Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford 1/2 hood mounting suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jun 16, 2010.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I am looking for suggestions on how to fasten down a 32 Ford 1/2 hood with out side panels, I would also like to use the side panels on different occasions, so the fix has to be removeable. Hope someone can help. Larry :)

2. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

4. alchemy

alchemy

I just used a bungy cord between the hinge eyes, and it never flapped up on me.

robracer1 and bob b. like this.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I saw a 34 P/U with no visible hold downs. I asked the guy what holds your hood tops down? He said gravity and flipped one half up and watched as it fell back in place. He said it never comes up. I've never tried it but it was not fastened and he drove it there.

I made a spring loaded clasp that used 1/4" rod and the hinge tubes. for the cowl end and just used 1/4" rod across the front. There have been a few threads with lots of pictures of good ideas that you can find with a search.

I have an old Deuce hood top with holes obviously for sheet metal screws.:D

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Hoof also makes hood hold down kits Is a HAMB vendor.

7. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thanks Guys, but I knew about the straps which I dont really like. I tried a thread search earlier and couldnt find anything on it. That gravity idea would not work with my hood I am afraid. LOL

I guess I will try making brackets out of 5/16 rod using the existing hood rod channels on each end.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Several years ago I ran a top only hood on my deuce roadster and I took some SS 1/8 welding rod and made hooks that went in the hood rod slots and went toward the center and found some medium tension springs that I stretched between the hooks front and rear. Kept the hood tops down and tight for many miles until I installed the sides.

9. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Made these to keep my Hood on:D

Attached Files:

10. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Now that is what I am looking for, very good suggestion I will give it a shot. Thanks. Larry:cool::cool:

11. primed34

primed34

I did pretty much the same thing. I used screen door springs from the hardware store. It's worked great for twenty years.

12. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

I am using thin gauge piano wire with about 1/8 dia metal rods about 1 1/2 - 2" long, on each end, & just slide the pins into the stock rod opening on the hood. When installed the wire is tight & does a great job hold the hood down. There is a small hole drilled in the end of the pin for the wire to be tied to.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Here is the one I made to hold the hood at the 32 cowl. The hook goes under the lip on the cowl. The spring forces the hook to the rear. The angle of the hook wedges the hood tight against the hood lacing so no rattles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took these pictures at a show. I wish I was a machinist.:D

14. hotroddude

hotroddude

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Late breaking news...?