Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lowering a 1953 F-100: dropped leaf spring choices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Aug 13, 2018.

1. I have a pretty original 1953 F100 pickup. I have a dropped axle for it and I want to also add dropped springs all the way around and get it as low as I can without frame modifications. Pretty strait forward, and I have been looking at springs online. There is Posie Spring, who offers 3" dropped springs. But I also found Mid 50's F-100's has their own 3" dropped springs and even "kits" with all you need to install the springs. I do like they also have springs to center the front wheels in the wheel well, something 53-56 F-100's have a problem with. But their springs are a bit more money then Posie's...nearly double. Has anyone had experience with lowering a truck via leaf springs and dropped axle? Has anyone used the mid 50's F-100 springs and how did you like them? I am prepared to put new lowered springs in it for ride and comfort, I know you can pull leafs out and such but my experience has been it's going to ride like a board.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

Make sure you have enough clearance between your oil pan and axle if you are using lowered springs.

3. Plenty of clearance there, these springs are made for these trucks, and mine is currently all stock

4. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’ve used Posies springs almost exclusively on all my builds. I have never been disappointed or unhappy with Ken’s quality. Both in ride and looks.

With that said I was once a dealer for Mid 50’s and their products are nice and the kits that come with everything you need sure makes it easy. Centering the wheels is a plus for sure.

In my opinion both companies sell a good product. You would need to decide what’s best for your needs.

As far as F100’s go. The only way to get them to sit right and have somewhat of a good ride is to do the dropped axle and springs with reversed eyes and messing around with taking out a leaf or two. You will also want to cut down the rubber snubber or replace with a flatter one. Try to avoid removing it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018

5. bergheger3

bergheger3

On my 53 I used a 3" drop axle up front and had St. Louis spring build me a spring pack for the front. I had them arched to drop the truck and also reversed the springs eyes ( it was at least a 3" drop).

In the rear I removed every other spring from the original spring pack and I moved the front rear spring hanger up to the top of the frame and flipped the hangers. I know you said you didn't want to modify the frame but knocking a few rivets out and drilling 4 holes isn't to bad.

302GMC likes this.