Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 pickup sheet metal delaminating?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by area51bob, Mar 22, 2018.

1. area51bob

area51bob
    from san diego

this truck followed me home yesterday. the cab had been dipped to bare metal and i noticed some strange bubbles in one area on the left front. i started poking around and found that the metal seemed to blister out on both sides,so i drilled a hole in one of the blisters and found it was actually two layers of half the regular thickness. has anyone seen this before?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Odd. I don't know but am interested to find out if anyone else knows anything about this.
    It wasn't covered in lead was it?

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d guess you have an inner layer in there and it’s not really delaminating.
    The moisture may have been trapped between those two and caused the problem. Just speculating.

4. i really don't believe the "dipped to bare metal", looks like there is still paint and as 56don mentioned lead.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The difference in color in that area makes me think still has lead filler on it

oldrelics likes this.
  6. Looks like lead.

oldrelics likes this.
  7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Looks like the guy that spread the Lead didn't neutralize the acid after tinning. ?

X38 likes this.
  8. area51bob

area51bob
    from san diego

the area is definitely not leaded in that area. you can see what dipping did to the lead in the second picture. as i ripped the out side of the bubble off the pieces are magnetic.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. area51bob

area51bob
    from san diego

it is definitely down to bare metal. all the paint is gone. there is some seam sealer and there are a few areas where some filler was real thick and it did not remove all of it.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. Possibly bad metal from the factory. It's a wonder it has lasted all these years.

area51bob likes this.
  11. area51bob

area51bob
    from san diego

that’s what i’m thinking cause it is only on one section, there are bubbles right up to one side of the seam on the cowl and perfect on the other side.

shadetreerodder likes this.
  12. millersgarage

millersgarage

I found that on my 33 after the dip. I had some bubbles in the rear panel. Almost looked like it was a laminate bubble, or like it was plated.
    When I ground it off, it took a while for the edge to feather out.
    I have no idea why it happened, just that it did.

area51bob likes this.
  13. Maybe in the past that panel was replaced by someone using some odd metal? It is indeed strange.

area51bob likes this.
  14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if there were two layers of metal in the structure there but if there was we all know what happens when water and debris gets between the two pieces. Here is what happend to my Studebaker, there was the formed sheet metal for the front and there was an additional reinforcement piece spot welded underneath so the horn mounting would be more rigid, I had to cut the metal and reinforcement piece out and totally replace....all that said, somehow it doesn't look like that is the same issue you have. In my case it was just cut out and replace both the skin and the reinforcement. IMG_1513.JPG IMG_1514.JPG

15. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

The Greenhouse effect ^

16. oldolds

oldolds

That is factory installed rust. They were working on perfecting it for years. It took Ford until 1957-1960 to get it perfected. :eek:

54vicky likes this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd seen that once, on a car Mickey Sanders was working on. It was an English car, (Rolls-Royce, once owned by the previous Queen of England!)
    Mickey hated to cut a large patch, but was forced to.

area51bob likes this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'm guessing that there was some contamination in the steel that was trapped as it was rolled into sheet metal. I have seen this in non-automotive situations. At a machine shop I worked at we had something similar but different. Some aluminum bar stock that had separations inside it, that we only found while machining it.

"the previous Queen of England"
    Which one's that?

54vicky and area51bob like this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Okay, I'll answer my own question. The previous Queen of England was Victoria - so that's one old Rolls, considering she died in 1901.

area51bob likes this.
  20. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

Also not possible, as the first Rolls-Royce (the 10hp) was not released until December 1904.