Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another crash at car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oilguy, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I'm not defending anybody… but let he who never did something stupid cast the first stone. You all did stupid things, right? Do all of you deserve handing over everything you own to someone else because of that?

People do stupid things, sometimes it ends up fine, sometimes it doesn't. Drop the pitchforks and torches, let the insurance cover the damage that was done to other peoples property, pray that the injured heal well, and let the justice system decide what to do with him.

2. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I think that Pontiac is smirking!

clem likes this.
  3. You and me both.

People wonder why I avoid car shows. They usually attract guys with little man syndrome and those guys just have to show off somehow.

4. Never really understood burnouts after I turned 18.
    Heck I could pull some fat black streaks down the road in my smogged out ‘80 camaro with its neck snapping 190 HP !!! Lol!!
    Shit even my 80 vw rabbit could lay rubber side stepping the clutch !!
    Then I had to buy tires for no other reason but stupidity, grew up a bit that day!

Watched a guy in a 68 dart beat the ever loving shit out of a guy doing a burn out on a bike at a show once, dropping the bike and missing the dart by 1/2a hair!!

Burn outs are done by burn outs, let’s face it.... getting the tires NOT to smoke on a built motor takes talent and skill, leaving your money on the ground in the form of rubber dust is stupid!

Guessing this guy is gonna be in a ton of shit, smashing his car and getting burned will be the least of his problems!!!

Read the article, possibly alcohol involved? Documented people saw him “ lifting his wheels”
    Yeah ,no bueno

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Folks, please leave the lawyering and legal hypotheses to the actual lawyers.

Legal aspects of the situation aside, I'd reiterate the sentiment that it only takes one mistake to ruin decades of goodwill earned by the classic car community. The tragedy in Tennessee in 2007 was only 11 years ago, and how soon the grave consequences of high horsepower not utilized responsibly and public streets can go out of mind. We should see from our overseas friends on the HAMB how difficult hot rodding and customizing can be when the government gets too hands on. That freedom we enjoy here in the states isn't absolute, and we as car enthusiasts should feel a responsibility to preserve it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Have to agree that we are pretty lucky here compared to other countries.

19Eddy30 and seb fontana like this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You're not from around here are ya? It doesn't work that way, not in the US. States differ in their requirements, but generally the mandatory liability insurance coverage minimums set by the state are laughably low and further, not indexed to inflation. What might have been a significant sum in the 1960s say, - $10,000 , isn't quite what it once was in terms of spending power. Property is one thing, but with any kind of personal injury even one day in the hospital will wipe out the policy completely.

54vicky likes this.
  8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

When I see stuff like this I always think of the guy who buys a hot car just to beat the crap out of it and when it does not respond as it should, takes it to a garage to have it repaired or adjusted.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah crap! I was just getting ready for a little laugh at an Oregon driver's expense when I noticed the Washington license plate on that POS. Rats on rats!

10. Yep The only people on the HAMB that are qualified to give legal advice are lawyers and felons.

I have noticed as of late that a lot of the shows are having burnout areas and in a long or those they actually tie your car or bike down.

Burnout have a place, on the track but even those are often an expression of your manhood or the lack there of. More often than not a major smoky burnout is not necessary at all a quick blip or two and you should have your tires cleaned off just fine.

All that said it is a shame that the "Old Man" screwed up. :rolleyes:

seb fontana likes this.
  11. Sure, I have done stupid things but they only endangered myself,not others.

At 10 years old jumping off the top of the house with a bed sheet thinking it would work like a parachute, the only person harmed was me.

12. LOL when I was a kid the only drivers that we thought were as bad as California drivers were Washington drivers. Seems like if you were on the north west coast you had to have web feet to drive. :D :D :D

Gary Reynolds and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Nope, I'm in Sweden. Basic vehicle liability insurance covers so much I can't remember ever hearing of it hitting the limit (a quick search says 300 million SEK, a bit over 30 million US dollars, but I'm not sure that is accurate), and the public health insurance covers most of the medical aspect meaning the liability insurance only has to pay for what isn't covered. Although the insurance company CAN take the responsible person to court for the money if the event was caused intentionally or by recklessness, but even so, the innocent people has been covered.

I like the US in general, but it seems there are plenty of ways to get f****d for life over there.

14. RmK57

RmK57

There's the reason I leave car shows early, although it's usually late model Mustangs and Camaros
    causing the carnage.

deadbeat and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. I have seen crowds wildly applauding some fool burning up his tires and smoking out the neighborhood. Why people encourage this stupidity is beyond me.

16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Attached Files:

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Says the guy with an avatar doing a burn out:cool:o_O:D

18. Speaking of stupidity, is it just me or does that thing look like some sort of clown car?
    s.jpg

Cosmo49, Blue One, 54vicky and 11 others like this.
  19. RmK57

RmK57

Not me, I just stole the image.

20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Definitely a Clown car!

Scooterville, Blue One and zzford like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yuck

Blue One and zzford like this.
  22. LOL not a burnout, its just a smoky old Ford. :D :D :D

Engine man, deadbeat, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Charged as would fit the situation though I would think wreckless endangerment could apply. Attempted murder would not apply as there was no intent of that and manslaughter, one peg down has no "attempted" attached to it. As far as his insurance I would think that doing burnouts isn't viewed as usual driving practise so his insurance company may pass on a settlement due to voided insurance. I hope the injured party heals completely and quickly. That car was ugly so at least there is that silver lining. Anyone going to call to see if it's still available? LOLS

zzford and Deuces like this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure about Oregon but Washington's mandatory minimum is 25 K and that won't cover much now. Amazingly I can get pretty high liability with the full coverage on my boat for pocket change compared with the higher rate on liability on the cars.
    The worries with cars like the one in the wreck is that it was trailered in and may not have insurance. Not normally street driven at least for any distance and in some cases may not have legit tags on them. Walking though a rat rod show down the road from the house a few weeks ago out of 20 or so rat rods ten of them didn't have plates but there were lots of trailers parked over in the corner.

Truck64 likes this.
  25. belair

belair

I bet the guy who owns the 57 Pontiac puckered up pretty tight.

54vicky and Thor1 like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm not above doing the occasional burnout for grins, and I don't think most here on the HAMB are either. The problem here is where, when and how this guy did it. It's pretty clear to even the most clueless that doing this at car shows, cruises, poker runs, etc are not cool, due to the damage that they do to the car scene with the local "do gooders" and folks with cases of chronic constipation. Inside of every local town councilman and mayor lives a frustrated monarch wanting to exercise his God given right to rule over the local serf's and peon's. "No Fun Allowed!" Every incident like this gives them ammo to initiate more legislation to control our dangerous hobby/sport/whatever it is.

Thor1, Speedwrench and woodsnwater like this.
  27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Exactly. The problem is, it's the victims who get f****d, and not the perpetrators. I'm not certain when it happened precisely but it's been Bizarro World for some time now with no signs of slowing down.

TagMan and G-son like this.
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

One of the pics in his ad says, " It ain't a toy if you don't play with it." I sure as hell don't consider my vehicles toys. Is this guy 53, 5, or 3?

Thor1 likes this.
  29. A moron in a clown car and not enough police presence...

The Billetproof show in Centralia has a Saturday night cruise and the LEOs are thick as flies. Do something stupid and they'll impound your car; I heard there was even one arrest this year at gunpoint. And the problem wasn't the show participants, it was the local morons that crashed the party to play with the 'cool kids'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.