wifes Mazda's window with shoe polish.

Chili Phil likes this.
  14. Damn, when my mother passes, I was going to put her age and initials as a class designation (tongue in cheek thing)to honor everything she's done for me all my life. She's at 101 and counting, so don't know when I'll get it on the door. With all the foregoing-I'm still going to do it.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your car posted within a thread on Black Hotrods...
    Inspired or Traditional? Rich just a question. Remember your picking apart and berating an inspired class of vehicle which is acceptable here. What about your own?

IMG_0765.JPG

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...n-black-hot-rods.1099551/page-7#post-12544879

Rich S. likes this.
  16. I never post threads about my roadster pick up on the HAMB because it has 4 bar, a ZZ4 Chevy, MSD, radial whitewalls and a Demon carb. It's not a traditional car. It's pretty much the dreaded Street Rod. Doesn't belong here. Now, maybe if I painted a number on the door...

Rich S. likes this.
  17. PugetDude

PugetDude

I'm building my '32 roadster the way I want, not to satisfy the collective codger mentality that seems hell-bent on seeing this hobby die before they do.

05snopro440 likes this.
  18. Uh
    ...ok.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So it's taken 6 pages to decide some people like them and some people don't.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you truly feel painting a number on your OT ride makes or breaks a Hokey Ass Message Board Forum criteria as an Inspired Hotrod or Custom to post that's your call.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    05snopro440 likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's really not the impression I am getting...with again this reference:

Quoted from within by another member:

"I liked seeing class designations, until they became, "maybe his father's initials?". Inspired cars? Stop that shit."

Remember My Hotrod is Inspired...so think about it...It's not period perfect Traditional...it's Inspired get it...it's shit too...o_O...via your period spot on perfect or nothing description.

I do not agree with the premise of the thread. There are countless members with numbering and lettering for whatever reason and it is being classified as shit, gay and anything but what it truly is...an inspired vision allowable when meeting the guidelines set out by the JJ.

Gary
    The references about OT Mazdas and 76 Buick Station Wagons are unfounded as examples as the thread focused vehicles were a 57-59 Chev pickup and a Model A Roadster which were wrongfully targeted which are both in fact Hamb friendly. No one but you has mentioned or offered these Off Topics as candidates in discussion...that is perhaps just in poor humor as this thread as I have mentioned is a serious one ripping at the Membership and Guidelines put forth by the JJ.

So I will leave this membership/Guideline flogging thread which seemingly is at odds with the enjoyable side of what the Hamb and hobby represents and as I have suggested if you or any of the others fluent in Gasser Class designation by the numbers and letters and wording would start a thread specifically pertaining to them and how they are relevant to vehicle perhaps a more positive preservation and presentation of historic knowledge could be archived in perpetuity with a positive note minus the ignorance to those who may choose otherwise. There is by the guidelines accommodation for both and the Hamb is no lesser for that.

Redrodguy likes this.
  22. But they are funny.

23. urmm girl question. Whats D/G stand for?
    Never been to a drags(but keen to go) but i think they all look kinda cool.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Numbers have their place and it is on the windows of the cars that ran at the local drags. There were some late Saturday nights that had a lot of cars coming through the drive-in parking lots with numbers and classifications still on the windows. It was a proud designation to show everyone how involved they were prior to cruising around Bixby Knolls. No one had them on the doors or the actual car. It did not matter if you won a trophy or not, just the numbers had their proud meaning.

At the early drags, if the race/street class car was sponsored, then signage was put on according to how much sponsorship was given. But sponsors names started showing up on the big name cars as early as 1960-61. From around 1962-63 they were still running white window paint.
    upload_2018-8-14_3-52-37.png
    upload_2018-8-14_3-53-51.png upload_2018-8-14_3-53-29.png
    Even with the 257 on the door in gold leaf, the 1964-65 tech committee put on the famous white shoe polish numbers and class designation on the driver’s side window for I.D. purposes (B/Gas) at Lions Dragstrip.

A big donor would generate a big sign on the door. Middle donor, maybe it would be placed on the trunk or on the side of fenders. A small donor would get a sticker or name imprinted in the lower quarter panel, etc.

