Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2018 NSRA Street Rod Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desoto, Aug 9, 2018.

1. tjm73

tjm73

Not HAMB friendly, but that turbo VW is interesting.

2. morac41

morac41

Hi Skip ..... Great coverage and a no nonsense explanation of your photographic skills

3. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Thanks for the pics! I'll take this one.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not sure I agree with the No Tent comment. We had a tent and I'm still suffering from a bad sunburn. Can't imagine how bad it would be without the tent. BTW our tent was not for cars.

Gary

timwhit likes this.
  5. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks for the photos. Snowman

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks for the pics, I have gone for many years. went again this year. really enjoyed it, talked to a lot of heat people. saw some killer cars. everybody does there own thing. lot of great ideas if your building. will be there again next year. 50th anniversary. giving away 2 cars. hard not to go. not everything there is everybodys taste, but one thing for sure, if ya go you will find something ya like! on the tents, it sure helps when your sitting out there and its 90 degrees plus!

Al Consoli and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. I don't have an issue with E-Z Up tents, it's the high dollar rental tents that take up most of the space in the west lot that I take issue with. It's too bad that the Chicago Mob had to move their air conditioned tent over into the field a few years ago. Those guys were an institution on the far side of the western parking lot.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/92382895@N07/28989032777/in/album-72157700009529585/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/92382895@N07/42113099060/in/album-72157700009529585/

8. As for no tent, I was out there all day Friday with shorts, black t-shirt and sneakers and no sunburn BUT I had sunscreen on any exposed skin. I might have spent all of 10 minutes all week under the St Louis Street Rods tent (on the grass, not the asphalt) and that's it. I've had heat stroke twice this summer already but I drank LOTS of water and used my sun screen religiously at the Nats and came home unscathed.

I guess I'm not one for sitting under a tent when I've driven 1000 miles to see cars, not people walking past my car. I was never anywhere near my car unless I needed to get something out of my camera bag or drop something off so I wouldn't have to carry it.

If I'm going to sit around, it'll be at the bar at the Crowne Plaza at night.

Legends47 and jim snow like this.
  9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thanks for sharing your pictures. There was something for everyone there. Lots of nice cars. I understand you not liking the cars under canopys for photographing but I understand the owners putting there cars under them. The sun is the most damaging element on a car and they sit in it for days. Sort of a garage away from home while parked. Your photos made me wish I was there. From all the complaining I have heard over the last few years, I didn't think it was worth going any more. I would have been thrilled to see just the cars you shot let alone knowing there were many more.

10. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

The cut off year is a what I refer to as a rolling 30 year rule. Anything 30 years old or older (this year is was 1988).

The count from this year was 10,190 cars.

11. A Boner

A Boner

10,000 cars and 190 hot rods........just kidding!

WiredSpider and Dan Hay like this.
  12. That's not, in my opinion, a legitimate argument i.e. sitting in the sun for a few days.
    My '34 has a lacquer paint job and, if anything, that should prohibit prolonged solar exposure.
    My car is garaged but when I go to a show it sits outside in the sun and the rain. The ride to and from the Nats, a thousand miles each way, is out in the sun and rain as well.
    I even hit a deer on the New York Thruway on the way home from the Nats last Sunday. Granted, it'd already been killed by the Mercedes SUV on the side of the road that I swerved to avoid colliding with but the carcass made a substantial disruption to my, otherwise, smooth ride.
    I, also, don't even own a car cover for it and that's been the case for 54 years now.

13. Thanks for sharing the pics. I agree, there is a bit of something for everybody. Sure does seem many cars could use a better set of wheels or better proportion. But then probably good for me to not hear what people think about my vehicles.

Couldn't make it this year, but will be there next year for sure!

14. 10,600 was annonced saturday at the give away.

15. 10,190 announced at the give-away, not 10,600

16. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

I missed this year and last due to conflicting commitments. Definitely will be there next year, registered and with a vehicle on the grounds for chance to win one of the giveaway cars.
    Two folks out of about 10,000 will win a car... better odds than the lottery!!!

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

The first picture I saw on the flicker was Skip Readeo sp. 34 ford sedan w/hemi and graphics. I met Skip for the first time around 1972. The car looks exactly the same as it did then. He must have a million miles on it. He would carry a big tool box in the back seat. I'm glad to see he's still at it. And Skip never had a tent over his car for protection against sun exposure, that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard for having a tent.

Pat

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    olcurmdgeon and pitman like this.
  18. missysdad1

missysdad1

Thanks for all the pix, Skip. Taking that many photos makes for a reeeeeeeeeealy long day! Not many of us old NSRA guys around any more. Glad to see you still kicking and that you're still driving your old hot rod. Thanks again for all you've done over the years and for posting these photos.

19. Thanks for the pictures!

20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

First off I was trying to compliment the OP for his excellent coverage of the event and while offering my appreciation and a simple suggestion of why people might use a tent or canopy to protect their cars from the elements,I get accused from the O P of arguing and now this. From my apparently ignorant past experience I must have been wrong that the sun exposure faded paint and upholstry ,hardened and cracked both including rubber windshield seals etc . I guess all of the cars I have owned are not as resilient as yours that are apparently impervious to the elements. I am truly sorry I offended both of you and wish I had never bothered to try and compliment. Some times I am embarrassed to be a part of this life long hobby of mine.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. My point wasn't that the sun doesn't have an effect on the paint, plastic and rubber.
    The point was that a tent at a car show simply to preserve the afore-mentioned materials is a lame excuse.
    I suppose it would be valid if the owner NEVER put the vehicle in the sun (ALWAYS garaged, ALWAYS transported in an enclosed trailer, ALWAYS displayed under a tent) but, then again, that's not a hobby. Its a display of the owner's vanity.
    Street rods, hot rods, customs, whatever you want to call them are meant to be driven, not parked under a tent or stored in a trailer.
    TrailersProof.jpg

buford36, jim32 and 1934coupe like this.
  22. Thanks for the great coverage Skip! Been a long time since the Ty-Rods at the Elks club. Hope all is well with you. We don't get back east anymore sadly.

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would have to say The Road Racey lookin Rambler wagon on the first page would be my pick of the pics You posted;)
    Thanks a bunch for sharing!

24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

EVERYBODY HAS THERE OWN AGENDA WHEN ATTENDING THE NATS. LAND OF THE FREE ,HOME OF THE BRAVE, BUILD YOU CAR AND PAINT IT THE COLOR YOU WANT. IF YA LIKE IT IN THE SUN, PARK IT THERE.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

NSRA nationals had always been a quality show. I personally don't like the 30 year rule.
    It's been quite awhile since I've been there, and don't know if I will ever go again after the treatment I received from NSRA after being a state safety rep and the state rep for over 20 years.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Oldsman, get over it. There's not too many shows where you can see over 10,000 cars.

Gary

i.rant likes this.
  27. HEAR! HEAR!

Ben

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Gman0046 I agree with that over 10000 cars is a lot, but I don't agree with the 30 year rule, way too many late models there because of that rule. Yes you don't have to look at them, but they detract from the overall look of the show.
    Enough said about NSRA.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow, now I need a 'builder'? Would that be a 'contractor'?
    Just goes to show how the genre has changed.
    'Builders' I got. But I call 'em roadsters, and a tub.
    There should be 'badges' for Tee shirts that denote true status. 'Builder'. And 'Owner'.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  30. We are planning on going to the 50th and will probably be driving the old Deuce sedan or Brenda's wagon. HRP

Legends47 and Gman0046 like this.