Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Preserving patina paint

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nailhead Jeff, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fact!. I have had a few bandit TAs painted at our local shop and they both sold north of 40k. I didn't pay 300 bucks either, those were closer to 4k but it would have cost me triple that any where else. Of course I know the owner which helps. they are production shops do you have to be careful, and you get what you pay for

2. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

Off topic a little TCP Global in San Diego will sell you all kinds of paint. They sold Acrylic Lacquer until 2016. When you put "Restoration" on the label lots of CA regulations go away.

3. Do they not sell it any more? That is the paint on my Model A, it is some really crappy paint, not anything like the old lacquer.

4. I've used pledge floor wax on my recent purchased 1952 Buick. Big difference from when i started. 20180729_184151.jpg

5. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

They don't sell the lacquer any more. And it was junk, used some on a 66 Corvette show car and was supposed to be concours correct. t wasn't. I did use their single stage urethane restoration paint on my wifes Mustang. Came out nice.

46international likes this.
  6. ^^^^got that right^^^^^

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Let it age naturally and preserve it the best you can. You said the paint is 50 years old. What's another 10?

I agree with NOT clear coating it. It'll look like crap and most folks will wonder if the 50 year old paint under that brand new clear is "fake patina". Worst example was that 50's Olds Gas Monkey clear coated. IMHO, this is right up there with taking a beautifully tarnished, decades old coin and cleaning it. My thoughts are that once you lay clear coat over an 'old finish, the car no longer has an 'old finish', because it's been 'repainted'.

8. I've been using #7 since the late 80's and I've told everyone who will listen about it. It's saved many paint jobs over the years, in fact I just did the '56 panel today......I'll take pics tomorrow. Every car has gotten a major paint restore after I bought it (I only do it once, then wax after that). This is lacquer from 1972 after compound, #7 and wax (granted it wasn't super oxidized to start with) :
    wax inside-1.jpg

40FORDPU likes this.
  9. I like the idea trying to save good or original paint. Yes, I'm cheap, don't want to pay 5k+ for a paint job, if I was to paint it I don't use cheap paint (why bother) and to me not every car has to be a show car (or a rat rod either). I drive my cars, park anywhere, in various climates, so thin, worn through, shiny paint is ok with me.

10. We sprayed some new single stage paint to match some old paint. To get the look of older paint we used 3000 and 5000 grit DA sandpaper. Did not buff. It had the look we needed. That look may work if you clear over your car

11. Just keep it in a garage.