Most of the time, the inspection guys at the drags would not harm the body paint with their white shoe polish applicator. The windows were always the first choice. If there were no windows, the area best shown to the people in the tower was the place for class designations.

At Lions, the driver’s side window was a popular place to use the white shoe polish. The spotters could see it well from the tower. Upon coming back on the return road, the ladies down below the tower could spot the numbers and then hand out the timing slips.

Jnaki

Our finished Willys coupe was (plans were in motion) going to get sponsorship designation just in time for the Detroit Nationals in 1960. It was a Street legal C/Gas coupe. We were going to have one major sponsor, one ½ sponsorship and a couple of smaller participants. All were known names for giving big discounts or help on speed parts and daily supplies for running at the drags.

upload_2018-8-14_3-55-42.png upload_2018-8-14_3-55-54.png
    (80% on the doors, Reath Automotive 50% rear trunk lid, Howard Cam 10% stickers in the rear windows), The rest would be in small lettering on lower fender panel area, depending on what and how much help was given. (My brother laughed and wanted to put my dad’s name on the lower trunk lid as he was a silent, deep pocket, sponsor of sorts during this time.)
    Everyone has their own designations.

upload_2018-8-14_3-57-42.png upload_2018-8-14_3-57-56.png
    white shoe polish
    upload_2018-8-14_3-58-22.png upload_2018-8-14_3-58-33.png
    For some reason, our 40 Willys had the white shoe polish numbers applied on both windows during 1960 at one time or another.
    Of note:

upload_2018-8-14_3-59-34.png

Hello,
    Hope this clears things up. I used this classification chart on my post about chrome wheels on the drag race cars. "Silver Dollar Willys" from 1964.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pics-of-rods-with-chrome-steelies.1090043/page-4

Jnaki
    In 1960, our 671 SBC Willys coupe was classified, just B/Gas then with more weight added, C/Gas. The supercharged classes were not designated as yet. That came several years later. The 671 was just getting started in the Gas Coupe and Sedan classes. By the time more racers began using the 671, the "s" designation was necessary to equalize the cars and classes.

Our 671 SBC 40 Willys Coupe using a 292 CI SBC was an official C/Gas coupe in 1960. We would not have been in the AA class, but probably the C/GS or CC/Gas designation had we been able to continue racing. Unless we got a bigger motor.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

25. ^^^Thanks, Junji. This is well explained. History, not a wild guess. From someone who lived through it.

31hotrodguy, Rich S. and jnaki like this.
  26. We do like a good argument, uh discussion don't we. :D

I don't bother to read the entire thread 'cause I am lazy. I don't know how we got to traditional styled hot rods V traditional hotrods. But as far as any of that goes I am pretty damned opinionated, that said even when I got a car with history (which I do) I still make it mine. I am inclined to make my own history, well that and I am just not a restorer. I don't mind helping people build and understand the build on a totally trad car, I like helping people reach their goals. But Bean cars are just that hangin in the fringe. ;)

I would like to day something totally offensive, so cover your eyes now unless you are really tough. A lettered street car to me is like a sticker racer. :rolleyes: :p

OK back to your regularly scheduled programming.

@jnaki that was something that crossed my mind early on in the discussion one thing I may add is that the shoe polish designation on the quarter glass was not always on the driver side glass. It was always on the tower side of the car so it could vary from one strip to the next. Also on dedicated race cars it was normally permanent on both side of the car for that reason. On the old man's altered most years it was done in tape on the door, because some sanctioning bodies classed him different and he sometimes raced on non NHRA sanctioned tracks. For example NHRA he was classed A/GA but I recall there was one track he went to that classed him MS. So even dedicated race cars did not always get class designations lettered. I guess it just depended on if they were dedicated for an entire season to one sanctioning body. :D

27. Rich S.

Rich S.

Post it and what happens. As you can see it’s always great entertainment!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Red wheels and primer (or faux-tina) and you're golden. :D :D :D

29. The G stands for gas as in Gas Class (Gasser)

The D is the weight to cubic inch.

The lower in the alphabet the smaller the cubic inches and the heaver the car.
    A/G Light car large cubic inches
    D/G Heavy car smaller cubic inches

There is also SG or Super Changed Gas

KustomKreeps likes this.