Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 26 COOP's Trip to the Salt....High Sodium Diet IV

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Irishjr, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds like it’s going well :)

loudbang likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What an adventure. Sounds like you’re having a great trip.
    Good to follow along. :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

Jim, it was nice to meet you and chat tonight at the Nugget. Glad ya made it!

Really nice job on the '26.

Dave Wollam

loudbang likes this.
  4. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Hi Jim, followed your progress building the car and saw you at the Nugget tonight. I was going to say hello but you were busy chatting so I decided I would say hello a little later. Decided to catch up on what you had posted and I saw that you were at the G&R which is about 30 miles from my house and you had taken a picture with my car club president Tom Lusch. Small world and bye the way the car turned out great.

Floater03 and loudbang like this.
  5. August 10

The goal was to be in Wendover before 5:00 PM today. WE BEAT IT BY A HALF HOUR!!

The heat across Utah was intense. Above 100 degrees and the water was really flowing onto our do-rags to cool our heads. Evaporative cooling really works in the dry heat in a way that just doesn’t do it in the humid heat of the east coast.

We did make a stop at mile 10 on I-80 to take a first walk on the Salt. I am told that the infection caused by walking barefoot on Bonneville salt is the start of a disease called SALT FEVER…….we’ll see.

DSC02129.JPG

And speaking of Jim Siler……

I am told that the statute of limitations has run out on the misdemeanor perpetrated by a 13-year-year-old punk in Marion in about 1961. It seems that Jim and three buddies (of similar ill-repute) brewed up a plan to take a horse for a last ride as an “act of kindness”. Back in Marion, Ohio, where Jim grew up, there was a dog-food factory where old horses were slaughtered for the canning of the dog food. Someone in the Gang of Four managed to get a key to the corral where approximately 150 horses were kept. They worked out a plan to use ropes on the gate, manned by three gang members, while the fourth brought a horse out, thus culling that one horse from the herd.

Unfortunately, the horses had another idea….You can see where this is going, can’t you?

About 150 horses escaped. Some just hung around outside the gate. Some went for strolls, trots, or runs around the city of Marion, along the railroad tracks, or through the back alleys. Some were never seen again…a full escape.

Somehow the police knew exactly who the gang members were and where they lived.

Somehow the gang of four members stuck to their plan to deny having been with one another that evening…….so it worked. Until this day. Now you all know the truth and, as Paul Harvey used to say….”That’s the end of the story”.

The story made the Marion Star about this crime, but stated that the police were unable to identify the perpetrators.

Next, as a longtime member of the NSRA, I will admit that the only time I went to the Nats, was when they were held in Columbus, about 40 miles from my home. During one of those events back in the 1980’s, I took Jim along with me and 40 COOP on a very hot day. When we got back to Jim’s house in Delaware County, we walked back by his secluded rustic cabin and one-acre pond on the back forty. You can see where this is going, can’t you?

It was hot, we were bushed, and we didn’t have do-rags to wet down……..so these two grown men (the sales manager and the chief engineer) went skinny dipping to cool down.

Later, my wife described her vision of us two…”THE BIG WHITE RAT AND THE LITTLE BROWN RAT”

That vision still gets laughs to this day.

I could go on with more stories about my buddy Jim Siler, but I think you get the idea.

Of course there’s always the story about putting composted municipal solid waste in his chewing tobacco pouch…..Naw, better not……

Tonight, after washing a few million bugs off 26 COOP, we are going to the car show at the Nugget.

Then tomorrow morning, after replacing the missing wheel bearing on TRAILER (yep, that’s the vanity plate on the trailer) we will venture out to the speedway. People are describing the salt as “really good”. I’ll let you know.

From the Bonneville Inn, in Wendover, Utah, I will close by saying…

See you at the Salt.

Jim Ireland, AKA Irish Jr.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  6. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Great Story Jim !
    I would be glad to ride shotgun with you anytime ! Have a safe trip on the way home.
    Dave

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Thanks for bringing us along on your adventure!

