Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who's running external clutch slaves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Apr 28, 2018.

1. This is a visual of a 10:1 ratio lever.
    Everything about it either 1/10 or 10x
    IMG_1160.GIF
    What's not shown is if the long side moves 1.00" the short side would move 0.10" a 10:1 ratio too.

If it were 3:1 it would be the same relationship.

Your clutch fork is the same thing but the numbers are different but nobody knows what they are and your the only guy who can tell us.

2. Looks most likely to be a leverage issue. A longer fork will help but that eats up motion using a longer arc. If you can move the master up higher that would be your best bet. I had mine mounted lower and made up all sorts of linkage to get some mechanical advantage. If you can extend the fork, try that first.

I always had both the clutch and brake master on a common plate. It was handy and stiffened up the firewall. I made 2 aluminum ones.. too flimsy. Then my 1st steel one, a lot better but that's when I gave in to my leverage issue and made up a 2nd one with the clutch master mounted higher up.

3. Ahhh okay,that makes sense.

I did goof on my fork estimate. I found the piece I cut off and it's 2 3/8 long

4. Added a spacer to make the fork longer. Pedal is softer but clutch don't disengage

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What pivot ball (length) do have? Is your throw out bearing the right length? Disc backwards? I would think something should be happening if it's just even a little at least.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

31 Vicky, love you too.
    [​IMG]
    Consider this. OP's time isn't as valuable as your's.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  7. Everyone's time is valuable.
    Everyone needs some help sometimes.
    Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

And- Thankfully everyone is not the same.

There was a kid born without his left arm. He wanted to do stuff and somethings he just couldn't do. He joined up at a judo studio and the instructor saw only one thing. He taught the kid just one move. Over and over and over until the kid was perfect and felt up to asking the instructor to learn something else. Instructor said I have nothing else for you.

The kids first tournament came and the kid was scared and fearful but the instructor seemed to not care and simply told the kid he didn't need anything else. His first match came and the one armed kid won. Thinking it was a fluke the kid came to his second match and won that one too. That day he won the match and with that one boring move.

The kid asked his teacher how that was possible, did everyone let him win? Feeling sorry for the one armed kid?" The Sensie said "there is but only one defense for the institution you've practiced- that is for your opponent to grab your left arm or run away. You can not loose in the judo ring, do you think your opponents would rather run away from the one armed kid?"

vtwhead and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. It's not backwards. It's purely leverage issues now.

I found a way to add 2 1/4 inches to the pedal length. And I'm adding 1" to the fork, and notched a firewall brace to get another 1/4 movement, I think I will have added better leverage with 3" between the 2 changes

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Daniel-san did get the fly before Sensei.
    [​IMG]

10. after weeks of battling this. It works.

Added 2 1/4 to the pedal length, raised the whole pedal unit up half an inch (the maximum I could get and still get the master cylinder cover off)

Welded on another inch to the fork,left the existing flange on in case I needed it, clutch disengagement is working and the pedal is now reasonable to push. Still have just enough room to tuck my foot behind the clutch for highway driving too. Going to test drive it tomorrow night

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. So how did the drive go?
    All good and issues solved?

13. Are we ever gonna find out ?

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Maybe tomorrow never came around? o_O

15. Maybe?
    He had been busy hunting down a 327 rotating assembly the past few days here.

16. Man you are the man here. You remember everything!

I wanted to come back and give some feedback since I’ve had the clutch working a while now, it works pretty good.

To summarize,I got a bellhousing that had the window boss outline on the passenger side,cut it out,threaded the pivot ball on the passenger side and ran it all out that way, was having problems bleeding the CBC clutch slave. So here’s a tip if anyone is having a issue,whith the clutch slave bolted into position it can’t overcome the clutch to bleed, I left one end on the fork and the other end in my hand, had someone work the clutch and with one hand I’d work the slave slave in, bleed it,then pull it back out when they let off the clutch. It eventually bled.

I’m running a 1” wilwood clutch master,added a little length to my pedal to get leverage.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  17. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

3/4 master, nissan 3/4 slave , master wildwood corvette arm, soft push

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    bobss396 likes this.
  18. Mines really not that hard. It was mentioned that 3/4 did not have the movement I needed. The 7/8 slave and 1” master work well for me. My only complaint is I like the feel of mechanical clutches but there was no way to fit it.

Anyways I was t tying to revive this,just wanted to give some follow up on it working. I’ve took it on a 1 1/2 hour trip (each way) and the clutch has worked fine.

19. I run a 3/4" clutch master and 7/8" slave, the pedal has a decent amount of resistance to it. I have close to 8000 miles on it so far.

20. I mentioned that I had tried a 3/4 master. Wasn’t enough for my needs. I hear it’s a popular setup though. Probably for those who have more room for pedal travel which is what I was limited on. Seems to work well with this setup I’ve got going on

21. I got everything from A to Z from Speedway and the parts were recommended. I had a lot more room that you did. But I drove myself nuts for 3 weekends until I moved the pivot point to the stock location. I have a pile of clevises, heim ends and machined parts left over. I was able to use some of it in the final configuration.

22. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

bell crank4.JPG bell crank 3.JPG
    Here is my little Gizmo!! On f1

23. Hey I hear that. I know all too well about having parts left over from stuff that I had to change or redo. I e had my car 8+ years and I’m still cutting things/welding/changing things.

24. Richard Head

Richard Head

Sorry to hijack, what is the application of the Nissan 3/4” slave that are popular in this thread? They appear more compact than the 3/4” Toyota Landcruiser slave that I have used in the past

Attached Files:

25. What is the advertised stroke? If you can get enough motion at the fork you are good to go. I found that too many links and slop along the pedal-path can suck up some of that hydraulic motion.

26. You do know that is a Chevy slave cyl in the picture you attached to your question.

27. Richard Head

Richard Head

Sorry, I was misinformed, what is the application of the slave cylinder in the picture. Somewhere I thought it said Nissan.

28. '62 Chev pick-up is a good application to use. You can get them in 1" or 1-1/6" bore.