Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2018 Banger Meet - Banger Driving Weather***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Looks like your center cam bearing isn't getting enough oil.

Or,

It wasn't lubed at assembly and it picked up some material from the block and galled up until it failed.

That is going to need bushing and a new cam.

2. 97

looks like maybe the cam moved , has it damaged any cam lobes/lifters? Is the thrust and timing gears OK?

3. Garpo

Garpo

Some replacement gaskets seem to compress a lot. May need to re torque several times. I always back the nut off a whisker, just enough to take the 'lock' off it, then pull down to chosen figure. Takes a wee bit longer but it works for me.
    Garpo

Dannerr likes this.
  4. But how can cam bearing not get enough oil? Oil pump exits right next to it...
    It wasn't gone through - just emptied and cleaned the oil pan, and installed with fresh oil (yeah, lesson learned!...).
    I'm afraid so- but there is no bushing in the block, so a lot more work...
    Cam (except timing gear section) seems fine.

Problem with the danish G28Ts is, that they were often used on pumps for Civilforsvaret (civil defence, sort of like the National Guard), and were not in use very often. So the magneto and/or drive might have been stuck at some point in time, starting the damage.

Has started the full tear down now, but I fear, it's too late to avoid machining the cam bearing... Will see, what I end up with, once apart...

5. Yup! Happened to me a couple of times until I quit using a V8 oil pump, cut out and run backwards! I guess that only works on engines running at about 2500 r.p.m. or less!

winduptoy and Dannerr like this.
  6. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

Ok so here it is, Morales-Gemsa head on model B, 600 miles road test.
    B bottom, two 97s, Scintilla magneto, custom one-off asymetrical cam, lightened flywheel , new std clutch, 39 std trans, 3.25:1 rear end, everything redone and new by yours truly.
    I finished the car, or at least road worthy. saturday July 28th. then a few shorter test runs, oil change, adjusting valves, leak check, torque settings check. I then packed up and went on a 600 mile roadtrip to Sweden for the A-Bombers meet.
    I`ve had A-V8s wth 276cid, 400jr set up, and other really healthy flatheads, i`ve tried winfield, Riley and Cragar bangers, but i dont even know how to start to explain how chocked i was at the torque and response in the Gemsa. absolutely no hesitation, no waiting, just unleashes hell instantly. 1/4" movement on my foot gives me 60 mph very quick.
    My teeth still hurts and i`ve slept for two days.
    22 miles to the gallon though (!)
    I never thought i would say this but it might be a little too much.
    In low gear the rear slips but in high gear the clutch slips, bad ass torque just of idle.
    Guess i will have to go for a 10" flyweighted clutch.

Moral of this boring story being, if you want to go balls deep in a banger build, do it! nothing like it!

20180805_125856.jpg facebook_1533543018636001.jpg 20180802_150908.jpg 20180603_160503_resized.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    edfueler, chriseakin, Tim and 13 others like this.
  7. ^^^^^^^Good Lord! That's one bitchin' truck .^^^^^^^

woodz, ROCKER77 and OHV DeLuxe like this.
  8. X 2

No doubt.
    Four port heads are the difference between running strong and STRONG!

J

edfueler, woodz, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  9. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X3! What a Beaut!

woodz likes this.
  10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

X4 on the truck!

11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

[​IMG]

Got the new engine put in last night. Now to put all the fancy bits on and hook it all up. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Does anybody here know about adjusting the advance curve on a Mallory 2301105 distributor? I read the curve can be changed but no info on how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

woodz, Dannerr, waxhead and 9 others like this.
  12. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

13. easy to do, follow instructions here https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/500-2318001.pdf
    note though, you may not need more advance on flathead type motor, you may need to reduce the total amount.
    springs are used to adjust when advance comes in.
    this is when the old sun dist machines become very important.

J

Old Dawg likes this.
  14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks the the info I will have to read that link. I seems that I am not getting enough advance at cruising speed. if I give it a little more advance it doesn't idle well. That was with the stock motor. I will have to play around with it on the new engine and see how it goes. Does anybody know the difference in advance curves between that modern Mallory and an old cast iron one model YA-11A ?

15. GuyW

GuyW

Here's my recent purchase. Old (?) Thomas head and dual 81 carbs, an unusual Thomas side cover with integral oil filter boss, and Mallory ignition. B motor (about which I know nothing of the internals) and trans. Pics at time of purchase - I'm still cleaning, fixing and modifying it.

If anyone knows anything about this car - I'm all ears...

Attached Files:

Herb Kephart, Dannerr, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  16. GuyW

GuyW

Having just bought that book at the Long Beach Model T Club Swap Meet, I don't think that prices is correct

17. I think that the chances of both or even one of those not being "adjusted" is pretty slim. Best to get on sun machine to see what is happening.

Herb Kephart, Old Dawg and Binger like this.
  18. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very clean machine John! Watching closely.

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Shouldn't you be on your way to Utah?

20. Jiminy

Jiminy

I did some searching and found the following posted 7/20/2017 by Jim Brierly "Color is $31, b/w is $24 including postage here in the U.S.A." I will update the header to show the color and b/w prices. I also saw someone else selling it for $42.95

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Dannerr likes this.
  21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I haven't tried the old Mallory yet. I can play with them some and see if I can get the results I like. I will see if I can find a machine and see what they are doing. Thanks for the advice. Good luck on the salt!!

22. yup,
    tomorrow night, gotta eat ya know!

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  23. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Stopped at my old machine shop to visit with my buddy and saw this sitting there.. Not up on the Miller conversion anyone enlighten me?
    miller2small.jpg miller2small.jpg miller3small.jpg

Attached Files:

woodz, Dannerr, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That mag drive set up is very cool on that engine.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

congrats are in order . Danny Thompson set S/l record . On Saturday, he had gone 411 mph. His official average time was 406.7 -- topping his father's historic 1960 one-way run by a hair. (hot rod)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkaBlCwUwAAZ93X.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well im a dollar short & day late as always . some one asked about coil temp. I just got around to checking .
    hot motor (160*) coil at 118* ………. hope this helps who ever ask ………… steve

Shutter Speed likes this.
  27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So we have been next to Danny Thompson in the pits. My starter died with a shorted field..... IMG_20180814_111321784_HDR.jpg I see no reason to reinstall the starter and have been pushing it off......this morning
    IMG_20180814_155359349_HDR.jpg Danny pushed it off

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

woodz, Tim, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

good for you . bummer on the starter . I understand danny's 2 motors are pretty radical …….. good luck

29. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

V4F, that was me, and thank you for checking. Those are exactly the #s I'm getting, AFTER spinning the coil so connections are on top. Previously, w/contacts DOWN, my coil ran 144*!

Problem solved, thanks to you and a gang of other thoughtful H.A.M.B.ers. You're making me feel right at home here!

Art

Dannerr likes this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sorry I took so long to remember . just old !

Shutter Speed likes this.