8. August 11

This morning was not a smooth part of the adventure. We worked on the trailer bearings until about 2:00 PM. Long story short, the bearings were 1-1/16” ID and the bearing kits at the auto parts store were 1” ID. The destruction of the existing bearings left the remains soundly attached to the spindles. After several trips to the auto parts store, hardware store and grocery store (to replenish lunch supplies). We were to identify the correct bearings and seals. They had two of the bearings and no seals. Parts were ordered to make us whole, but for now, we are operating without the seal on one side. The parts, including spare bearings, will be in Wendover on Tuesday.

Just part of the journey, folks……

DSC02131.JPG

But things improved this afternoon.

26 COOP, with TRAILER in tow, arrived at the Bonneville Speedway around 2:30. Jim was impressed by how far we had to drive to get to the race area: only about 3 miles to Exit 4 on I-80, about 4 miles on the entrance road, then onto the salt for about 7 miles to the pits.

As a member of the Southern California Timing Association (SCTA), I have driving access through the pits, so we started by making a pass through the pits (5 mph speed limit), which are about 2 miles long…you do the math. Near the far end, we spotted a group of old-school hot rods with the owners, members of the Denver Car Club, sitting under canopies, enjoying a good view of the long course. We joined them….

The rest of the afternoon, until 5:00, was spent in good fun and conversation.

DSC02132.JPG DSC02135.JPG
    Speed Week 2018 Sony-0010.jpg
    Part of the fun began when two of the Denver CC returned to the area from going outside of the pits in the old roundy-round race car to an area of damp salt….sun glasses and faces covered in salt. Let’s just say that Siler and I were encouraged to take it out for a spin, as well.

First off was just figuring out how to get in to the cockpit of the jalopy ’36 Ford….”Hey, old man! You gotta climb in through the roof!”

With me driving, off we went…..Whoopee!!! (Later, at the Nugget car show, I wore the salt on my face as a special badge).

Speed Week 2018 Sony-0020.jpg Speed Week 2018 Sony-0029.jpg Speed Week 2018 Sony-0030.jpg Speed Week 2018 Sony-0031.jpg Speed Week 2018 Sony-0033.jpg

The requisite picture at the sign:

DSC02139.JPG

26 COOP and Trailer joined the Denver CC and the throng for a good evening of car (and other) doings at the Nugget that I will let the pictures serve to tell the story….

View attachment 3997415 DSC02141.JPG DSC02142.JPG DSC02145.JPG DSC02143.JPG DSC02144.JPG DSC02146.JPG DSC02149.JPG DSC02150.JPG DSC02154.JPG DSC02155.JPG
    Then a pinstriper named Caddy asked if he could pinstripe a purse on my trailer. What I was going to tell Judy about a purse pinstriped on my trailer (and how it got there), I had no idea. But in actuality, he just wanted to use the top of the trailer to pinstripe a purse for a lady customer. Sometimes the OLD GUY is a little dense!

DSC02156.JPG DSC02158.JPG

Well, Jim and I are getting up at 5:00 AM to go out to the Salt to see Danny Thompson, the late Mickey Thompson’s son, make an attempt at a record in the resurrected Challenger streamliner. We heard that he had run about 446 mph yesterday and the car was in impound, in preparation for a record-confirming run.

We’ll see if he makes it. Everyone wishes him well.

Talk to you again, soon……

See you at the Salt.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  9. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The party never ends and good on you!

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

11. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. It looks a like a lot more people there then when I was there. Safe travels. Snowman

pprather and loudbang like this.
  12. That's awesome Jim! Maybe I can swing by your place sometime after you get back, and take some photos for my Mid-Atlantic Rodders & Customs Facebook group.

13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I love road trip threads and yours as we used to say has me “eating my heart out”
    I’m with you every mile, enjoy,make memories, and be safe.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jim...Excellent belated report on that Siler gang and the rustlin' of them hosses!
    Finally, the truth comes out.:eek:

I'll go again, but when I'm younger... :rolleyes: Thanks for takin' us along...

15. Danny Thompson two way average of 448.757, congrats on the new record.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  16. I saw you ride by today but didn't get a chance to catch you

Maybe tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just yell “hey sexy!” Next time he drives by. I’m sure he’ll turn his head lol

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. Just snapped my neck. Someone yelled "Hey Sexy". Knew that nobody would be calling me that way, but I wanted to see whom they were shouting to........

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha, works every time.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. I've been to Bonneville many times and as far as I know doing donuts in the wet salt has always been frowned on, whether you're a member of SCTA or not,

Mick

loudbang likes this.
  21. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a fantastic adventure !!!

loudbang likes this.
  22. August 12

Hello again, folks.

First, I would like to say something about acquaintances and friendships which develop over the years. Sometimes one sees a person once in a blue moon, and we reconnect. Being as I am, not good at remembering names or faces (but I can remember a person’s car!), I really appreciate assistance at reconnecting when someone approaches me. Boy, it’s been happening in spades. A lot of people approach me from past connections. Very gratifying.

And Judy would now interject “ and another person to tell stories to”. Guilty as charged.

While our car hobby stuff seems to be comprised of a lot of people, it is amazing how many times we come together through coincidental connections. It makes it a small sphere of connectibility. It’s a wonderful part of one’s life.

‘Nuff said.

Now back to the Salt….

We got our act together early enough to make it to the record runs on the long course.

DSC02160.JPG

Danny Thompson, in Challenger 2, did it! His run today was just about a repeat of yesterday’s, but even better. The average, and new record, is now 448.757!!!

DSC02168.JPG
    DSC02170.JPG
    DSC02172.JPG
    I’m just going to let the pictures tell the story. We’re going to the Hop Up party at the bend in the entrance road tonight. Gotta reconnect.

DSC02163.JPG
    DSC02165.JPG
    DSC02175.JPG
    DSC02176.JPG
    DSC02179.JPG
    DSC02180.JPG
    DSC02181.JPG
    DSC02183.JPG DSC02184.JPG
    DSC02186.JPG
    Oh, by the way. Another pair of Maryland HAMBers have been putting on the miles. Andy and Jason Volpini drove their ’40 to Speed Week after going to the NSRA Nats in Louisville on the way.

DSC02236.JPG

He, I know, even without having to be reconnected…..

More later.

See you at the Salt.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Legends47, brEad, OL 55 and 21 others like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Those photos are incredible. What a great trip to be following along :)

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Irishjr what @Tim said and nice T & A shots...:D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  25. 63Compact

63Compact

Thanks for posting

loudbang likes this.
  26. August 12 - more pictures

DSC02189.JPG DSC02190.JPG DSC02191.JPG DSC02192.JPG DSC02193.JPG DSC02195.JPG DSC02196.JPG
    Look at the kid helping to push:

DSC02197.JPG

I think he's known as Joe Cool, youngest crew member:

DSC02213.JPG

DSC02199.JPG DSC02200.JPG DSC02201.JPG DSC02202.JPG DSC02203.JPG DSC02204.JPG DSC02207.JPG DSC02208.JPG DSC02209.JPG DSC02211.JPG
    DSC02216.JPG DSC02218.JPG DSC02219.JPG DSC02220.JPG DSC02221.JPG DSC02222.JPG DSC02223.JPG DSC02224.JPG DSC02225.JPG

Messing with the lyrics of a golden oldie:

I like Studebakers. I like posting H.A.M.B.........

DSC02227.JPG DSC02228.JPG

That's the limit of the number of pics allowed on one post. More to follow later.

Later......

brEad, chriseakin, OL 55 and 19 others like this.
  27. jchav62

jchav62

Great stories.. great photos. I'm jealous!

loudbang and Floater03 like this.
  28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man oh man. What a ride. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing

loudbang likes this.
  30. rd martin

rd martin